Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
Doc, as one of you loyal students I have to ask a question. The "Arabic Infancy Gospel" where does that come from. Will it later instruct me to fly planes into buildings or something. I am very much troubled by the "Arabic" part.

I need to know the bible not some non biblical stuff. I worry that if the proper pope did not include something in the bible than it may not be the inerrant word. The pope having that so magical connection to the truth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Devilsadvoc8: But couldn't swaddling clothes contain pee or was the baby jesus toilet trained right after birth? I had to change my newborns clothing several times a day and that was with modern diapers with absorbent materials, not the basic linens of 2000 years ago. Sorry doc, but I may have to go with Jesus pee being the stuff of miracles.

Doc (scandalized): Of course, the infant Jesus was potty-trained from birth. I don't believe he caused his parents an instant of worry. However, my main reason for favoring sweat as the stuff of miracles rather than "pee" also has to do with ancient authority in addition to the explicit statement in the Arabic Infancy Gospel.

For example, we have no less an authority than Pliny the Elder stating the following in his Natural History, Book 28:

1. Important remedies have been made by the profit-seeking Greeks even with human off-scouring from the gymnasia; for the scrapings from the bodies soften, warm, disperse, and make flesh, sweat and oil forming an ointment. This is used as a pessary for inflammation and contraction of the uterus (sounds of gagging from the back of the classroom).

2. So used it is also an emmenagogue; it soothes inflammations of the anus and condylomata, likewise pains of the sinews, dislocations, and knotty joints (sounds of heaving from the back of the class room).

So , you see, even Pliny the Elder believed in the efficacy of sweat while he makes nary a mention of human urine although he says that jaguar or lynx urine is good for cough. Now, he does say that "the urine of a person who has lived on a cabbage diet should be kept, because when warmed it is a cure for pains in the sinews." Admiitedly, he also says that leaves of maidenhair "steeped in the urine of a boy [or girl] not yet adolescent, if they be pounded with saltpetre and applied to the abdomen of women, prevent the formation of wrinkles." (sounds of retching from the back of the class room.) However, these are minor cures and do not approach the potential of sweat.

Devilsadvoc8: Doesn't this simply mean that the writers of the Bible were just as ignorant as Pliny the Elder?

Doc: I prefer to think of it as Pliny the Elder being just as advanced as the writers of the Bible.
07-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Doc my man. Have you not drifted from the holy writ. What book in the bible includes Pliny the Elder.

Please only the holy writ. I do not want the advice of others.

You may, as the instructor, refer to contemporary authors who reinforce the holy writ. I would ask that you be careful in doing so.
07-05-2013, 12:04 PM
(07-05-2013 11:53 AM)JAH Wrote:  Doc my man. Have you not drifted from the holy writ. What book in the bible includes Pliny the Elder.

Please only the holy writ. I do not want the advice of others.

You may, as the instructor, refer to contemporary authors who reinforce the holy writ. I would ask that you be careful in doing so.

JAH,

The problem remains, what is Holy Writ? I asked this question earlier. OT? NT? Apocrypha? Pseudoepigraphia? Remember, these were all Holy Writ at some time or the other to someone or the other. The church fathers voted on a canon, often using secular authorities such as Aristotle to back up their claims. I find all ancient writings illuminating when correlated with the Bible, hence my use of extra-Biblical sources. Besides, I find them just as amusing. I do, however, plan to eventually get back on track. Cheers.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
07-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Doc, my apologies for questioning your direction of this class. I will return to the stoners row in the back and listen intently. Or at least as intently as I can.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
07-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Who ordered the double cheese and sausage? Was that you JAH?
07-05-2013, 01:26 PM
devilsadvoc8, no I ordered the Jumbo Jack with Cheese you did not steal it did you. I will take the double cheese with sausage if that is what is available.

doc, we are hungry here in the back row. We need your knowledge. Or maybe your stash, I understand there is some good **** in India.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
07-05-2013, 01:32 PM
DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
(07-05-2013 01:16 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Who ordered the double cheese and sausage? Was that you JAH?

Hey wait, where's my jambalaya from Popeye's??
07-05-2013, 02:53 PM
I had the Mignonette de poulet petit Duc and the Timbale de ris de veau Toulousaine.
07-05-2013, 03:01 PM
CheeseBurger med rare lettuce tomato mayo grilled onions. Oh and can we get a BBQ'd baby for the table?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense