Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
26-10-2014, 11:13 PM
RE: Doc's bellerophonic Sunday School (proclaiming the good news since 2013)
(26-10-2014 08:54 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(26-10-2014 12:56 PM)Ace Wrote:  how do I deal with an idiot who believes this to be 100% true ? I've told him its immoral but he thinks its justified in every way Facepalm

he thinks everything your parents say is true by default for no other reason than them saying it, he said parents saying smoking is bad therefore everything else they say is true.... WTF!:facepalm:smoking is bad for your health regardless of what anyone says Facepalm

along with the death never existed before eating the apple bullshit is true,

whats the best way to deal with this idiot ?

Here's how I would handle it. I first quote Exodus 20:5 at him, "You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me" and watch him justify the verse.

Once he's run out of breath, you turn around and quote Ezekiel 18:20 viz., "The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child" and watch him try to squirm out of that one.

Write back and let us know how it went.

Doc

so what do I do if he decides to shift the question/goal post ?
we all know these people can and will do it or decide to act like the bible verse doesn't exist
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2014, 05:44 AM
(26-10-2014 08:54 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Here's how I would handle it. I first quote Exodus 20:5 at him, "You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me" and watch him justify the verse.

Once he's run out of breath, you turn around and quote Ezekiel 18:20 viz., "The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child" and watch him try to squirm out of that one.

Write back and let us know how it went.

Doc

But...but...but...you're taking it out of context! FacepalmWeeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2014, 06:36 AM
Exodus 22: 20-26
20 “You shall not molest or oppress an alien, for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt.
21 You shall not wrong any widow or orphan.
22 If ever you wrong them and they cry out to me, I will surely hear their cry.
23 My wrath will flare up, and I will kill you with the sword; then your own wives will be widows, and your children orphans.
24 “If you lend money to one of your poor neighbors among my people, you shall not act like an extortioner toward him by demanding interest from him.
25 If you take your neighbor’s cloak as a pledge, you shall return it to him before sunset;
26 for this cloak of his is the only covering he has for his body. What else has he to sleep in? If he cries out to me, I will hear him;
for I am compassionate.”

Sure you are.
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-10-2014, 07:00 AM
(27-10-2014 06:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exodus 22: 20-26
20 “You shall not molest or oppress an alien, for you were once aliens yourselves in the land of Egypt.
23 My wrath will flare up, and I will kill you with the sword; then your own wives will be widows, and your children orphans.
24 “If you lend money to one of your poor neighbors among my people, you shall not act like an extortioner toward him by demanding interest from him.
25 If you take your neighbor’s cloak as a pledge, you shall return it to him before sunset;
26 for this cloak of his is the only covering he has for his body. What else has he to sleep in? If he cries out to me, I will hear him;
for I am compassionate.”

Sure you are.
Facepalm

Damn. Did I forget to use the irony font again? Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-10-2014, 07:06 AM
(27-10-2014 07:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  Damn. Did I forget to use the irony font again? Facepalm

Apparently, so did these guys.

Clueless

Doc
27-10-2014, 09:36 AM
(27-10-2014 06:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exodus 22: 20-26
for I am compassionate.”

Sure you are.
Facepalm

let me get my facts straight
"I will kill you because I'm a nice person"..................... no hypocrisy here *sarcasm*
27-10-2014, 10:59 AM
By Jove, I have it! A reliable way to recognize a theist.

Doc's first law of religiosity now states that "The total lack of irony (also called cluelessness) is a defining feature of the religious".

See, for example, Moses writing of himself in Numbers 12:3: "Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth."

Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
27-10-2014, 03:16 PM
(27-10-2014 10:59 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  By Jove, I have it! A reliable way to recognize a theist.

Doc's first law of religiosity now states that "The total lack of irony (also called cluelessness) is a defining feature of the religious".

See, for example, Moses writing of himself in Numbers 12:3: "Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth."

Doc

"I'm a million times as humble as thou art"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-10-2014, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2014 06:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-10-2014 10:59 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  By Jove, I have it! A reliable way to recognize a theist.

Doc

I'm not home to look it up, but the tense in the Hebrew verb is strange as I recall, Doc. So, besides the "humble" business" there's another "WTF" moment in that line. I think it's normally translated as (Moses writing about HIMSELF !!) "and a more humble man *never arose* in all of Israel".

Now how in the hell would he know that ? (Of course you're going to get "Well he was a prophet"), but that line was one of the famous "What did he say ?" lines/clues that started Medieval scholars thinking maybe he didn't really write what it says he wrote, as clearly it's being written from a "look-back", but from a future point of view.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Alas, so soon after I formulated Doc's first law of religiosity, I find that I have to retract it. Today, a two-pack a day smoker patient of mine said that she only eats organic food, because, you know, "all those chemicals they add in processed food are bad for you." Such breathtaking cluelessness forced me to re-think my position that cluelessness is a defining feature of the religious. I have therefore decided to reword my first law of religiosity to the more succinct "Idiocy abounds". More pithy, I think, what?

Doc