Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
02-04-2013, 05:42 PM
DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
(02-04-2013 05:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 04:57 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  What other fictional books will we be discussing ?

I've read the Hobbit and Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle. (He is the only Lord I admire)
In chapter 7 of the Hobbit, what dangers do they face ?

Have you read Pullman's His Dark Materials? That's a rich source for discussion.

And then there's always the collected works of Douglas Adams.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
02-04-2013, 05:52 PM
RE: DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
(02-04-2013 05:42 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 05:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  Have you read Pullman's His Dark Materials? That's a rich source for discussion.

And then there's always the collected works of Douglas Adams.

I'm still waiting for PJ or Egor to pull out the Babelfish as proof of god.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
02-04-2013, 06:00 PM
(02-04-2013 05:52 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 05:42 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  And then there's always the collected works of Douglas Adams.

I'm still waiting for PJ or Egor to pull out the Babelfish as proof of god.

To which I shall counter that it's more like proof of Stephen Fry.
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
02-04-2013, 06:03 PM
(02-04-2013 06:00 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 05:52 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I'm still waiting for PJ or Egor to pull out the Babelfish as proof of god.

To which I shall counter that it's more like proof of Stephen Fry.

Ah there is one of the few people that are worth following on twitter. Most celebs and whatnot are just a waste but Fry has a very interesting feed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-04-2013, 06:22 PM
(02-04-2013 06:03 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 06:00 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  To which I shall counter that it's more like proof of Stephen Fry.

Ah there is one of the few people that are worth following on twitter. Most celebs and whatnot are just a waste but Fry has a very interesting feed.

Wow, why did I never think to follow him? On it!
02-04-2013, 06:28 PM
(02-04-2013 06:22 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 06:03 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Ah there is one of the few people that are worth following on twitter. Most celebs and whatnot are just a waste but Fry has a very interesting feed.

Wow, why did I never think to follow him? On it!

And on that day dear children the first seeds of Fryism were born. Soon to raze the world in fire and put to the sword all the non-followers of the feed. Now let us all recite shakespeare in the nude as our lord did intend.

[+] 8 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
(02-04-2013 06:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-04-2013 06:22 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Wow, why did I never think to follow him? On it!

And on that day dear children the first seeds of Fryism were born. Soon to raze the world in fire and put to the sword all the non-followers of the feed. Now let us all recite shakespeare in the nude as our lord did intend.

"Let me be that I am and seek not to alter me." - Much Ado About Nothing

Oh crap! I'm at work! What am I doing??
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
(02-04-2013 02:30 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  1. According to Gen. 5:17, from where did Cain get his wife?
a. He married his sister
b. A second creative act of God
c. A mail-order bride catalog
d. ChristianMingle.com

That's sort of a trick question. While Cain undoubtedly fucked his sister, I doubt they were married. Who would officiate? Also, I'm pretty sure that Adam and Eve weren't married either, which makes it annoying to hear Christians use their example as a defense of straight marriage. Even if they were married (somehow), what would be the point in a world where there's no one to cheat on each other with? It's like if you were one of the last two people on Earth... would the two of you bother with marriage?

I like the cover of the book. It's cute and creative.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
03-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Doc: Kids, your attention, please. I must say I was very disappointed with your performances on yesterday's test. I don't believe there was a single student with a perfect score. For example, TheLogicalAthiest says the answer to question 3 about the exceeding high mountain is "Mountain Dew", whereas the correct answer is "I don't know". "Mountain Dew", indeed! I don't believe there is even such a mountain.

Anyway, today, we are going to learn about the gospel of Matthew and prophecy. You see, boys and girls, Matthew quotes the Old Testament many times to prove that by fulfilling prophecy Jesus was indeed the Messiah.

For example, Matthew quotes Zechariah during Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Zechariah 9:9 says, "Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey." How many animals do you think were involved, boys and girls?

All: One!

Doc: That's right! You see, Zechariah was using an old Hebrew poetic trick of parallel phrasing to express the same idea or object. However to prove that Jesus was indeed the Christ, Matthew says that he literally fulfilled this prophecy. Matthew 21: 4-7 says: "The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. They brought the donkey and the colt, placed their cloaks on them, and Jesus sat on them".

Isn't that amazing, boys and girls? Jesus rode on two animals simultaneously! Even more amazing, one was smaller than the other! How do you think he achieved this feat of riding, children, and should we not think of this as an unrecognized miracle? And what should we call this miracle? On the grounds that anything Jesus sat on may be considered holy, I was going to humbly suggest "The Miracle of the Holy Ass", but I am open to suggestions.

Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
03-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Good morning campers! I'm your uncle Ernie and I welcome you to Tommy's holiday camp! The camp with a difference. Never mind the weather. When you come to Tommy's the holiday's forever
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post