Doc's anesthetic Sunday School (comfortably numb since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
14-08-2016, 12:25 PM
RE: Doc's dysphagic Sunday School (thanks Bucky!)
(14-08-2016 08:58 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(14-08-2016 06:08 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  So when did you go from Docstupid to Docskeptic?

To my eternal shame, not till I was 42 years old , so I don't even have Mark's excuse of being too young to know any better. I just lacked the courage to acknowledge the truth.

Doc

Hey, better late than never. Imagine how many people have the voice saying something is wrong and never have the courage to listen to it. There is no shame in not wanting to commit social suicide. Look on the bright side, it also allowed you to open arguably the best sunday school that operates 7 days a week.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac

Insults provoked by Heywood: 151 banned
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
14-08-2016, 12:30 PM
RE: Doc's dysphagic Sunday School (thanks Bucky!)
(10-08-2016 03:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 08:44 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Misogyny isn't the only major problem with that passage. Given that we now know, both genetically and historically, that the people we call "Jews" were not a single people as portrayed in the Exile-era propaganda (oops, I mean the Old Testament) but an amalgamated group of Semites who simply had a religious code to divide them from other people, that passage is racist as fuck. It basically says to attack people who marry outside the race!

(Oops, my mistake, I shouldn't have said "people"... I meant to say "women". It's important to speak in Biblically-accurate terms.)

RS76, you are correct. This was primarily an example of xenophobia with a little misogyny thrown in.

There is an interesting sequel to this episode in Nehemiah. Despite his slapping and hair-pulling, he was unable to eradicate the evil of mixed marriages in Judah. Now, there was a second wave of Babylonian returnees and their story is told in Ezra. Despite the fact that the events narrated in Ezra follow that in Nehemiah, in the Bible, the book of Ezra comes before Nehemiah. Go figure. In any case, Ezra, too, is disturbed by all the foreign women he sees in Judah and this is what he says in Ezra 10: 10-11: “You have broken faith and married foreign women, and so increased the guilt of Israel. Now then make confession to the LORD, the God of your fathers and do his will. Separate yourselves from the peoples of the land and from the foreign wives.

The people agree but raise some objections in v. 12-13, "It is so; we must do as you have said. But the people are many, and it is a time of heavy rain; we cannot stand in the open. Nor is this a task for one day or for two, for we have greatly transgressed in this matter."

So, the main concern of the people is that they don't want to get wet in the rain or to wait too long to hear judgment on their individual cases. No one seems to care that these "foreign" women and their half-breed children, so far from home, were to "be put away". As long as Ezra and YHWH are pleased, these folks were expendable. In the end it took about two months for the appointed judges to examine each man who had married a foreign wife, but Ezra does not say what happened to these unfortunate women and their children. The mind boggles at the possibilities.

Doc

At the least we can assume that a lot of smiting went on.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
18-08-2016, 02:35 AM
RE: Doc's anesthetic Sunday School (comfortably numb since 2013)
[Image: God-at-his-computer.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-08-2016, 06:42 AM
RE: Doc's anesthetic Sunday School (comfortably numb since 2013)
So, here's a neat little game you can play on unsuspecting proselytizers. The next time someone shows up at your doorstep wanting to share "the good news", ask him/her what their church's stance on lapsarianism is. After waiting for the deer-in-a-headlight look to fade, ask shim/sher to specify whether they are supra-lapsarians or infra-lapsarians. If there is still no response, explain that you want to know whether it believes that God created the universe with the Fall of Adam predestined (supra-lapsarian) or if God's plan for the universe began after the Fall (infra-lapsarian).

Here's the interesting part. If they say supra-lapsarian, ask how God could create the universe knowing that the majority of humans would perish in hell and what that does to the doctrine of free will. If infra-lapsarian, ask how an omniscient God could fail to foresee the Fall. It's great fun.

Of course, this only works for Christian sects which believe in the Fall of Adam. If a Muslim appears at your door, simply show up wearing nothing but NRA4ever and Donald Trump bumper stickers draped strategically over parts of your anatomy.

If a Hare Krishna shows up, tell it that you already achieve Nirvana daily by watching the naughty channels on your cable TV.

The person who comes up with the most creative response is the winner.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post