Doc's atopic Sunday School (allergic to ignorance since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
11-08-2015, 07:26 PM
RE: Doc's paraplegic Sunday School (standing on the promises of God)
(11-08-2015 08:47 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 06:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  One thing I've always been fascinated by is the ridiculous economic system proposed in Leviticus 25, that property sold shall be returned by the buyer to the seller every 50 years. It can't have lasted long if at all... is that not clear evidence that God's supposedly infallible legal sense is a crock of shit? Leviticus 25 also proposes that every 7th year shall be a "Sabbath year" where everyone shall not plant crops but God will amazingly bless people the year before so that there's no need. How does such drivel become holy?

MD,
Sorry for the delay. Been busy at work. I wrote this elsewhere in another context, but I think it's worthwhile posting here:

Leviticus 25 is entirely given over to the description of the Year of Jubilee. In it, the Lord (through Moses) describes how to calculate the Year of the Jubilee. What follows is an extended account of the agronomic, economic, real estate, and labor laws that are to be observed that year. In essence, every fifty years, all debts are to be cancelled, all sold land to be redeemed, all arable land to lay fallow, and all Israelite bond servants or slaves to be freed (alas, this last provision did not extend to non-Israelites).

Given the massive disruption in farming and business that would follow a strict adherence to the law, we are not surprised to learn that there is no evidence that this law was ever followed on a nationwide basis. Why would Moses indulge in an entire chapter of 54 verses and 1,359 words to describe a law that has never been put into practice? Could not those verses have been spared to describe laws or practices that might actually benefit the human race, instead of promoting impracticable laws that have an exactly zero chance of being put into practice now or ever?

This portion of the Bible was clearly written by a non-economist who could have had no idea of the havoc such a law would wreak among farming practices, business transactions, real estate deals, inheritance laws and (eventually) banking practices. In other words, this portion was written by a loon.

Doc

You do know that the "tithe" came from the loony priests writing into law the they were to be given 1/10 of the crops. Actually they brought the crops to the temple, and gave a little to Yahweh (as a sacrifice), and kept the rest. Quite the racket. Oh wait. They still do it. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study. "I believe Mr. Peanut is the Messiah" -- onlinebiker
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-08-2015, 09:21 PM
(11-08-2015 07:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 08:47 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  MD,
Sorry for the delay. Been busy at work. I wrote this elsewhere in another context, but I think it's worthwhile posting here:

Leviticus 25 is entirely given over to the description of the Year of Jubilee. In it, the Lord (through Moses) describes how to calculate the Year of the Jubilee. What follows is an extended account of the agronomic, economic, real estate, and labor laws that are to be observed that year. In essence, every fifty years, all debts are to be cancelled, all sold land to be redeemed, all arable land to lay fallow, and all Israelite bond servants or slaves to be freed (alas, this last provision did not extend to non-Israelites).

Given the massive disruption in farming and business that would follow a strict adherence to the law, we are not surprised to learn that there is no evidence that this law was ever followed on a nationwide basis. Why would Moses indulge in an entire chapter of 54 verses and 1,359 words to describe a law that has never been put into practice? Could not those verses have been spared to describe laws or practices that might actually benefit the human race, instead of promoting impracticable laws that have an exactly zero chance of being put into practice now or ever?

This portion of the Bible was clearly written by a non-economist who could have had no idea of the havoc such a law would wreak among farming practices, business transactions, real estate deals, inheritance laws and (eventually) banking practices. In other words, this portion was written by a loon.

Doc

You do know that the "tithe" came from the loony priests writing into law the they were to be given 1/10 of the crops. Actually they brought the crops to the temple, and gave a little to Yahweh (as a sacrifice), and kept the rest. Quite the racket. Oh wait. They still do it. Weeping

Didn't the priests also eat the meat from sacrificed animals?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2015, 06:03 AM
(11-08-2015 09:21 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 07:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You do know that the "tithe" came from the loony priests writing into law the they were to be given 1/10 of the crops. Actually they brought the crops to the temple, and gave a little to Yahweh (as a sacrifice), and kept the rest. Quite the racket. Oh wait. They still do it. Weeping

Didn't the priests also eat the meat from sacrificed animals?

The priests set themselves up with a nice little protection racket...

