Doc's Ebonic Sunday skoo, foo'

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
12-12-2014, 02:07 PM
RE: Doc's symbiotic Sunday School (you scratch my ...)
(12-12-2014 01:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Doc, what would happen if their traps had the clap?

See what you started? It now sounds like a rap.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-12-2014, 02:18 PM
(12-12-2014 01:36 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Am I the only one who finds it incredible that people were/are capable of believing such obvious clap-trap?

Anyone who does is a sap.

You should check out John Allegro's book "The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth". He goes into a lot of the Essene and gnostic beliefs which include all this pap.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-12-2014, 03:13 PM
(12-12-2014 02:18 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 01:36 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Am I the only one who finds it incredible that people were/are capable of believing such obvious clap-trap?

Anyone who does is a sap.

You should check out John Allegro's book "The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth". He goes into a lot of the Essene and gnostic beliefs which include all this pap.

Unfogged,
I haven't read the book, but I think it's unlikely to contain much gnostic material, since Gnosticism is a post-Christ philosophy while the Dead Sea Scrolls deal with the pre-Christian Essenes and I don't remember them having such weird beliefs. Correct me if I am wrong.
Doc
12-12-2014, 05:43 PM
(12-12-2014 03:13 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  I haven't read the book, but I think it's unlikely to contain much gnostic material, since Gnosticism is a post-Christ philosophy while the Dead Sea Scrolls deal with the pre-Christian Essenes and I don't remember them having such weird beliefs. Correct me if I am wrong.
Doc

His book starts off about the scrolls and the community from circa 100BCE but follows it through the start of Christianity and various gnostic sects in the first 100 years CE. There's discussion of groups that were supposed to revere menstrual blood and semen.

12-12-2014, 08:54 PM
(12-12-2014 05:43 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 03:13 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  I haven't read the book, but I think it's unlikely to contain much gnostic material, since Gnosticism is a post-Christ philosophy while the Dead Sea Scrolls deal with the pre-Christian Essenes and I don't remember them having such weird beliefs. Correct me if I am wrong.
Doc

His book starts off about the scrolls and the community from circa 100BCE but follows it through the start of Christianity and various gnostic sects in the first 100 years CE. There's discussion of groups that were supposed to revere menstrual blood and semen.

OK. Thank for the info. I might try borrowing the book from the library.
Regards,
Doc
12-12-2014, 09:06 PM
(12-12-2014 01:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Doc, what would happen if their traps had the clap?

I'd go to the ER and get rid of it in a snap.
Um...well...Confused

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-12-2014, 09:23 PM
(12-12-2014 09:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

I'd go to the ER and get rid of it in a snap.
Um...well...Confused

That's a wrap.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-12-2014, 07:35 AM
(12-12-2014 08:54 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 05:43 PM)unfogged Wrote:  His book starts off about the scrolls and the community from circa 100BCE but follows it through the start of Christianity and various gnostic sects in the first 100 years CE. There's discussion of groups that were supposed to revere menstrual blood and semen.

OK. Thank for the info. I might try borrowing the book from the library.
Regards,
Doc

That would be worthwhile; I'm not sure I can actually recommend buying it as I found it to be a little confused and lacking a consistent theme. It has a lot of good info, I just don't much like his writing style. I'm looking for suggestions of other good reading materials on both the Essenes and the Gnostics if anybody has any they like.

16-12-2014, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2014 03:00 PM by docskeptic.)
Just a little sumpin' sumpin' I've been working on

[attachment=2433]

It's another paper model and it's not finished yet.

Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
17-12-2014, 05:29 AM
RE: Doc's melodramatic Sunday School
(12-12-2014 03:13 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(12-12-2014 02:18 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Anyone who does is a sap.

Unfogged,
I haven't read the book, but I think it's unlikely to contain much gnostic material, since Gnosticism is a post-Christ philosophy while the Dead Sea Scrolls deal with the pre-Christian Essenes and I don't remember them having such weird beliefs. Correct me if I am wrong.
Doc

Hey doc, i ain't no expert on this , but I'll add a little...

The term “Gnostic” is a convenient one, as it packages some very diverse groups into a neatly labeled whole, yet things were not that simplistic due to the diversity of beliefs. The term means ‘one who knows’, rather than designating a distinct doctrine.

It is a common misconception that Gnosticism began during the Christian era, yet people who are now considered to be Gnostics existed thousands of years beforehand. Gnostics were, in fact, very eclectic, as they tried to interpret many religious ideologies and philosophies. The Greek philosopher Pythagorus was a “Gnostic,” as was the Jewish philosopher Philo. Mandaeanism was a form of Gnosticism dating from the 4th century BCE that tried to bridge Judaism with Zoroastrianism, and it was very influential on Christianity.

During the Christian era, “Gnosticism” became more of a monolithic movement associated with Christianity, although the term itself was never used until the modern era.

Edward Gibbon wrote that the Gnostics were distinguished as the most polite, learned, and the wealthiest of the early Christians, and that their principal founders were natives of Syria or Egypt. They blended their faith in Christ with many “sublime but obscure tenets,” which they derived from oriental philosophy and even from the religion of Zoroaster, (628–551 BCE) an ancient Iranian prophet, philosopher and poet, and others. There were many groups of them, all of which can be considered as proto-Christians. Instead of the four Gospels eventually adopted by the church, the Gnostics produced a multitude of histories in which the actions and discourses of Christ and his apostles were discussed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post