Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
25-12-2014, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2014 03:53 PM by docskeptic.)
RE: Docstoevsky's Slavic Sunday School
Referring back once again to Daniel 10:3, where we read of the devil resisting or detaining Jesus somehow for 21 days. Jesus then calls Michael for help and manages to break out of his detention.

However, this is not the only time that the devil gets the upper hand. In Jude 1:9 it says that "even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"" So, once again we see that it takes at least two persons to handle the devil with one of them being God (or Jesus). Even so, they are just about able to contain the devil, not defeat him.

Consider that it took God the Father, the Holy Spirit and Jesus the Son with 2/3rds of the loyal angels to eject the devil and 1/3rd of the disloyal angels from heaven (Revelation 12:3-9). Also, the devil seems to be on easy terms with the Trinity. He can waltz into heaven at any time, bet against God the Father (see Job) and hobnob with Jesus in the desert. At the very least, all this evidence seems to point to the Devil as a deity in his own right, maybe even the 'right' deity. Maybe we're worshiping the 'wrong' God?

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
25-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Re: RE: Docstoevsky's Slavic Sunday School
(23-12-2014 02:02 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  No. There's more action in the movie. Legolas, flitting from falling brick to falling brick...

Are you sure you're not thinking of Mario or Luigi?
27-12-2014, 07:42 PM
(25-12-2014 04:39 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 02:02 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  No. There's more action in the movie. Legolas, flitting from falling brick to falling brick...

Are you sure you're not thinking of Mario or Luigi?

Alas, I wish I was, Clockwork. Peter Jackson is infatuated with Legolas being involved in impossible fight sequences. Oliphaunts - OK. Legions of Uruk-hai - fine. Hosts of goblins - acceptable. But, defying gravity while battling an Orc boss? That's going too far.

I wish Mr. Jackson had stuck to the book, or at the least brought in Gimli instead of Legolas. But, short, bearded women don't buy as many movie tickets as teenaged girls do, so there you go.

Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
28-12-2014, 02:03 AM
(27-12-2014 07:42 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alas, I wish I was, Clockwork. Peter Jackson is infatuated with Legolas being involved in impossible fight sequences. Oliphaunts - OK. Legions of Uruk-hai - fine. Hosts of goblins - acceptable. But, defying gravity while battling an Orc boss? That's going too far.

Sorta makes you wonder why they didn't just march straight to Mordor and tell Legolas to murder and pillage 'til there was nothing left.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-12-2014, 05:54 PM
RE: OCD's neurotic Sunday School
(27-12-2014 07:42 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 04:39 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Are you sure you're not thinking of Mario or Luigi?

Alas, I wish I was, Clockwork. Peter Jackson is infatuated with Legolas being involved in impossible fight sequences. Oliphaunts - OK. Legions of Uruk-hai - fine. Hosts of goblins - acceptable. But, defying gravity while battling an Orc boss? That's going too far.

I wish Mr. Jackson had stuck to the book, or at the least brought in Gimli instead of Legolas. But, short, bearded women don't buy as many movie tickets as teenaged girls do, so there you go.

Doc

I think Peter Jackson is just infatuated with falling + fighting in general (needn't involve Legolas). See his remake of King Kong. The big ape battling dinosaurs in free fall is classic. Not at all believable, but quite entertaining.
04-01-2015, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 06:58 AM by TheInquisition.)
(25-12-2014 03:33 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Referring back once again to Daniel 10:3, where we read of the devil resisting or detaining Jesus somehow for 21 days. Jesus then calls Michael for help and manages to break out of his detention.

However, this is not the only time that the devil gets the upper hand. In Jude 1:9 it says that "even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"" So, once again we see that it takes at least two persons to handle the devil with one of them being God (or Jesus). Even so, they are just about able to contain the devil, not defeat him.

Consider that it took God the Father, the Holy Spirit and Jesus the Son with 2/3rds of the loyal angels to eject the devil and 1/3rd of the disloyal angels from heaven (Revelation 12:3-9). Also, the devil seems to be on easy terms with the Trinity. He can waltz into heaven at any time, bet against God the Father (see Job) and hobnob with Jesus in the desert. At the very least, all this evidence seems to point to the Devil as a deity in his own right, maybe even the 'right' deity. Maybe we're worshiping the 'wrong' God?

Doc

Why should I be surprised at these crazy biblical interpretations? There are obvious problems that arise as soon as these characters start being interpreted as a symbolic representation for someone else.
I suppose the correct term is Vaticinium ex eventu "prophecy from the event", I like calling it Jesus caulk, you just squeeze him into whatever crack you want filled, but it doesn't really work, so Jesus is more like tooth paste masquerading as caulk.

Once again, Christians are using snake-oil salesman tactics to sell Jesus.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
04-01-2015, 04:46 PM
(04-01-2015 06:55 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 03:33 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Referring back once again to Daniel 10:3, where we read of the devil resisting or detaining Jesus somehow for 21 days. Jesus then calls Michael for help and manages to break out of his detention.

Doc

Why should I be surprised at these crazy biblical interpretations? There are obvious problems that arise as soon as these characters start being interpreted as a symbolic representation for someone else.
I suppose the correct term is Vaticinium ex eventu "prophecy from the event", I like calling it Jesus caulk, you just squeeze him into whatever crack you want filled, but it doesn't really work, so Jesus is more like tooth paste masquerading as caulk.

"Jesus caulk"! Never heard that before. Love it!

Doc
04-01-2015, 05:57 PM
(04-01-2015 04:46 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 06:55 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Why should I be surprised at these crazy biblical interpretations? There are obvious problems that arise as soon as these characters start being interpreted as a symbolic representation for someone else.

"Jesus caulk"! Never heard that before. Love it!

Doc

Mary Magdelene did too if I recall. Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Have there actually been any theists in this thread that tried to argue with Doc? Consider

Atir aissom atir imon
04-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Awesome quiz Smile

My answer to each question and any further questions is "Goddidit". If you ask me to elaborate, I'll start describing how much you're gonna roast in hell.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user