Do you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2015, 04:45 PM
RE: Do you?
(22-08-2015 07:29 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 07:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  You're suggesting we should turn those kids into steak to save their minds from religion?

No, but I do think that, as horrified as I am by the indoctrination of children by their parents (and their parents' churches) into the insanity that often comprises the tenets of organized religion (what Sagan called "the demon-haunted world"), it's a worse horror to interfere with other people raising their children unless the harm rises to the level of clear emotional abuse.

Like raising them to be Dallas Cowboys fans, for instance... that has to stop.

Hey now, becoming a Dallas Cowboys fan in Redskins territory was the one of the first times that I went against the norm in my area... maybe that helped to prepare me to break away from my evangelical Christian roots?

See, the Cowboys can do some good in the world Big GrinBig Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cozzymodo's post
22-08-2015, 04:49 PM
(22-08-2015 04:45 PM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 07:29 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  No, but I do think that, as horrified as I am by the indoctrination of children by their parents (and their parents' churches) into the insanity that often comprises the tenets of organized religion (what Sagan called "the demon-haunted world"), it's a worse horror to interfere with other people raising their children unless the harm rises to the level of clear emotional abuse.

Like raising them to be Dallas Cowboys fans, for instance... that has to stop.

Hey now, becoming a Dallas Cowboys fan in Redskins territory was the one of the first times that I went against the norm in my area... maybe that helped to prepare me to break away from my evangelical Christian roots?

No No they can't. Unless they can beat the Pats.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
22-08-2015, 06:14 PM
(22-08-2015 04:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 04:45 PM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  Hey now, becoming a Dallas Cowboys fan in Redskins territory was the one of the first times that I went against the norm in my area... maybe that helped to prepare me to break away from my evangelical Christian roots?

No No they can't. Unless they can beat the Pats.

New Orleans is currently kicking Patriot ass, 15-0 in the first quarter.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-08-2015, 06:22 PM
"Do I ?"
No. it makes you go blind.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
22-08-2015, 06:29 PM
(22-08-2015 06:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 04:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  No No they can't. Unless they can beat the Pats.

New Orleans is currently kicking Patriot ass, 15-0 in the first quarter.

Preseason don't count. "My third-stringer can beat your third-stringer" isn't really impressive.

EDIT: Holy crap! I just started seeing apologists in a whole new way!
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
22-08-2015, 06:30 PM
(22-08-2015 06:29 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 06:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  New Orleans is currently kicking Patriot ass, 15-0 in the first quarter.

Preseason don't count. "My third-stringer can beat your third-stringer" isn't really impressive.

I was just trying to give Anj some hope. Dodgy

22-08-2015, 06:56 PM
(22-08-2015 04:45 PM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  See, the Cowboys can do some good in the world.

No they can't.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-08-2015, 08:59 PM
(22-08-2015 06:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 04:45 PM)Cozzymodo Wrote:  See, the Cowboys can do some good in the world.

No they can't.

Their cheerleaders can. Especially Debbie. Yes

23-08-2015, 08:50 AM
I try not to convert anybody. If they do something that they shouldn't be doing, or are hurting people, I'll argue against that. If they want to debate god's existence, I'll do that too.

If someone is comforted by the idea that death isn't the end, and they're nearing death, I wouldn't want to take that away from them. Nor would I want to take away the comfort of the idea that they may see their loved ones again if they've recently lost someone. The hardest question my daughter has ever asked me is "Is my mom in heaven?" because her grandparents told her that she was. (When she was living with them, they'd take her to church every Sunday). I didn't want to lie to her about my beliefs (nor did I want to force my beliefs on to her), but I also didn't want to take away any comfort she might feel by thinking she'll see her mom again. I ended up telling her that I didn't know, and that some people believe in heaven, and other people believe other things about what happens after death and that nobody knows for certain. Personally I've always found it weird when people say "They're in a better place now." When people say that, I hear "Suicide is a great option!"

I'm fine with people believing. So long as their 'something' doesn't interfere with other people, and doesn't hurt them. (Such as giving all their money to a preacher who lives in a mansion that would make Donald Trump look humble, or refusing treatment, or being a bigot, or thinking that laws should be based on their thousand year old book written by sheepherders, or some guy who married a nine year old)
[+] 2 users Like Ash's post
24-08-2015, 06:09 AM
The topic is open season if not brought up by me.