Doc's anarchic Sunday School (a Bible free-for-all)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
11-01-2016, 04:30 PM
RE: Doc's pedagogic Sunday School (no, it's not what you think it is)
(11-01-2016 02:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 02:24 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  So, there is an interesting sequel to this episode. After destroying (most of) Saul's household, David himself faced a revolt led by his son Absalom (2 Samuel 15) and was forced into exile. While he was fleeing, he came across a man called Shimei who cursed him from a distance saying, “Get out, get out, you murderer, you scoundrel! The Lord has repaid you for all the blood you shed in the household of Saul, in whose place you have reigned. The Lord has given the kingdom into the hands of your son Absalom. You have come to ruin because you are a murderer!”

David's followers wanted to kill Shimei, but David asked them to "Leave him alone; let him curse, for the Lord has told him to." In fact in 2 Sameul 19, when David returned in triumph after defeating Absalom and met Shimei again, he pardoned him saying, "“You shall not die.” And the king promised him on oath."

However, when he was on his deathbed, David appears to have changed his mind. In 1 Kings 2, he tells his successor, Solomon, "And remember, you have with you Shimei son of Gera, I swore to him by the Lord: ‘I will not put you to death by the sword.’ But now, do not consider him innocent. You are a man of wisdom; you will know what to do to him. Bring his gray head down to the grave in blood.”

These were the last words of David before he died.

I just thought I'd share.

Doc

I know that the Jewish conception of afterlife was / is different to the NT version, in that throughout the OT people seemed to fear dying, and the LORD would smite people and *kill* them as a punishment for innocuous things like trying not to let the ark of the covenant fall while in transit by lending a helpful shoulder and so forth, which seems odd, since... y'know, in the NT it was made clear that killing someone wasn't hardly a punishment at all, since what was to be feared was going to hell.

Like, ol' Solomon's gonna go and whack this geezer over the head for insulting his daddy-o, but the geezer didn't exactly commit a sin right? So according to NT shouldn't he be going to heaven? So what's to fear about having your gray head brought down to the grave in blood? What's the point of Solomon doing it? It only makes sense to me if the *dying* is what is to be feared.

i.e. I think people back then were more sensible than people now and knew that if you kill a cow there's no essence of cow that keeps going, it's kaput! Finish. Ended. And the same applies to humans...

Just some thoughts... not sure how factual they may be.

But if you kill the cow, don't forget to use the beef steak! Call it essence of cow or not, which ever you prefer!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2016, 04:32 PM
(02-04-2013 06:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 06:22 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Wow, why did I never think to follow him? On it!

And on that day dear children the first seeds of Fryism were born. Soon to raze the world in fire and put to the sword all the non-followers of the feed. Now let us all recite shakespeare in the nude as our lord did intend.

My brother-in-law always claimed to be a nudist buddhist!
11-01-2016, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2016 10:07 PM by docskeptic.)
(11-01-2016 02:55 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 02:24 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  So, there is an interesting sequel to this episode. After destroying (most of) Saul's household, David himself faced a revolt led by his son Absalom (2 Samuel 15) and was forced into exile. While he was fleeing, he came across a man called Shimei who cursed him from a distance saying, “Get out, get out, you murderer, you scoundrel! The Lord has repaid you for all the blood you shed in the household of Saul, in whose place you have reigned. The Lord has given the kingdom into the hands of your son Absalom. You have come to ruin because you are a murderer!”

David's followers wanted to kill Shimei, but David asked them to "Leave him alone; let him curse, for the Lord has told him to." In fact in 2 Sameul 19, when David returned in triumph after defeating Absalom and met Shimei again, he pardoned him saying, "“You shall not die.” And the king promised him on oath."

However, when he was on his deathbed, David appears to have changed his mind. In 1 Kings 2, he tells his successor, Solomon, "And remember, you have with you Shimei son of Gera, I swore to him by the Lord: ‘I will not put you to death by the sword.’ But now, do not consider him innocent. You are a man of wisdom; you will know what to do to him. Bring his gray head down to the grave in blood.”

These were the last words of David before he died.

I just thought I'd share.

Doc

This reminds me so much of The Godfather, where Michael had a whole list of people to kill, but only after old Vito was dead.

How uncanny. David ("Mad Dog") also had a hit list. Look what he says in 1 Kings 2: 5-6 (original Sicilian version): "Yo, Solomon. When you become-a-da capo, don' fuhgeddabout Joab. You whack-a-da sumbitch, capiche?"

The NIV translates it as, "Now you yourself know what Joab son of Zeruiah did to me—what he did to the two commanders of Israel’s armies, Abner son of Ner and Amasa son of Jether. He killed them, shedding their blood in peacetime as if in battle, and with that blood he stained the belt around his waist and the sandals on his feet. Deal with him according to your wisdom, but do not let his gray head go down to the grave in peace."

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post