Doc's Ebonic Sunday skoo, foo'

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
19-10-2017, 04:19 PM
RE: Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)
So, the more I look at Jeremiah, the more stuff there is to see. I have talked about deuterographs before where one part of the Bible is word-for-word identical to another part. Well, while looking at Jeremiah, I found a quatrograph (my own neologism!) where four sections of the Bible are identical, 2 of them essentially word for word and 2 nearly so.

Jeremiah 52:4-27 and 31-34 is essentially word-for-word identical to 2 Kings 25:1-21 and 27-30. The same story is more briefly recapped in Jeremiah 39 and 2 Chronicle 36. Basically, the story is about the invasion of Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon and the utter destruction of the Jewish Temple.

So, why all this waste of Scripture real estate to tell the story of the destruction of Jerusalem? Why did God not use the space to talk about, say, personal hygiene, slavery, rape or the Boston Celtics? I'm guessing that the destruction of Jerusalem was so traumatic to the Jewish psyche that the compilers of the OT crammed in the story wherever they could. For example, the story in Jeremiah 52 is completely out of context with what preceded it in chapter 51 which predicted the destruction of Babylon, not Jerusalem.

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
20-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Also, this:

20-10-2017, 02:25 PM
(20-10-2017 01:41 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Also, this:

Wow, a Martin Luther action figure! I'm actually tempted to get one!
20-10-2017, 02:33 PM

Facepalm Laugh out load

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
21-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Choking hazard, indeed ...
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
21-10-2017, 03:25 PM
(21-10-2017 12:28 PM)mordant Wrote:  
Choking hazard, indeed ...

I think that's referring to the laughter-inducing potential of the toy.

Anyhoo, back to Jeremiah for a moment.

Earlier, I talked about the siege of Jerusalem by the Babylonians under Nebuchadnezzar. Depending on who you read, the siege lasted from anywhere between 18 to 30 months. So severe was the famine that resulted from the blockade that the Israelites resorted to cannibalism in desperation. This is described by the author of Lamenatations (Jeremiah, according to the conservatives) in 2 separate verses:

“Look, Lord, and consider: Whom have you ever treated like this? Should women eat their offspring, the children they have cared for?" (Lam. 2: 20)

With their own hands compassionate women have cooked their own children, who became their food when my people were destroyed. (Lam. 4: 10)

Odd behavior for a God who calls Israel the apple of his eye. I'd hate to be his enemy.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
21-10-2017, 03:37 PM
"Lord, the people are starving. Can you not give them manna to eat?"

"Let them eat children."

No gods necessary.
24-10-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: D's laconic S.S.
Wait. They were atheists?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
24-10-2017, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2017 01:27 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I have a question Mister Doctor, Master of the Sunday School.
In Maccabees 2, it describes Jeremiah "going" out to the place where Moses had "seen the inheritance of God", (supposedly down in the Sinai desert ... a LONG way away to walk, no problemo), and there hid the altar, the arc, and the golden table of incense. We never hear of the arc again. But the table of incense shows up (again) in the Arch of Titus in Rome, showing the spoils of war, they took when Temple II was sacked. https://www.google.com/search?q=altar+of...K2cswmN0M:
No arc. Where is it ? How did the altar of incense get back, and they forgot the arc ? My suspicion is there never was one, since it could only be seen once a year by the High Priest

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-10-2017, 01:38 PM
(24-10-2017 01:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
they forgot the arc ?

I believe it was raided then lost. Or was it lost then raided?

I know this from a documentary narrated by Harrison Ford.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post