Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
30-11-2015, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 08:04 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Doc's Socratic Sunday School (more fun than drinking hemlock!)
(30-11-2015 07:24 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 11:32 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Well, maybe the some Rabbis have poor aim.
Another question is why flint? They knew about metal knives.

Also, Josh handled a great many penises in his time. A couple hundred dead Philistines and the peckers of every male of Isreal. He got around. And he was not gay.

I think you mean David. This was in my very first pop quiz ever:

6. In your own opinion, which was the better of the two:
a. David's gift of two hundred foreskins (which he got by murdering 200 random Philistines) to his lovely bride-to-be (I Samuel 18:27)
b. Samson's gift of thirty sets of clothes (which he got by murdering thirty random Philistines) to his wedding guests.
Be creative. Extra credit for using all our vocabulary words from last week (horrific, humorous, romantic, atrocity, tender, sweet, thoughtful).

b. I would like socks. After all this is the Sockratic Sunday School.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Doc's Socratic Sunday School (more fun than drinking hemlock!)
Doc, how do I make sure David stays off my Christmas list? That's a horrible gift.
01-12-2015, 03:20 AM
(30-11-2015 07:24 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 11:32 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Well, maybe the some Rabbis have poor aim.
Another question is why flint? They knew about metal knives.

Also, Josh handled a great many penises in his time. A couple hundred dead Philistines and the peckers of every male of Isreal. He got around. And he was not gay.

I think you mean David. This was in my very first pop quiz ever:

a. David's gift of two hundred foreskins (which he got by murdering 200 random Philistines) to his lovely bride-to-be (I Samuel 18:27)
b. Samson's gift of thirty sets of clothes (which he got by murdering thirty random Philistines) to his wedding guests.
Be creative. Extra credit for using all our vocabulary words from last week (horrific, humorous, romantic, atrocity, tender, sweet, thoughtful).

Oops. Dave. I have no idea where that came from.

Chas, I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
01-12-2015, 03:51 AM
(30-11-2015 07:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 07:24 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  I think you mean David. This was in my very first pop quiz ever:

b. I would like socks. After all this is the Sockratic Sunday School.

Beware the pong of naked feet, you reek-a! -- Sockrates

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
01-12-2015, 11:56 AM
(30-11-2015 08:22 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Doc, how do I make sure David stays off my Christmas list? That's a horrible gift.

Why horrible? I think David's gift of 200 foreskins to Michal, his lovely bride-to-be was very touching and thoughtful. It set off a transient fashion trend in ancient Israel for the "chemise du penis" designed by David himself. For the less well-to-do, the "thong du schlong" had a brief vogue.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
01-12-2015, 12:45 PM
(01-12-2015 11:56 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 08:22 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Doc, how do I make sure David stays off my Christmas list? That's a horrible gift.

Why horrible? I think David's gift of 200 foreskins to Michal, his lovely bride-to-be was very touching and thoughtful. It set off a transient fashion trend in ancient Israel for the "chemise du penis" designed by David himself. For the less well-to-do, the "thong du schlong" had a brief vogue.

Doc
It's just that I got 75 foreskins last year.
01-12-2015, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 01:04 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(01-12-2015 12:45 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  It's just that I got 75 foreskins last year.

Maybe you should ask for a lamp shade.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

Gasp

Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
06-01-2016, 12:05 PM
RE: Doc's erratic Subday School (consistently preaching the Word since 2013)
So, I came across something new a couple of days ago. YHWH and human sacrifice. Everybody knows the story of Abraham being told by God to sacrifice his son, Isaac to "prove" his love for God. Most people are also aware of the sacrifice by Jephthah of his only daughter to YHWH for granting him victory in battle. But, there is a third story in the Bible that reinforces the blood-thirstiness of YHWH.

In 2 Samuel 21, we read of a three year famine that struck Israel. David inquired of the Lord and was told that the famine was the result of the previous king, Saul's attempt to kill the Gibeonites (a people not of Israelite stock and an incident not recorded in the Bible). Apparently, the nation of Israel had promised to spare the Gibeonites but for some reason Saul went back on his word. For this sin, the nation of Israel was punished with a three year famine well after Saul's death. Makes sense, right?

Anyhoo, David called the Gibeonites and asked them what they wanted to do. They replied that since it was Saul's fault, the obvious answer was that Saul's family must pay the price. So, 7 of Saul's male descendants (by sheer coincidence, the next of kin to Saul and the next in line to inherit the throne) were "killed and their bodies exposed before the Lord" (verse 6). "And after that God heeded the prayer for the land" (verse 14).

So, with one stroke, David eliminated the threats to the throne and solved the famine problem. With human sacrifice. Neat, no?

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
06-01-2016, 12:45 PM
RE: Doc's erratic Sunday School (consistently preaching the Word since 2013)
(06-01-2016 12:05 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  ...
Neat, no?

Good governance (at least in the way that I teach it) can be described as the balancing of three factors:
Benefits Realisation
Risk Optimisation
Resource Optimisation.

I'd say that David ticked all three boxes.

Good job.

Thumbsup

06-01-2016, 12:54 PM
RE: Doc's erratic Sunday School (consistently preaching the Word since 2013)
(06-01-2016 12:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 12:05 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  ...
Neat, no?

Good governance (at least in the way that I teach it) can be described as the balancing of three factors:
Benefits Realisation
Risk Optimisation
Resource Optimisation.

I'd say that David ticked all three boxes.

Good job.

Thumbsup

You teach, too? I thought all you did was... well, you know... have fun.

Doc