Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
14-05-2013, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2013 10:57 AM by docskeptic.)
RE: DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
(12-05-2013 11:34 PM)JAH Wrote:  In the OT god was all over the place smiting various opponents to the Israelites, talking directly to people and so on. In the NT he sent a physical manifestation of himself (I know it is awkward but to the extent I know the manifestation of god it is always male besides how else could god have impregnated mary) and that manifestation preformed miracles and such. Then he disappeared. What happened. Did god disappear from human life or what.

Doc: Oh, no, no, no! God did not disappear! After his death, Jesus was taken up to heaven where he has been busy preparing for his return. Look what Jesus says in John 14:2, "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you."

A certain Mr. Elvis Presley sang this song:

"In my father's house are many mansions
If it were not true he would have told me so
He has gone away to live in that bright city
He's preparing me a mansion there I know."

Mr. Presley, no doubt, had a wretched life here on earth and was looking forward to his heavenly reward when he wrote this song.

See, God is preparing a place for all those who believe in his son. This is what John Wesley says in his commentary on this portion, "In my Father's house are many mansions - Enough to receive both the holy angels, and your predecessors in the faith, and all that now believe, and a great multitude, which no man can number."

However, with heavenly labor problems (God lost 1/3rd of his labor force to his chief rival, Lucifer) and materials supply disruptions (people are no longer tithing or sacrificing as they used to), this construction project is taking longer than expected, because Jesus promised his hearers in the 1st century CE in Matthew 24:30, 34 that "this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened" among which things is the return of "the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory."

So, be patient JAH. Jesus is coming back soon to take us all back to heaven to be with him forever.

JAH, putting on his sunglasses and holding out his hands, palms up: Doc, I have an even better story. You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
14-05-2013, 04:27 PM
RE: DOC'S CHOCOTASTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE EAT THE WHOLE THING)
Ok I'm over my giggle fest now and will try to focus.

Doc, I work in a construction related field, and 2000 plus years is a long time for a construction project, even with the workforce losses. I mean, he's god right?? Can he not twitch his nose or do the I Dream of Jeannie move or something and get-r-done on the McMansions in celestial heights subdivision? Just curious...

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
14-05-2013, 04:32 PM
DOC'S CHOCOTASTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE EAT THE WHOLE THING)
(14-05-2013 04:27 PM)cjs Wrote:  Ok I'm over my giggle fest now and will try to focus.

Doc, I work in a construction related field, and 2000 plus years is a long time for a construction project, even with the workforce losses. I mean, he's god right?? Can he not twitch his nose or do the I Dream of Jeannie move or something and get-r-done on the McMansions in celestial heights subdivision? Just curious...

I suspect a zoning rights issue.
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
14-05-2013, 05:03 PM
CS, you are probably right. So heaven has a city council and/or a homeowners association? That sounds duller than flying around playing harps for all eternity.

Previously y'all discussed the timing of Paul and the gospels' writings. I wonder--why, if Christians were so persecuted in Rome, did they build the church there, supposedly by St Peter who was allegedly a disciple, though gospels were not written until 90 AD or so? Would Rome not have had an issue with that if they were crucifying these people's leader and followers and feeding them to lions? But there were Christian apologists like Tertullian in the second century... Then Rome was all up on that with Constantine. This is outside the original medical focus, but I will throw it out there for the hell of it!

14-05-2013, 05:14 PM
(14-05-2013 05:03 PM)cjs Wrote:  CS, you are probably right. So heaven has a city council and/or a homeowners association? That sounds duller than flying around playing harps for all eternity.

Previously y'all discussed the timing of Paul and the gospels' writings. I wonder--why, if Christians were so persecuted in Rome, did they build the church there, supposedly by St Peter who was allegedly a disciple, though gospels were not written until 90 AD or so? Would Rome not have had an issue with that if they were crucifying these people's leader and followers and feeding them to lions? But there were Christian apologists like Tertullian in the second century... Then Rome was all up on that with Constantine. This is outside the original medical focus, but I will throw it out there for the hell of it!

Those stories of Christian persecution are greatly exaggerated and mostly invented. There were maybe a total of 10 years spread out over 3 centuries where a ruler would lean on that group. For the most part Rome didn't give 2 fucks (and remember how cheap fucks were in Roman times Smile )about what god you worshiped as long as you paid your taxes. The christians have a long history of claiming persecution when it doesn't exist. For reference watch Fox news for an hour and wait til they mention a "War on..." regarding christianity.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes I read an article last week somewhere about Christians doing the persecution whine here in the US. I even hear that tired old refrain here in the south where they pretty much run things, and it wears very thin with me. I'm guessing if I stood up in a restaurant or any public place and declared my atheism, I'd probably be on the business end of their persecution.

14-05-2013, 06:26 PM
(14-05-2013 05:35 PM)cjs Wrote:  Yes I read an article last week somewhere about Christians doing the persecution whine here in the US. I even hear that tired old refrain here in the south where they pretty much run things, and it wears very thin with me. I'm guessing if I stood up in a restaurant or any public place and declared my atheism, I'd probably be on the business end of their persecution.

They love using victim hood to repress others. It's a common tactic that's been used for thousands of years.

My favorite part is when the public see through it and laughs at them.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
14-05-2013, 06:38 PM
(14-05-2013 04:27 PM)cjs Wrote:  Ok I'm over my giggle fest now and will try to focus.

Doc: cjs, I suspect that heavenly construction is done along the same lines as construction in India which runs on IST (Indian Stretchable Time). Besides, look at the scale of the construction involved. Rev. 21:15, 16 says "The one who spoke with me had a gold measuring rod to measure the city (New Jerusalem), and its gates and its wall. The city is laid out as a square, and its length is as great as the width; and he measured the city with the rod, fifteen hundred miles; its length and width and height are equal."

I have often tried to picture this city in my mind. What would a city that's 1500 miles long, wide and high look like? Are we talking about multi-level dwelling units? Are we talking luxury apartments vs. McMansions given the sheer number of occupants involved (remember John Wesley says that the angels would be dwelling there too). What happens when a toilet gets plugged on the very top floor? What if you decided one day to take the stairs to your apartment rather than the elevator for "health reasons"? What if a Muslim martyr disappointed with the lack of virgins crashed himself into one of the lower floors (remember, he can fly now)?

In any case, the sheer size of the project is what is keeping Jesus from coming back any time soon. Remember, this is the same Jesus who "did not do many miracles there (Nazareth) because of their lack of faith." So I'm sure its the general apostasy of the age that's delaying his return. (Sighing) Ah, if only everyone would buck up and just believe, you and I would be walking "the streets of gold" today!

cjs: Doc, there's this bridge in Brooklyn I've been meaning to talk to you about.
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
14-05-2013, 06:48 PM
DOC'S CHOCOTASTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE EAT THE WHOLE THING)
(14-05-2013 06:38 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  What would a city that's 1500 miles long, wide and high look like?

Sounds like a Borg Cube to me.
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
14-05-2013, 06:53 PM
And if the low bidder gets the job, Katie bar the door!