Leviticus (KJV)
(7:32) And the right shoulder shall ye give unto the priest [for] an heave offering of the sacrifices of your peace offerings.
(7:33) He among the sons of Aaron, that offereth the blood of the peace offerings, and the fat, shall have the right shoulder for [his] part.
(7:34) For the wave breast and the heave shoulder have I taken of the children of Israel from off the sacrifices of their peace offerings, and have given them unto Aaron the priest and unto his sons by a statute for ever from among the children of Israel.

(8:31) And Moses said unto Aaron and to his sons, Boil the flesh [at] the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and there eat it with the bread that [is] in the basket of consecrations, as I commanded, saying, Aaron and his sons shall eat it.

(10:12) And Moses spake unto Aaron, and unto Eleazar and unto Ithamar, his sons that were left, Take the meat offering that remaineth of the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and eat it without leaven beside the altar: for it [is] most holy:
(10:13) And ye shall eat it in the holy place, because it [is] thy due, and thy sons' due, of the sacrifices of the LORD made by fire: for so I am commanded.
(10:14) And the wave breast and heave shoulder shall ye eat in a clean place; thou, and thy sons, and thy daughters with thee: for [they be] thy due, and thy sons' due, [which] are given out of the sacrifices of peace offerings of the children of Israel.
(10:15) The heave shoulder and the wave breast shall they bring with the offerings made by fire of the fat, to wave [it for] a wave offering before the LORD; and it shall be thine, and thy sons' with thee, by a statute for ever; as the LORD hath commanded.

Numbers
(18:17) But the firstling of a cow, or the firstling of a sheep, or the firstling of a goat, thou shalt not redeem; they [are] holy: thou shalt sprinkle their blood upon the altar, and shalt burn their fat [for] an offering made by fire, for a sweet savour unto the LORD.
(18:18) And the flesh of them shall be thine, as the wave breast and as the right shoulder are thine.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
12-08-2015, 10:23 AM
RE: Doc's dyslexic Snuday School
(11-08-2015 06:17 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  I would imagine that year 49 would see record debt levels and everyone will try to sell their land

Aww, it wasn't all that bad.

Consider the following: The Hebrew slave of a Hebrew could make and keep money and buy himself off (Lev. 25:49) with a pro-rated price depending upon how many years were left till the Jubilee Year (price ranges from 30 shekels to a talent).

This provision unfortunately did not extend to female Hebrew slaves or non-Hebrew slaves.

BTW, love your avatar.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
13-08-2015, 03:04 AM
RE: Doc's dyslexic Snuday School
(12-08-2015 06:03 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-08-2015 09:21 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Didn't the priests also eat the meat from sacrificed animals?

The priests set themselves up with a nice little protection racket...

Leviticus (KJV)
(7:32) And the right shoulder shall ye give unto the priest [for] an heave offering of the sacrifices of your peace offerings.
(7:33) He among the sons of Aaron, that offereth the blood of the peace offerings, and the fat, shall have the right shoulder for [his] part.
(7:34) For the wave breast and the heave shoulder have I taken of the children of Israel from off the sacrifices of their peace offerings, and have given them unto Aaron the priest and unto his sons by a statute for ever from among the children of Israel.

(8:31) And Moses said unto Aaron and to his sons, Boil the flesh [at] the door of the tabernacle of the congregation: and there eat it with the bread that [is] in the basket of consecrations, as I commanded, saying, Aaron and his sons shall eat it.

(10:12) And Moses spake unto Aaron, and unto Eleazar and unto Ithamar, his sons that were left, Take the meat offering that remaineth of the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and eat it without leaven beside the altar: for it [is] most holy:
(10:13) And ye shall eat it in the holy place, because it [is] thy due, and thy sons' due, of the sacrifices of the LORD made by fire: for so I am commanded.
(10:14) And the wave breast and heave shoulder shall ye eat in a clean place; thou, and thy sons, and thy daughters with thee: for [they be] thy due, and thy sons' due, [which] are given out of the sacrifices of peace offerings of the children of Israel.
(10:15) The heave shoulder and the wave breast shall they bring with the offerings made by fire of the fat, to wave [it for] a wave offering before the LORD; and it shall be thine, and thy sons' with thee, by a statute for ever; as the LORD hath commanded.

Numbers
(18:17) But the firstling of a cow, or the firstling of a sheep, or the firstling of a goat, thou shalt not redeem; they [are] holy: thou shalt sprinkle their blood upon the altar, and shalt burn their fat [for] an offering made by fire, for a sweet savour unto the LORD.
(18:18) And the flesh of them shall be thine, as the wave breast and as the right shoulder are thine.

Wow! I'm impressed by your scholarship. Thank you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user