Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
27-05-2013, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2013 11:39 AM by Full Circle.)
RE: DOC'S POLYTHEISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHO LET THE GODS OUT? WHO? WHO? WHO? WHO?)
(27-05-2013 08:01 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Peanut: Doc, in an earlier class, you said that Jesus was able to walk on water by means of a supernatural phase transition. In other words, he was able to transform liquid into solid instantaneously. Isn't that extremely unlikely? Could there be another solution to this miracle?

Doc: Yes! Jesus's body was capable of some miraculous feats, among which was the ability to walk on water. Perhaps he achieved this by locally solidifying the water or by local anti-gravity or by making his body lighter-than-air. The gospels also record other miraculous feats. One amazing property that Jesus’s body had was the ability to vanish at will (Luke 24:31). In this story, Jesus appears to two of his followers as they are walking to Emmaus. They don’t recognize him immediately and he falls into conversation with them. After they describe the recent events that have shaken Jerusalem, Jesus discourses with them about himself. Just as they are about to partake of a meal together, they suddenly recognize him, at which point he promptly vanishes from their sight.

Some conservative scholars like John Gill suggest that this was not a true vanishing or disappearance, but that “agility being a property of his risen body, he very suddenly, and swiftly, and in a moment, withdrew himself from them.” Since Jesus had done something similar to this on two separate occasions prior to his death (miraculously passing through a crowd that was ready to stone him in Luke 4:30 and John 8:59), it has been suggested that his pre-resurrection body had also been endowed with remarkable speed and agility, which enabled him to elude his enemies!

Peanut: Did he say also "Beep, beep", flap his tongue and disappear in a cloud of dust?

Lieutenant Jesus Gonzalez, from the Starship NCC 1701 Enterprise was beamed up and back on the teleporter, what is with you guys, don'tcha know nothing? Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2013, 10:35 AM
RE: DOC'S POLYTHEISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHO LET THE GODS OUT? WHO? WHO? WHO? WHO?)
cjs, hey stoners row is getting a little crowded. I am not giving my seat up for anyone, not unless they have a good stash.

doc, I have to ask again, why are all the books of the disciples not identical in their description of events. I mean they all saw the same stuff. I know police tell you that eyewitnesses do not all describe events the same but this is different.

This is the words of a god we must follow. It must always be the same, not different depending on who is telling it.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
27-05-2013, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2013 11:36 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Peanut will sit next to me, please. We may whisper in class.

At the time the "stuff" was written, the Romans were just coming to a consensus of what was "history" and what the word "accurate" even meant, (see Tacitus' stuff). Of course they don't "agree". They "remembered" what served their purpose. More contributing members.
The Hebrews didn't even have a word for "history" in the sense we think of it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-05-2013, 12:10 PM
(27-05-2013 11:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Peanut will sit next to me, please. We may whisper in class.

At the time the "stuff" was written, the Romans were just coming to a consensus of what was "history" and what the word "accurate" even meant, (see Tacitus' stuff). Of course they don't "agree". They "remembered" what served their purpose. More contributing members.
The Hebrews didn't even have a word for "history" in the sense we think of it.

The "True History" of History. What a Meta topic.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
27-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I must say I thoroughly enjoy the post title changes in this thread.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-05-2013, 12:58 PM
(27-05-2013 11:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Peanut will sit next to me, please. We may whisper in class.

I get distracted easily and I see awesome things that randomly catch my attention. I think it's safe to say I would INDEED be the one whispering while the teach is lessoning Smartass

I will try my hardest to pay attention in class, Doc. I gotta do the homework, though. I've missed quite a few lessons. (All of the lessons, to be precise.) Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
27-05-2013, 07:25 PM
(25-05-2013 06:23 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 05:11 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Doc: मैं अंग्रेज़ी नहीं बोलता.

मैं हिंदी में बात नहीं करते.

(25-05-2013 06:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  तुम लोग मजाक कर रहे हैं !

Doc: Wah! Kya bath hai! Cardinal Smurf and Full Circle, I must congratulate you on your command of Hindi. You must come over some time for a masala dosa and chai. We can talk about India. There are so many things that people don't know about India. For example, did you know that wire was invented in India?

