Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
30-11-2014, 05:50 PM
RE: Doc's anthropophagic Sunday School
(30-11-2014 05:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 05:19 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Yes, indeed. I was relieved to hear of my promotion. I was full of it. Apprehension, I mean. I worried that I would be unable to empty myself- of all the fears I had that I would never be recognized. Now this promotion has flushed away my fears and all obstruction to my creativity has been wiped away and I'm no longer in the dump.

I can't wait till I'm a frequent poster like Chas. What bliss!

Doc

Many of us strive to be like Chas. Tongue

Be careful what you ask for. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-11-2014, 05:52 PM
RE: Doc's anthropophagic Sunday School
(30-11-2014 05:19 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 01:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This calls for a celebration!

[Image: celebrate.gif]

Yes, indeed. I was relieved to hear of my promotion. I was full of it. Apprehension, I mean. I worried that I would be unable to empty myself- of all the fears I had that I would never be recognized. Now this promotion has flushed away my fears and all obstruction to my creativity has been wiped away and I'm no longer in the dump.

I can't wait till I'm a frequent poster like Chas. What bliss!

Doc

It's a heavy burden and a terrible responsibility. Many stumble along the path. Sad

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2014, 08:31 AM
RE: Doc's tautologic Sunday School (a tautologic Sunday School)
I'm a little shaken. I thought I'd read it all, but then I encountered this while reading through the Church Fathers. There was a church historian called Epiphanius who composed a book called the Panarion. It is now lost and what a loss, for it contained a treasure trove of material that is almost certainly gone for ever. Other Church Fathers have preserved fragments of Epiphanius' book, among which is the little gem I just read.

The book is called the "Greater Questions of Mary" and is a gnostic text that preserves some dialogue between Jesus and Mary (probably the Magdalene). Here's a sample and just a sample (parentheses mine):

"For in the so-called 'Greater Questions of Mary'—there are also 'Lesser' ones forged by them (the gnostics)—they claim that he (Jesus) reveals it to her (Mary) after taking her aside on the mountain, praying, producing a woman from his side, beginning to have sex with her, and then partaking of his emission, (consuming his own semen) if you please, to show that 'Thus we must do, that we may live.'

Now, if you don't mind I'll have a little orange juice with a spot of gin and a lie-down to soothe my spirit.

Doc
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
10-12-2014, 09:16 AM
RE: Doc's tautologic Sunday School (a tautologic Sunday School)
(10-12-2014 08:31 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  I'm a little shaken. I thought I'd read it all, but then I encountered this while reading through the Church Fathers. There was a church historian called Epiphanius who composed a book called the Panarion. It is now lost and what a loss, for it contained a treasure trove of material that is almost certainly gone for ever. Other Church Fathers have preserved fragments of Epiphanius' book, among which is the little gem I just read.

The book is called the "Greater Questions of Mary" and is a gnostic text that preserves some dialogue between Jesus and Mary (probably the Magdalene). Here's a sample and just a sample (parentheses mine):

"For in the so-called 'Greater Questions of Mary'—there are also 'Lesser' ones forged by them (the gnostics)—they claim that he (Jesus) reveals it to her (Mary) after taking her aside on the mountain, praying, producing a woman from his side, beginning to have sex with her, and then partaking of his emission, (consuming his own semen) if you please, to show that 'Thus we must do, that we may live.'

Now, if you don't mind I'll have a little orange juice with a spot of gin and a lie-down to soothe my spirit.

Doc

Good to see your "Sunday School is a Sunday School", and not on Wednesday evenings. Thumbsup

That reminds me of the Gospel of Thomas, (I think) where the apostles ask Jesus to turn Mary into a man so she can "fully partake of the mysteries". Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-12-2014, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 02:00 PM by docskeptic.)
RE: Doc's anti-septic Sunday School (sterilizing the church since 2013)
The other day, I was shaken. Today, I'm stirred. To the core of my soul, that is. On further review of the "Greater Questions of Mary" I find that the weirdness does not stop at Jesus producing a woman out of his own side, having sex with her and then eating his own semen. Oh, no. The weirdos go much further than that.

They (the Phibionites) also believed in the sanctity of menstrual blood and taking a line through Proverbs 5:15 which says, "Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well", did exactly that, consuming a woman's menstrual blood.

Considering that Epiphanius was briefly a prospective member of this sect, it appears that his statements may be based on truth. He also complained to the bishops of Alexandria, who expelled about 80 members of the sect from the city, indicating a small but appreciable presence of the sect in the city.

Am I the only one who finds it incredible that people were/are capable of believing such obvious clap-trap? Unsurprisingly, when I mention examples of odd belief to Christians, their response is usually one of incredulity, as in, "Eating semen and menstrual blood? Ewww!" But, "Eating Christ's body and drinking his blood? That's all right." Sometimes, I despair of the human race. The bonobos should have won out.

Where's my martini?

Doc
[+] 5 users Like docskeptic's post
12-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Doc, what would happen if their traps had the clap?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
12-12-2014, 01:44 PM
(12-12-2014 01:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Doc, what would happen if their traps had the clap?

Safer to fap...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
12-12-2014, 01:52 PM
I just need a nap.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-12-2014, 02:01 PM
(12-12-2014 01:36 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  The other day, I was shaken. Today, I'm stirred. To the core of my soul, that is. On further review of the "Greater Questions of Mary" I find that the weirdness does not stop at Jesus producing a woman out of his own side, having sex with her and then eating his own semen. Oh, no. The weirdos go much further than that.

They (the Phibionites) also believed in the sanctity of menstrual blood and taking a line through Proverbs 5:15 which says, "Drink water from your own cistern, running water from your own well", did exactly that, consuming a woman's menstrual blood.

Considering that Epiphanius was briefly a prospective member of this sect, it appears that his statements may be based on truth. He also complained to the bishops of Alexandria, who expelled about 80 members of the sect from the city, indicating a small but appreciable presence of the sect in the city.

Am I the only one who finds it incredible that people were/are capable of believing such obvious clap-trap? Unsurprisingly, when I mention examples of odd belief to Christians, their response is usually one of incredulity, as in, "Eating semen and menstrual blood? Ewww!" But, "Eating Christ's body and drinking his blood? That's all right." Sometimes, I despair of the human race. The bonobos should have won out.

Where's my martini?

Doc

What a bunch of crap.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
12-12-2014, 02:05 PM
(12-12-2014 02:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  What a bunch of crap.

At Titty-Yay, we have it on tap.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post