Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
11-04-2013, 09:06 AM
RE: DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
(10-04-2013 10:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 07:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  How or why would I know that? I can't answer questions about your personal being.

My only guess would be a No True Scotsman or you were under a guise that you had faith.

You'll probably say that no... you really had faith.

I don't know Dom. I don't know. I'm just a regular guy with a BS in Communication and zero formal theology training.

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't... and, I don't think anyone can ever answer that question for you wholly.

I suppose it was not a fair question to ask you but It really doesn't matter one way or another to me anymore. If I had been given faith and then taken away, or if I never had it but thought I did...afterall it's His will right?

I have to tell you that it boggles my mind how so many know so much about what a god wants or how a god goes about his business electing His favorites.

To me the whole concept of God reeks of primate delusion that has been transcribed by superstitious peoples in response to evolutionary traits of fight or flight that have morphed with the ego and the fear of losing the self. But what do I know?

I always distrust people who know so much about what God wants them to do to their fellows. - Susan B. Anthony

Oops, you're not Dom. I saw the dog... and well... my bad. Blame it on the tablet I was on.

And, I understand what you're saying. If I didn't have faith, I would feel the exact same way.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Biblical tradition says that Paul wrote it to Timothy. But, let's not turn this into a Paulinity debate.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-04-2013, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 05:25 PM by docskeptic.)
Doc: OK, class, time to review the answers on our recent pop quiz, Everybody clear on questions 3 and 4? Let's move on to question 5 which says: According to 2 Chronicles 13: 12-17, the Israelites were defeated by Judah and lost 500,000 men in 1 day. Calculate the number of soldiers lost in:
a. 1 hour b. 1 second.

The answers are NOT 500,000 casualties/hour and 500,000 casualties/second (looking disapprovingly at Cardinal Smurf). And what on earth is a "Godfinger"? The correct answers are:
a 20833 casualties/hour and b. 5.78 casualties/second.
Doesn't that prove the greatness of God?

Revenant77x: It says in 2 Chronicles that Judah had an army of 400,000, while Israel had an army of 800,000. If Israel lost 500,000 fighting men that day, that would turn out to be a 62.5% casualty rate (not counting the Judean casualty rate), surely the deadliest single day battle of all time. In contrast, any battle with a 30% casualty rate is now considered disastrous. Don't the numbers seem a trifle inflated?

Doc: No.
11-04-2013, 10:48 AM
(11-04-2013 09:48 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Doc: OK, class, time to review the answers on our recent pop quiz, Everybody clear on questions 3 and 4? Let's move on to question 5 which says: According to 2 Chronicles 13: 12-17, the Israelites were defeated by Judah and lost 500,000 men in 1 day. Calculate the number of soldiers lost in:
a. 1 hour b. 1 second.

The answers are NOT 500,000 casulaties/hour and 500,000 casualties/second (looking disapprovingly at Cardinal Smurf). And what on earth is a "Godfinger"? The correct answers are:
a 20833 casualties/hour and b. 5.78 casualties/second.
Doesn't that prove the greatness of God?

Revenant77x: It says in 2 Chronicles that Judah had an army of 400,000, while Israel had an army of 800,000. If Israel lost 500,000 fighting men that day, that would turn out to be a 62.5% casualty rate (not counting the Judean casualty rate), surely the deadliest single day battle of all time. In contrast, any battle with a 30% casualty rate is now considered disastrous. Don't the numbers seem a trifle inflated?

Doc: No.

Hmm Can I amend my answer to say that there were only roughly a million people in all of Palestine at the time yet 1.2 million men were fighting in this battle. Maths is fun. With this in mind and considering the Jewish precepts of mixing with Gentiles how did they manage to get that many mercenaries both into the region and to this battle without bankrupting all parties?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
11-04-2013, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 02:23 PM by docskeptic.)
Doc: Revenant, large, improbable numbers are nothing new in the Bible. Turn your Bibles to Numbers 31. Here we read how God, in his infinite wisdom, decided to wipe out the nation of Midian. The people, however, were naughty and only killed the men. Moses was very angry with the people for disobeying God and told them to kill all the boys and every woman who was not a virgin, but to save the virgins for themselves.

Mark Fulton (winking at Revenant77x): What's a virgin?

Doc, flustered, tugs at his collar: Well, uh..., you see, that is... Ask your parents! Anyway, after the war, the Israelites found 32,000 virgins!

Mark Fulton (blanching): But that means they must have killed...(counting on his fingers), at least 16,000 women, conservatively assuming that there were two virgins for every non-virgin! (Mark is a little too precocious)

Doc: Yes! Doesn't that prove God is love? He didn't want the poor women to starve to death now that their menfolk were dead and he did not want the little boys to be captured for human sacrifice by the Moabites or to grow up and take revenge for their fathers' deaths.

Mark Fulton: But how did they know which women were virgins?

Doc: Oh. Ah. Hmmm. Yes. Well, errr... My, look how the time has flown. Let's talk about that next time, shall we, boys and girls? We are also going to learn about how much God loved Job.
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
11-04-2013, 04:15 PM
(11-04-2013 09:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Biblical tradition says that Paul wrote it to Timothy. But, let's not turn this into a Paulinity debate.

Paul didn't write it. "Biblical tradition" means nothing.

You refuse to debate Paul. Yet Paul is the mastermind behind your faith.

If you believed what you do for solid historical, even ethical reasons, you would jump to Paul's defense.

You refuse to do that because it's too hard.

Yet you continue to preach Paulinity to children, and that, in my opinion, is immoral.

Shame on you!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
11-04-2013, 06:03 PM
The christers get pissy when their book gets called out, don't they.

I am particularly amused by the inerrancy discussions. The bible is inerrant when I say so, but not when I don't.

One might ask are they god.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
11-04-2013, 10:38 PM
DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
Lol, Mark doesn't know what a virgin is. :laughat:
11-04-2013, 10:39 PM
DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
Also, killing all 500,000 people in less than 1 second makes a mightier god...if you ask me.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
11-04-2013, 10:50 PM
(11-04-2013 10:39 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Also, killing all 500,000 people in less than 1 second makes a mightier god...if you ask me.

Yeah but it's not much of a sacrifice if Gawd does it for you ya know. He helps those that just went ahead and did it without him.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post