Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
11-11-2014, 07:55 AM
RE: Doc's anthropomorphic Sunday School (made in God's image)
morondog: Doc, you know the point Chas brought up about God lying?

Doc: Mmmm?

morondog: You know, it wasn't the first time that God lied. For example, in the Garden of Eden, he told Adam and Eve that on the day they ate of the tree of the of the knowledge of good and evil, that they "would surely die." But they never did.

Doc: Mmmm?

morondog: Also, in 1 Sam. 16:2 when God decided to crown David in place of the deranged King Saul (whom God hand-picked, by the way, to become the first king of Israel), he told the prophet Samuel to lie to king Saul and say that he was going to Bethlehem, not to crown a new king, but to ""take a heifer with (him) and say, 'I've come to sacrifice to the LORD.'" How can a righteous God tell an outright lie or a partial truth?

Doc, removing his earphones: You say something?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like docskeptic's post
12-11-2014, 12:21 PM
RE: Doc's anthropophagic Sunday School
You know, it's interesting. We've been talking about God telling lies. The Bible directly supports the argument that God is not above deceit and lying. See, for example, 1 Kings 22:19–-22, where the prophet Micaiah describes the sending of a lying spirit by God into the mouths of the prophets of Ahab.

The interesting part is that Lucifer or Satan (called a liar and the father of lies in John 8:44), has actually not been documented to tell a lie. All his utterances recorded in the Bible are actually truths.

Who is the liar here? And why is the devil more moral than God? Are we worshipping the wrong God? Why am I asking all these questions?

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
12-11-2014, 12:32 PM
(12-11-2014 12:21 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Why am I asking all these questions?

Why God, why? If you're omnipotent surely you can shut this evil bastard's yap?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-11-2014, 12:38 PM
(12-11-2014 12:21 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  You know, it's interesting. We've been talking about God telling lies. The Bible directly supports the argument that God is not above deceit and lying. See, for example, 1 Kings 22:19–-22, where the prophet Micaiah describes the sending of a lying spirit by God into the mouths of the prophets of Ahab.

The interesting part is that Lucifer or Satan (called a liar and the father of lies in John 8:44), has actually not been documented to tell a lie. All his utterances recorded in the Bible are actually truths.

Who is the liar here? And why is the devil more moral than God? Are we worshipping the wrong God? Why am I asking all these questions?

Doc

Interesting. The word "lucifer" refers to the "day star", and was originally used in a different context. The "falling of the day-star" (originally the King of Babylon) I vaguely remember as a fascinating tale. Is that were the "fall of the devil" originated ?
Oops, gots to go to class.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-11-2014, 06:42 PM
With all this talk of God lying, I'm a little concerned that people might get the wrong impression. While certain portions of the Bible seem to frown upon lying, other portions clearly show that not only did God lie but so did other heroes of the Bible like Abraham, Isaac, Rahab and David who were not only not punished but positively rewarded for their actions.

The ambiguity sends mixed messages to the reader like the one I saw in a restroom recently.

This message had me worried. What if an employee washed one part of his or her anatomy but not the other? What if he or she did both but in the wrong sequence?

The believer is in a similar state. To lie or not to lie or do both. What a dilemma!

Doc
29-11-2014, 01:48 PM
I have now achieved the TTA status of semi-regular poster. Since this also describes the state of my bowels, I feel that there is some deep significance to this achievement and am experiencing a religious awakening.

Doc
[+] 10 users Like docskeptic's post
29-11-2014, 01:51 PM
(29-11-2014 01:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  I have now achieved the TTA status of semi-regular poster. Since this also describes the state of my bowels, I feel that there is some deep significance to this achievement and am experiencing a religious awakening.

Doc

May I suggest The Way of the Stark Raving

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-11-2014, 01:56 PM
(29-11-2014 01:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  I have now achieved the TTA status of semi-regular poster. Since this also describes the state of my bowels, I feel that there is some deep significance to this achievement and am experiencing a religious awakening.

Doc

This calls for a celebration!

[Image: celebrate.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
30-11-2014, 05:19 PM
(29-11-2014 01:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Doc

This calls for a celebration!

Yes, indeed. I was relieved to hear of my promotion. I was full of it. Apprehension, I mean. I worried that I would be unable to empty myself- of all the fears I had that I would never be recognized. Now this promotion has flushed away my fears and all obstruction to my creativity has been wiped away and I'm no longer in the dump.

I can't wait till I'm a frequent poster like Chas. What bliss!

Doc
30-11-2014, 05:30 PM
(30-11-2014 05:19 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 01:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This calls for a celebration!

Yes, indeed. I was relieved to hear of my promotion. I was full of it. Apprehension, I mean. I worried that I would be unable to empty myself- of all the fears I had that I would never be recognized. Now this promotion has flushed away my fears and all obstruction to my creativity has been wiped away and I'm no longer in the dump.

I can't wait till I'm a frequent poster like Chas. What bliss!

Doc

Many of us strive to be like Chas. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat