Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
18-06-2015, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2015 11:00 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Doc's parabolic Sunday School (throwing curveballs since 2013)
(03-02-2015 08:19 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Incidentally, Bible scholars think that that's how Hosea got his name, from his penchant for approaching women and saying, "I wanna hose ya".

I heard that is in dispute.
There are some scholars who think it is a reminder of being brought to the king's private chambers and sees what's there and goes "whoes, yeah ! Thumbsup "

Smartass

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-06-2015, 05:17 AM
(18-06-2015 10:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 08:19 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Incidentally, Bible scholars think that that's how Hosea got his name, from his penchant for approaching women and saying, "I wanna hose ya".

I heard that is in dispute.
There are some scholars who think it is a reminder of being brought to the king's private chambers and sees what's there and goes "whoes, yeah ! Thumbsup "

Smartass

There is growing support for the Hosiery Theory. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-06-2015, 05:32 AM
Hosea daddy?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
19-06-2015, 05:52 AM
(19-06-2015 05:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hosea daddy?

groan Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-06-2015, 10:05 AM
RE: Doc's hyperbolic Sunday School (its the bestest Sunday School ever!)
Anjele: Doc, earlier we talked about Ambakouk delivering a bowl of soup to Daniel while he was in the lion's den...

Doc: Who?

Anjele: Ambakouk. Ambakouk. That's the Latin name for Habbakuk. Since we're talking about the Douay-Rheims version of Daniel, I thought I would use his Latin name.

Doc: Well, don't. It sounds weird. What about him anyway?

Anjele: What's the book of Ambak... I mean Habbakuk about anyway?

Doc: Glad you asked. It's about how the people of Judah sinned and how God was going to send the Babylonians to destroy the nation as punishment.

Anjele: In that case, why does God curse the Babylonians for destroying Judah in Habakkuk 2? They were simply following his orders, weren't they? Also in Jeremiah 27: 6-8 YHWH calls Nebuchadnezzar his servant and threatens any nation that resisted Nebuchadnezzar's invasion that he would "punish that nation with the sword, famine and plague, (declares the Lord), until I destroy it by his (Nebuchadnezzar's) hand." Isn't it inconsistent of God to use somebody and then punish them for doing that very thing?

Doc: Nope. Just staying true to character.
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
22-06-2015, 10:31 AM
(22-06-2015 10:05 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Anjele: Doc, earlier we talked about Ambakouk delivering a bowl of soup to Daniel while he was in the lion's den...

Anjele: Ambakouk. Ambakouk. That's the Latin name for Habbakuk. Since we're talking about the Douay-Rheims version of Daniel, I thought I would use his Latin name.

Doc: Glad you asked. It's about how the people of Judah sinned and how God was going to send the Babylonians to destroy the nation as punishment.

Anjele: In that case, why does God curse the Babylonians for destroying Judah in Habakkuk 2? They were simply following his orders, weren't they? Also in Jeremiah 27: 6-8 YHWH calls Nebuchadnezzar his servant and threatens any nation that resisted Nebuchadnezzar's invasion that he would "punish that nation with the sword, famine and plague, (declares the Lord), until I destroy it by his (Nebuchadnezzar's) hand." Isn't it inconsistent of God to use somebody and then punish them for doing that very thing?

Bucky mumbling to himself in class again : "Hmm. Reeks of the Documentary Hypothesis and beng cooked up in Babylon. Do these priests think we're that stupid ?"

But my question for the Very Best Sundee School teach is : "Didn't that god say after da flood he wasn't a gonna do dat agin' ?" Is he forgetful or just a meany ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-06-2015, 12:23 AM
(22-06-2015 10:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-06-2015 10:05 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Anjele: Doc, earlier we talked about Ambakouk delivering a bowl of soup to Daniel while he was in the lion's den...

Bucky mumbling to himself in class again : "Hmm. Reeks of the Documentary Hypothesis and beng cooked up in Babylon. Do these priests think we're that stupid ?"

But my question for the Very Best Sundee School teach is : "Didn't that god say after da flood he wasn't a gonna do dat agin' ?" Is he forgetful or just a meany ?

You'll have to excuse God on (let's say) forgetting to stand by his word. I mean, after all...

...he's only human. Wink
[+] 4 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
23-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Bucky: Didn't that god say after da flood he wasn't a gonna do dat agin'? Is he forgetful or just a meany?

Doc: Looks like somebody needs to work on their diction. But Bucky, what are you talking about? In Genesis 9: 13-15 God said to Noah after the flood "I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life." The rainbow is a reminder!

Bucky: A reminder. Like a string around his finger? So when God feels like destroying the earth with a flood, he first creates a rainbow, and then when he looks at it, he says, "Note to self. Do not destroy earth with flood"?

Doc: Exactly!

Bucky: Judging by the number of rainbows that appear somewhere over the earth each day, God must have his Speedos in a wad all the time.

Doc (wincing): In any case, there has never been a universal flood since Noah, so the rainbow is working! God will never destroy the earth with a flood again.
Instead, God will destroy the earth with fire. 2 Peter 3:7-10, says: “The heavens and the earth...are reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men...the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed." Isn't that nice? It won't be cold and damp like after the Flood but toasty warm.
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
23-06-2015, 10:09 AM
(23-06-2015 10:02 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Judging by the number of rainbows that appear somewhere over the earth each day, God must have his Speedos in a wad all the time.

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
23-06-2015, 01:13 PM
ClapClapClapClap

YAY!!! Doc is back!!! Class is in session again!!!!!!!!

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac