Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
30-01-2014, 08:43 AM
RE: DOC'S HEDONISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE LEARNING IS A PLEASURE)
(30-01-2014 07:28 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Hey where is this "woman make yourself a man" business coming from?

Gospel of Thomas. Pay attention in class, or I'll shoot spitballs at you too.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2014, 09:00 AM
(30-01-2014 08:40 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Doc: Pis! Pis! Are you deaf, young man? Urine trouble with me now! You used to be my golden boy, but now I shall shower you with scorn.

Chas: May I be excused? I need to go now.

I see what you did there.

Atir aissom atir imon
30-01-2014, 10:48 PM
EA: Sleepy Zzzz.....

Im_Ryan: [Image: gotcha.gif]

EA: Blink ..... Dodgy ..... [Image: 274fe60f5104c0868396ed7be03a8315.gif]

[Image: spacecraft-1.gif]

EA: Evil_monster

Doc: Ryan? Ryan?

Doc: Has anyone seen Im_Ryan?

EA: Angel

[+] 4 users Like Escape Artist's post
30-01-2014, 10:55 PM
(30-01-2014 10:48 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  EA: Sleepy Zzzz.....

Im_Ryan: [Image: gotcha.gif]

EA: Blink ..... Dodgy ..... [Image: 274fe60f5104c0868396ed7be03a8315.gif]

[Image: spacecraft-1.gif]

EA: Evil_monster

Doc: Ryan? Ryan?

Doc: Has anyone seen Im_Ryan?

EA: Angel

So what's new? Drinking Beverage

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
31-01-2014, 07:54 AM
RE: DOC'S EWW-ICK-ICK! SUNDAY SCHOOL (REVEALING GOD IN ALL HIS GLORY)
What do you know of the Nazareth / Nazarene controversy? I've read some things suggesting the 2 words aren't even related. Any thoughts? I'm also trying to generate interest in the topic here.. but, it's been very quiet.
31-01-2014, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 10:11 AM by docskeptic.)
(31-01-2014 07:54 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  What do you know of the Nazareth / Nazarene controversy? I've read some things suggesting the 2 words aren't even related. Any thoughts? I'm also trying to generate interest in the topic here.. but, it's been very quiet.

Anonymous66,
I'm no expert, but I can give you an opinion. The basic facts seem to be that Jesus was called a Nazarene, because he was ostensibly from the town of Nazareth. Here are some of my observations:

1. Matthew says that it was necessary for Jesus to come from Nazareth to fulfill "what was said through the prophets: 'He will be called a Nazarene' (Matt. 2:23). This particular "prophecy" cannot be found in any Old Testament book, canonical or otherwise.
2. Matthew may have had in mind the verse Judges 13:5, which deal with the prediction of Samson's birth. The verse read as follows (an angel is speaking to Samson's mother),”You will become pregnant and have a son whose head is never to be touched by a razor because the boy is to be a Nazirite, dedicated to God from the womb. He will take the lead in delivering Israel from the hands of the Philistines.”

Facts 1 and 2 suggest to me that Jesus may actually have been born in Nazareth, whereas Matthew expected him to be born in Bethlehem, to fulfill that other prophecy in Micah 5:2, which says that “the ruler” would come out of Bethlehem. How embarrassing then for Matthew to find that Jesus came from Nazareth.

It would be easy for Matthew to take Judges 13:5 out of context, change Nazirite to Nazarene and voila, instant Messiah! Incidentally, Matthew does the same thing many times to the point that none of the prophecies he quotes from the OT are reliable (he quotes or alludes to the OT at least 12 times.)

Now, I know that many doubt even the existence of the town Nazareth in the first decade BCE, but the fact that Matthew went through such mental and verbal gymnastics to prove that Jesus was the Messiah may be proof that Jesus was indeed from Nazareth and that the town did exist back then, perhaps as an insignificant little village (hence Nathanael's diss.)

It is a fact that Jesus was called the Nazarene many times after his birth, by the people (Mk. 10:47, Lk. 24:39), by angels (Mk. 16:6), by demons (Mk. 1:24, Lk. 4:34) and by himself (according to Paul's vision, in Acts 22:8). More proof that everyone knew that he was from Nazareth, otherwise he should have been called Jesus the Bethlehemite (his supposed birth-place) or Jesus the Capernaumite (his main base of operations).

More on the Nazarenes in another post.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
31-01-2014, 10:54 AM
(31-01-2014 10:01 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  More proof that everyone knew that he was from Nazareth, otherwise he should have been called Jesus the Bethlehemite (his supposed birth-place) or Jesus the Capernaumite (his main base of operations).

Doc

I think we should all append our internet names in a similar fashion. I could be
Full Circle the Oceanite, Earmuffs the Dynamite, Hafnof the Vegemite, House of Cantor the Gwynitte...etc Consider Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
31-01-2014, 11:00 AM
(31-01-2014 10:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 10:01 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  More proof that everyone knew that he was from Nazareth, otherwise he should have been called Jesus the Bethlehemite (his supposed birth-place) or Jesus the Capernaumite (his main base of operations).

Doc

I think we should all append our internet names in a similar fashion. I could be
Full Circle the Oceanite, Earmuffs the Dynamite, Hafnof the Vegemite, House of Cantor the Gwynitte...etc Consider Big Grin

Buckmeister of the balls ?
I don't think so. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Re: RE: DOC'S EWW-ICK-ICK! SUNDAY SCHOOL (REVEALING GOD IN ALL HIS GLORY)
(31-01-2014 10:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Doc

I'll be Phil Hill the Easton Assassin... Oh shit, now Larry Holmes is gonna get me Smile

Using Tapatalk
31-01-2014, 11:22 AM
(31-01-2014 11:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 10:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I think we should all append our internet names in a similar fashion. I could be

Buckmeister of the balls ?
I don't think so. Weeping

Bucky the Testiculite

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce