Do you want the debate to end?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2012, 09:39 PM

RE: Do you want the debate to end?
Read (if you all even read books) The End of Science: Facing the Limits of Knowledge in the Twilight of the Scientific Age by John Horgan. It's not a religious or atheist book.
Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2012, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2012 07:38 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-04-2012 09:39 PM)Egor Wrote:  Read (if you all even read books) The End of Science: Facing the Limits of Knowledge in the Twilight of the Scientific Age by John Horgan. It's not a religious or atheist book.

But the Horgan book teaches nothing about real science. Kurzweil, on the other hand, actually has an optimistic view, based on his DATA,
presented in very nice visually graphic detail, throughout the book, (The Singularity is Near).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_change
When we, with implated data chips/network connections, connect to the central info bank every 4-6 hours or so, to synch and upload the latest upgrades, and download every book and article ever written, every new discovery, and at some point, bio-upgrades for any emerging diseases, the Age of Religion will be toast. BTW, US Navy researchers have connected nano-technology, and nerve cells. Won't be long now. Tongue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_change
http://www.ted.com/talks/ray_kurzweil_on...rm_us.html

BTW Igor, if you'd take off the head set you use to talk to your Paramecia, things might look a little different. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-04-2012, 12:29 PM
(21-04-2012 03:04 AM)Egor Wrote:  The Church is dying. Science is dying, and so is atheism. The new debates will be between the rival cults.
I don't consider this a prophecy. I consider it kind of obvious from what I observe happening around me.

The only part of what you said there that is true is the church is dying. The better educated a population the more religion seems to die.

Science will exist as long as there is a universe. Science has come massive strides in the last few decades. Non religious is the fastest growing 'belief' system in the western world. So to say they are "dying" just shows that you are blind to the world around you.

If anything both science and atheism are as far from dying as they could get. In fact you could say that they are only just beginning.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
22-04-2012, 01:17 PM
I've read that end of science book. The author was OK, not super sharp but he had some ideas. As far as I remember he was a journalist though, not a scientist, and he spent a lot of time in the book interviewing philosophers rather than scientists, also from what I remember his interviews were pretty much similar to when a creationist interviews Dawkins - he just tried to twist their words to get them to say what he wanted to say.

That's what I remember. I read it a long time ago so it's possibly distorted, but I clearly remember finishing it and thinking "what a load of shite". I subsequently found out that it had caused a bit of a shitstorm in the scientific community on grounds that it was absolute hogwash, so ja, I wouldn't put too much faith in it Wink

Like I said, the guy did raise one or two interesting points but overall it just seemed like one of those popular science books written to sell - not particularly presenting anything interesting, just a catchy title, nice cover and some pseudo-intellectual blather inside.
22-04-2012, 01:53 PM
(20-04-2012 04:56 AM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  Whether or not it will is a different question. The chances are that it won't but do you want it to end?

I ask because I remember watching the four horsemen a while ago and Christopher Hitchens said that he doesn't think the debate (about god and religion) will end nor does he want it to end. I can't remember his reasons for that statement however.

It also leads me to the question of the purpose of philosophy. Although I haven't studied a lot of philosophy I always wonder whether it is useless or not.

so would you want the debate to end?
I think it's important to note that religion/theism is really just a piece (albeit a large one) of a much larger pie of superstitious, non-skeptical, non-scientific, non-evidentual, uncritical thinking.

Even if the debate over religion where to end someday, that wouldn't likely end the root of the problem. You'd probably still have folks coming up with all sorts of other superstitious dogma on par with stuff like astrology, fortune-telling, conspiracy theory(s), etc.

That's why I think it's important to tackle the root of the issue (learning how to use evidence-based skepticism as a core critical thinking tool) with the youth. That's why I try to volunteer with kids and work on brainstorming content (videos, video games, etc.) that could subtly teach kids this key skill in a way that doesn't clash with their parent's theistic leanings.

Like our friend Whitney Houston once said, "I believe the children or our future, teach them well and let them lead the way" Thumbsup

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
22-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I thought that it had ended?
There was a debate between theists and atheists.
The atheists won hands down and the debate ended.
Most of the audience left except for the hardcore supporters of the theists.
The hall is empty except for the theists and the hardcore followers declaring themselves victorious.
They are still there now while the world goes on without them.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
22-04-2012, 02:19 PM
(22-04-2012 02:09 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I thought that it had ended?
There was a debate between theists and atheists.
The atheists won hands down and the debate ended.
Most of the audience left except for the hardcore supporters of the theists.
The hall is empty except for the theists and the hardcore followers declaring themselves victorious.
They are still there now while the world goes on without them.

What debate? Did I miss something?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post