Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
19-05-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: DOC'S BOMBASTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL
(19-05-2013 11:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 11:09 AM)cjs Wrote:  Doc, not sure why someone would call you fungi ....

It's from an ooooold joke:

A mushroom walks into a bar. The barman immediately throws him out saying "We don't serve your kind here!" He says "Why not ? I'm a fungi"...

Oh ok, one old joke I apparently missed even though I'm old!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2013, 01:50 PM
RE: DOC'S BOMBASTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL
(19-05-2013 12:18 PM)cjs Wrote:  Oh ok, one old joke I apparently missed even though I'm old!

Whippersnapper Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-05-2013, 06:46 PM
DOC'S BOMBASTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL
(19-05-2013 09:10 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(18-05-2013 11:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  Holy shit... reading this thing is a trip... :bowing: DocSkep, you're a fun guy to have around...

... pretty impressed with my intelligence in your post there, if I do say so myself :P

Odd. I've been called a fungi elsewhere too.

Morondog and cjs, thanks for the kind words. I find humor useful in coping with my lonely atheist lifestyle. Do you think humor and the ability to not take oneself too seriously predisposed us to become atheists? Did it vaccinate us against the religion meme?

I had a revelation once. An epiphany, if you will. This was near the end of my believing stage. I love science and had read all about evolution. One Sunday, I was watching my pastor preach, when it suddenly occurred to me that he was nothing but a dressed up great ape spouting gibberish. The image it conjured up was so funny that I am sure it began my inevitable descent into apostasy. Now, when I think anyone (the pope, televangelists, believing friends, etc.) is full of him/herself, the image comes unbidden to my mind and I am able to dismiss them without too much difficulty.

Doc

My observations also support the suggestion that many (not all) theists I've met have a certain humorlessness about them that is unshakeable. They take everything more seriously than necessary and seem oblivious to conventions such as sarcasm and absurdism. They are particularly perplexed by humor such as that of Monty Python. I bet they might even have difficulty discerning the real purpose if this very thread.

But these are just observations. I've done no research. Anyone else noticed the same?

I know when I was a believer I was frequently frowned upon for not taking things seriously enough.
19-05-2013, 07:41 PM
RE: DOC'S BALLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL
(19-05-2013 09:10 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Morondog and cjs, thanks for the kind words. I find humor useful in coping with my lonely atheist lifestyle. Do you think humor and the ability to not take oneself too seriously predisposed us to become atheists? Did it vaccinate us against the religion meme?

This is an interesting question. I also wonder if other predespositions come into play like whether or not a person is an introvert or extrovert.

I seldom take myself seriously, try to find humor in everything and consider myself an introvert. I read that to figure out which one you are ask yourself "do I need to be alone to recharge my internal batteries or do I need to be with people".

Religions are too humorless for me. Too much worshiping and not enough laughing.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
20-05-2013, 05:11 AM
RE: DOc'S ArRHytHMIc SUndAy ScH___
Doc (excitedly): Class, remember that woman we talked about the other day? The one who was bleeding vaginally? I have proof that the episode really occurred and that Jesus truly performed a miracle.

Momsurroundedbyboys, raising her hand: How?

Doc: Eusebius, in his Church History, says that he saw a statue in Caesarea Philippi representing Jesus and this woman. Does this not prove that a mighty miracle must have taken place?

Momsurroundedbyboys: How?

Doc (annoyed): Well, it’s reasonable to assume so, isn’t it? Although, now that I think of it, Eusebius wrote his book 300 years after Jesus and although honest, may have been gullible. He said he saw a statue. The statue depicted a woman kneeling before a well-dressed man. Since the miracle of the healing of the woman happened in Capernaum, a city relatively close by, it may have been easy to claim that she was originally from Caesarea Philippi and had returned there after her cure. Maybe the locals concocted the story as an ancient tourist trap. And once reported by Eusebius, it may have been repeated uncritically by other writers, such as Sozomen and Philostorgius who wrote even later.

Doc (irritated): What do you mean, how?

Momsurroundedbyboys: Medicine man speaks with forked tongue.
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
20-05-2013, 07:41 AM
(20-05-2013 05:11 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Doc (excitedly): Class, remember that woman we talked about the other day? The one who was bleeding vaginally? I have proof that the episode really occurred and that Jesus truly performed a miracle.

Momsurroundedbyboys, raising her hand: How?

Doc: Eusebius, in his Church History, says that he saw a statue in Caesarea Philippi representing Jesus and this woman. Does this not prove that a mighty miracle must have taken place?

Doc (annoyed): Well, it’s reasonable to assume so, isn’t it? Although, now that I think of it, Eusebius wrote his book 300 years after Jesus and although honest, may have been gullible. He said he saw a statue. The statue depicted a woman kneeling before a well-dressed man. Since the miracle of the healing of the woman happened in Capernaum, a city relatively close by, it may have been easy to claim that she was originally from Caesarea Philippi and had returned there after her cure. Maybe the locals concocted the story as an ancient tourist trap. And once reported by Eusebius, it may have been repeated uncritically by other writers, such as Sozomen and Philostorgius who wrote even later.

Doc (irritated): What do you mean, how?

Momsurroundedbyboys: Medicine man speaks with forked tongue.

Dear Doc,
I have this pain in my ... oh ... never mind.
You give ole Euby far too much credit. He admitted falsehood was good if it produced the outcome he wanted, ie more cult members.
I haven't seen this thread. When I did I was all "a-flutter". Tongue
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rly-church

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
20-05-2013, 09:18 AM
(20-05-2013 07:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Dear Doc,
I have this pain in my ... oh ... never mind.
You give ole Euby far too much credit. He admitted falsehood was good if it produced the outcome he wanted, ie more cult members.
I haven't seen this thread. When I did I was all "a-flutter". Tongue
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rly-church

Bucky Ball,
Take two aspirin, fill out these insurance forms and call my office in the morning.

Why are we surprised that the church fathers were capable of deception, when the God they worshipped engaged in similar practices? See what YHWH says in Ezekiel 20:24, 25, "Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols. Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live;"

Monkey see, monkey do.

Doc
[+] 5 users Like docskeptic's post
20-05-2013, 05:40 PM
doc, I still need to know if revelations was written by a stoner. I would have much more respect for the bible if it was, or maybe not.
20-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Yeah man, wasn't dude who wrote the revelation trip, I mean book, exiled on an island alone? I'm sure he must have found something to smoke!

Godless in the Magnolia State
20-05-2013, 09:43 PM
(20-05-2013 05:48 PM)cjs Wrote:  Yeah man, wasn't dude who wrote the revelation trip, I mean book, exiled on an island alone? I'm sure he must have found something to smoke!

It was the 'shrooms. Jebus was a shroom.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.