Do you wish it were true?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2011, 08:07 PM

RE: Do you wish it were true?
I'm not sure I understand the OP. Are you asking if anyone wishes that Christianity was completely accurate? If it were I hope I'd have the decency and self-respect to choose hell or death over spending any time around that particular God. But if you mean the idea of there being a God and an afterlife, then I'm not sure.

I am tempted by the idea, and if I had to choose right now between permanent death in eighty years or an eternity in some sort of heaven, then I'd pick heaven. But I don't know if that would be the right choice. Existing forever might not be that great, and it would take away any meaning there was to this short life. It's hard to comprehend the idea of eternal life though, and whether it would be torture or paradise. So I really have no idea whether I'd like it to be true or not.
Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2011, 05:24 AM

(16-05-2011 08:07 PM)Zach Wrote:  I'm not sure I understand the OP. Are you asking if anyone wishes that Christianity was completely accurate? If it were I hope I'd have the decency and self-respect to choose hell or death over spending any time around that particular God. But if you mean the idea of there being a God and an afterlife, then I'm not sure.

I am tempted by the idea, and if I had to choose right now between permanent death in eighty years or an eternity in some sort of heaven, then I'd pick heaven. But I don't know if that would be the right choice. Existing forever might not be that great, and it would take away any meaning there was to this short life. It's hard to comprehend the idea of eternal life though, and whether it would be torture or paradise. So I really have no idea whether I'd like it to be true or not.

It's kind of a loaded question though I don't mean it to be. There could be a certain comfort when someone says give up your life for Jesus and let him take control. But the reality is we are responsible for ourselves.

So there are a lot of variables you could talk about with this question...but I mean in general...follow the rules, go to Heaven. Even get some virgins if you want.
Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2011, 06:42 PM
When I first left church, I wanted Jesus to be real and the Christian story to be true more than anything (except for my desire to believe the truth.) I agonized and studied for three years before I concluded that there really was no god. If you has asked me during that first few years I would have said, Yes! I wish it were true.

Now, twenty seven year later, I know the bible much better and I'm so happy that there is no god. Of course if I did see proof (whatever that would be...) I think I would accept it. That being said, I don't think I would worship him or be a Christian. Now I think the Christian religion and it's teachings are morally bankrupt.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Let's say for the sake of argument that you asking only about an afterlife. If there was an afterlife, where I could spend an eternity living with my friends, family, and be content with my lot there, would I wish for it?

Perhaps. It sounds too much like immortality though; never dying cause technically I'd already be dead. Immortality never really appealed to me because it wouldn't seem like living to me. You'd just exist. Why enjoy life when you've an eternity's worth? Things would likely not change, at least not with any sense of urgency, because there isn't any when you're going to live forever. I'm not sure I would want that. I'm not saying that you couldn't enjoy it, just that it would likely get old after awhile.

Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told.
-George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
19-05-2011, 12:36 PM
No, if any of the current religions were proven correct I'd be disgusted to know that the supreme being would be so petty and cruel. I would be happy to find out there was an afterlife but only if the baggage that went along with it was far less, or explained in a way that works. I can't imagine that happening.

I'd like to think that I have the 'stones' to say no if given the option to go to heaven if some form of Christianity is true and I was to be judged and found acceptable. What kind of person would I be to go along to paradise with the murdering tyrant. It would be like a toadie who sucks up to the dictator while his friends and family are being tortured. No thanks.

Like I say though, a spiritual afterlife without the other crap is a nice thought.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
22-07-2013, 10:30 PM
It's an old thread but I'll give it a shot.

I hope the Christian god doesn't exist. When jesus folk do what they do and try to talk me into believing, I warn them that if they do convince me, then I've got a reason to be mad, not just a dislike for a character in a book.
23-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Fucking n00bs and their necroposting... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
23-07-2013, 05:38 AM
(23-07-2013 05:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking n00bs and their necroposting... Dodgy

And the necroposting commenters
23-07-2013, 05:49 AM
(23-07-2013 05:38 AM)Hitched_Gibson Wrote:  
(23-07-2013 05:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking n00bs and their necroposting... Dodgy

And the necroposting commenters

And the necroposting replies. Tongue

As to the OP, I know that there was no Jesus. As to the secondary question, fuck no. Who wouldn't wanna live forever? This guy, that's who.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
23-07-2013, 06:18 AM
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Do you want to prove, without a doubt, that Jesus exists? Because that it easy, it has already been done.
The thing that is hard to prove, is whatever or not he went around doing magic tricks, and whatever or not God really exists.