Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
27-10-2014, 07:30 PM
RE: Doc's bellerophonic Sunday School (proclaiming the good news since 2013)
(27-10-2014 07:17 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alas, so soon after I formulated Doc's first law of religiosity, I find that I have to retract it. Today, a two-pack a day smoker patient of mine said that she only eats organic food, because, you know, "all those chemicals they add in processed food are bad for you." Such breathtaking cluelessness forced me to re-think my position that cluelessness is a defining feature of the religious. I have therefore decided to reword my first law of religiosity to the more succinct "Idiocy abounds". More pithy, I think, what?

Doc

Maybe she smokes all-natural cigarettes made from pesticide-free, organic, free-range tobacco. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-10-2014, 07:53 AM
RE: Doc's bellerophonic Sunday School (proclaiming the good news since 2013)
(27-10-2014 03:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-10-2014 10:59 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  By Jove, I have it! A reliable way to recognize a theist.

Doc's first law of religiosity now states that "The total lack of irony (also called cluelessness) is a defining feature of the religious".

See, for example, Moses writing of himself in Numbers 12:3: "Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth."

Doc

"I'm a million times as humble as thou art"

I didn't know Moses was Amish. Funny, he doesn't look Amish.

Doc
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
10-11-2014, 11:00 AM
RE: Doc's anthropomorphic Sunday School (made in God's image)
Chas: Hey, Doc. Are you playing with dolls?

Doc: Yes. Why?

Chas: Umm, never mind. You know when the Israelites were slaves in Egypt and God brought them out by inflicting the 10 plagues on Egypt?

Doc, shaking his doll: Yes, indeed. God showed his power by bringing the children of Israel out of captivity "with a strong hand and an outstretched arm".

Chas: Well, when he first told Moses to go to Pharaoh, all he instructed him to say was "The Lord, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us. Let us take a three-day journey into the wilderness to offer sacrifices to the Lord our God." Wasn't there an intention to deceive Pharaoh by making him believe that the Israelites merely wanted to take a picnic in the Egyptian desert and sit around singing Kumbaya?

Doc, pounding the doll's head: No. God knew that Pharaoh would refuse to let the Israelites go if a direct demand for freedom was made. So, he tried this subtle trick.

Chas: Trick. Lie. Deception. It's all the same. Odd behavior for a God.

Doc, sticking needles into the doll: Why isn't this working?
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
10-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Funny how God resembles man and his predilections in all the stories huh?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-11-2014, 01:19 PM
(10-11-2014 11:00 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Doc, sticking needles into the doll: Why isn't this working?

Laugh out load It worked alright! Doc you have slain me...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-11-2014, 02:58 PM
(10-11-2014 11:10 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Funny how God resembles man and his predilections in all the stories huh?

Absolutely! Doc's second law of religion says that "People get the god that they deserve". Hence, the Jews and the Nazis get YHWH, most of the Arab world gets Allah and the American gods look like:

this

and

this

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
10-11-2014, 03:55 PM
(10-11-2014 02:58 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 11:10 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Funny how God resembles man and his predilections in all the stories huh?

Absolutely! Doc's second law of religion says that "People get the god that they deserve". Hence, the Jews and the Nazis get YHWH, most of the Arab world gets Allah and the American gods look like:

this

and

this

Doc

JB is Canadian & OJ is Retardian

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-11-2014, 03:57 PM
(10-11-2014 03:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 02:58 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Absolutely! Doc's second law of religion says that "People get the god that they deserve". Hence, the Jews and the Nazis get YHWH, most of the Arab world gets Allah and the American gods look like:

this

and

this

Doc

JB is Canadian & OJ is Retardian

Stealing foreign gods is a tradition very nearly as old as gods themselves.

So there's that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
10-11-2014, 03:59 PM
(10-11-2014 03:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 03:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  JB is Canadian & OJ is Retardian

Stealing foreign gods is a tradition very nearly as old as gods themselves.

So there's that.

Yes, there is that isn't there?

10-11-2014, 05:16 PM
(10-11-2014 11:00 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Chas: Hey, Doc. Are you playing with dolls?

Doc: Yes. Why?

Chas: Umm, never mind. You know when the Israelites were slaves in Egypt and God brought them out by inflicting the 10 plagues on Egypt?

Doc, shaking his doll: Yes, indeed. God showed his power by bringing the children of Israel out of captivity "with a strong hand and an outstretched arm".

Chas: Well, when he first told Moses to go to Pharaoh, all he instructed him to say was "The Lord, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us. Let us take a three-day journey into the wilderness to offer sacrifices to the Lord our God." Wasn't there an intention to deceive Pharaoh by making him believe that the Israelites merely wanted to take a picnic in the Egyptian desert and sit around singing Kumbaya?

Doc, pounding the doll's head: No. God knew that Pharaoh would refuse to let the Israelites go if a direct demand for freedom was made. So, he tried this subtle trick.

Chas: Trick. Lie. Deception. It's all the same. Odd behavior for a God.

Doc, sticking needles into the doll: Why isn't this working?

Ouch. WTF? Ouch.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post