Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
31-12-2013, 02:03 PM
RE: DOC'S OBSTETRIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (DELIVERING GOD'S WORD SINCE 2013)
Doc, so glad to have you back and hear someone's opinions on theological matters besides those of reality tv stars with scraggly long beards who wave the bible around and think girls ought to marry at age 16!!

Godless in the Magnolia State
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
02-01-2014, 05:21 PM
RE: DOC'S CATHARTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (ELIMINATING IGNORANCE SINCE 2013)

.jpg  Untitled-1 copy.jpg (Size: 215.3 KB / Downloads: 44)

Nothing to do with religion whatsoever. Just needed a place to display my first completed papercraft project: The Fokker DR-1 flown by the Red Baron.
Doc.
[+] 7 users Like docskeptic's post
02-01-2014, 05:34 PM
RE: DOC'S CATHARTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (ELIMINATING IGNORANCE SINCE 2013)
(02-01-2014 05:21 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Nothing to do with religion whatsoever. Just needed a place to display my first completed papercraft project: The Fokker DR-1 flown by the Red Baron.
Doc.

Very Cool

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
03-01-2014, 09:09 AM
RE: DOC'S COLONOSCOPIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (PROBING THE BIBLE SINCE 2013)
cjs: Doc, you have some knowledge of anatomy and physiology. Perhaps, you can explain 1 Kings 13:1-6? There, we read that King Jeroboam of Israel sacrificed to two golden calves. An unnamed prophet denounces him. Angry, the king points his hand at the man and says "Seize him!".

Doc: Yes, for this act of impiety, God immediately punishes the king by shriveling up his hand so that he is unable to draw it back. And well he deserved it too.

cjs: That's my point. What form of shrivelling causes the inability to withdraw a fully extended arm? In pointing his finger, the king used a combination of the flexor and extensor muscles of his upper extremity to move the hand. Although the muscles act in concert, they also act reciprocally. This is termed Sherrington's law of reciprocal innervation. A sudden paralysis of the flexor muscles could result in weakness of flexion at the shoulder, elbow, and the wrist, but no conceivable form of muscle "shriveling" would cause the king's arm to stay in flexion at the shoulder (i.e., lifted to shoulder level) and full extension at the elbow, as it is in the act of pointing. How do you explain this miracle?

Doc, regretting skipping all those classes in medical school: Sherrington's what now?
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
03-01-2014, 09:12 AM
(03-01-2014 09:09 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  cjs: Doc, you have some knowledge of anatomy and physiology. Perhaps, you can explain 1 Kings 13:1-6? There, we read that King Jeroboam of Israel sacrificed to two golden calves. An unnamed prophet denounces him. Angry, the king points his hand at the man and says "Seize him!".

Doc: Yes, for this act of impiety, God immediately punishes the king by shriveling up his hand so that he is unable to draw it back. And well he deserved it too.

cjs: That's my point. What form of shrivelling causes the inability to withdraw a fully extended arm? In pointing his finger, the king used a combination of the flexor and extensor muscles of his upper extremity to move the hand. Although the muscles act in concert, they also act reciprocally. This is termed Sherrington's law of reciprocal innervation. A sudden paralysis of the flexor muscles could result in weakness of flexion at the shoulder, elbow, and the wrist, but no conceivable form of muscle "shriveling" would cause the king's arm to stay in flexion at the shoulder (i.e., lifted to shoulder level) and full extension at the elbow, as it is in the act of pointing. How do you explain this miracle?

Doc, regretting skipping all those classes in medical school: Sherrington's what now?

Dude. Miracles are inexplicable. Obviously since you can't explain it, it's a real miracle! Thumbsup
03-01-2014, 09:34 AM
DOC'S COLONOSCOPIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (PROBING THE BIBLE SINCE 2013)
(02-01-2014 05:21 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Nothing to do with religion whatsoever. Just needed a place to display my first completed papercraft project: The Fokker DR-1 flown by the Red Baron.
Doc.

Wow! Very nice work, Doc. I tried papercraft for the first time a few months back. I made a small ferret as practice. It was also the first work I'd done with my hands on small parts in quite a few years. I used to build plastic models when I was a young man. Papercraft really showed me how bad my eyesight has become. I'll need to get myself one of those large illuminated magnifying glasses on a moveable arm before I try tackling my next project: Angkor Wat!

Will you be doing more too? Have you seen the plans at the Canon Papercraft site? That's where I was first introduced.

http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/1006/

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
03-01-2014, 10:41 AM
(03-01-2014 09:34 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  ...before I try tackling my next project: Angkor Wat!

Will you be doing more too? Have you seen the plans at the Canon Papercraft site? That's where I was first introduced.

http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/1006/

Cardinal,
Are you really going to build an Angkor Wat? I'm impressed. Please don't forget to post pics when you're done.

I mentioned this earlier, but I am building a L'Instant Durable Notre Dame cathedral. Although it's not complete, I will post some pics.

Yes, I am familiar with the Canon site. I am also a member of http://www.papermodelers.com/ a forum devoted to papercraft. Some of the projects posted there have to be seen to be believed.

Happy New Year!

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
03-01-2014, 11:06 AM
(03-01-2014 09:12 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Dude. Miracles are inexplicable. Obviously since you can't explain it, it's a real miracle! Thumbsup

Colourcraze, you've hit upon it. My point was that even the description of the miracle is suspect since no conceivable form of shrivelling could cause the king's arm and hand to stay frozen in the pointing position. However, when this passage is read, its easy to overlook this point and hence another miracle is born.

Doc
04-01-2014, 02:38 PM

As promised, here are some pics of my unfinished Notre Dame cathedral. Never let it be said that I only tear down the church. I can also build one up.

Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
04-01-2014, 06:13 PM
RE: DOC'S SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (IT'S EXPIALIDOCIOUS!)
(03-01-2014 09:09 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  cjs: Doc, you have some knowledge of anatomy and physiology. Perhaps, you can explain 1 Kings 13:1-6? There, we read that King Jeroboam of Israel sacrificed to two golden calves. An unnamed prophet denounces him. Angry, the king points his hand at the man and says "Seize him!".

Jeroboam was the King of the Northern Kingdom. That "two golden calf" thing was *FAR* more important than just a "single" event.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.