Full Circle: No, really?

Doc: Yes! See, two Indians saw a coin at the same time. The rest, as they say, is history.
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
27-05-2013, 09:48 PM
(27-05-2013 07:25 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 06:23 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  मैं हिंदी में बात नहीं करते.

(25-05-2013 06:26 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  तुम लोग मजाक कर रहे हैं !

Doc: Wah! Kya bath hai! Cardinal Smurf and Full Circle, I must congratulate you on your command of Hindi. You must come over some time for a masala dosa and chai. We can talk about India. There are so many things that people don't know about India. For example, did you know that wire was invented in India?

Doc: Yes! See, two Indians saw a coin at the same time. The rest, as they say, is history.

I wrote that in Hindi? I thought it was Mayan!

We don't have Indian restaurants anywhere nearby so you'll have to make it here for us Drooling http://www.indianfoodforever.com/snacks/...-dosa.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-05-2013, 10:29 PM
(27-05-2013 09:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 07:25 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Doc: Wah! Kya bath hai! Cardinal Smurf and Full Circle, I must congratulate you on your command of Hindi. You must come over some time for a masala dosa and chai. We can talk about India. There are so many things that people don't know about India. For example, did you know that wire was invented in India?

I wrote that in Hindi? I thought it was Mayan!

We don't have Indian restaurants anywhere nearby so you'll have to make it here for us Drooling http://www.indianfoodforever.com/snacks/...-dosa.html

Fresh baked Naan bread will make you doubt atheism for a minute. We got this little hole in the wall Indian joint down the street and wow is the food killer. So spicey the utensils start to melt a little but damn is it good. 4 generations working in that joint all the way from Grandmama who got to be pushing 90 all the way down to the 6 year olds rolling forks and knives in napkins.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
28-05-2013, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 07:37 AM by docskeptic.)
RE: DOC'S PSYCHIATRIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHO LET THE DOC OUT? WHO? WHO? WHO? WHO?)
(27-05-2013 10:35 AM)JAH Wrote:  doc, I have to ask again, why are all the books of the disciples not identical in their description of events. I mean they all saw the same stuff. I know police tell you that eyewitnesses do not all describe events the same but this is different.

This is the words of a god we must follow. It must always be the same, not different depending on who is telling it.

Doc: Well, JAH, we know that the disciples saw the same thing from different perspectives, so they may differ in the telling of stories of the same event. This would satisfactorily account for the differences in the gospels. An ancient Israelite version of Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon, if you like. In fact, conservative scholars argue that the lack of agreement between the Gospels proves that they must be inspired, since there was obviously no collusion between the writers.

JAH: Tchah! A far more likely explanation is that of individual authors writing isolated in space and time from the others, with perhaps some original source material (the so-called Q document) before them and oral traditions in their memories with which they produced a Gospel to the best of their abilities. Take the gospel of Luke, for instance. Scholars agree that the same author wrote Luke and the Acts of the Apostles given the similarity in content and writing styles and since both books were addressed to the same person, Theophilus.

Doc: Yeah. So?

JAH: So, have you never heard of the "we sections" in Acts?

Doc: "We sections"?

JAH: Yes. The book of Acts is mostly written in the third person (for example, “they said this” or “Paul did that”). In three separate sections, however, the narrative suddenly switches to the first person (for example, “we sailed here” or “we went there”). These are the so-called “we sections” and are felt to represent times when Luke joins Paul on his journeys. The sections are Acts 16:10–17, Acts 20:9–12 and Acts 27:1–28:16. The shifts are abrupt and are jarring in the perusal. They do not make for smooth reading and have the feeling of having been inserted into the narrative from another source.

Doc: But doesn't that simply mean that Luke personally witnessed the events described in the “we sections” and that his account is trustworthy?

JAH: On the contrary, this proves that the non-”we sections” (which comprise most of the two books) are based on hearsay and cannot be trusted. Why do you still cling to your faith?

Doc, curling into a ball and hugging himself: Mustn't ask us, not it's business. Gollum, gollum.