Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
31-01-2014, 01:48 PM
RE: DOC'S EWW-ICK-ICK! SUNDAY SCHOOL (REVEALING GOD IN ALL HIS GLORY)
Yeah? What about mine?

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2014, 01:51 PM
And me, too! Sadcryface2

31-01-2014, 01:55 PM
(31-01-2014 01:51 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  And me, too! Sadcryface2

Houdini the escape artist!
Wait... other way round :
Escape artist the Houdini!

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
31-01-2014, 02:06 PM
(31-01-2014 01:55 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 01:51 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  And me, too! Sadcryface2

Houdini the escape artist!
Wait... other way round :
Escape artist the Houdini!

It should be X the Yite.

Escape Artist the Houdinite.

Escape Artist the Whodunnit... Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-01-2014, 02:15 PM
JAH ever the suck up stands in the back of the class and yells, "class pipe down we are here to be taught and can't be with all this noise".

Doc, I am most interested in the eww-ick-ick part of this new lesson on god. Do we get to see it naked. Or do we get to hear more details about all the bloody battles in the OT. Or maybe how he impregnated Mary without touching her. Doing it that way sounds a little boring to me.
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
31-01-2014, 02:29 PM
(31-01-2014 02:15 PM)JAH Wrote:  JAH ever the suck up stands in the back of the class and yells, "class pipe down we are here to be taught and can't be with all this noise".

Doc, I am most interested in the eww-ick-ick part of this new lesson on god. Do we get to see it naked. Or do we get to hear more details about all the bloody battles in the OT. Or maybe how he impregnated Mary without touching her. Doing it that way sounds a little boring to me.

Shut up nerd

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
31-01-2014, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 12:30 PM by anonymous66.)
(31-01-2014 10:01 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 07:54 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  What do you know of the Nazareth / Nazarene controversy? I've read some things suggesting the 2 words aren't even related. Any thoughts? I'm also trying to generate interest in the topic here.. but, it's been very quiet.

Anonymous66,
I'm no expert, but I can give you an opinion. The basic facts seem to be that Jesus was called a Nazarene, because he was ostensibly from the town of Nazareth. Here are some of my observations:

1. Matthew says that it was necessary for Jesus to come from Nazareth to fulfill "what was said through the prophets: 'He will be called a Nazarene' (Matt. 2:23). This particular "prophecy" cannot be found in any Old Testament book, canonical or otherwise.
2. Matthew may have had in mind the verse Judges 13:5, which deal with the prediction of Samson's birth. The verse read as follows (an angel is speaking to Samson's mother),”You will become pregnant and have a son whose head is never to be touched by a razor because the boy is to be a Nazirite, dedicated to God from the womb. He will take the lead in delivering Israel from the hands of the Philistines.”

Facts 1 and 2 suggest to me that Jesus may actually have been born in Nazareth, whereas Matthew expected him to be born in Bethlehem, to fulfill that other prophecy in Micah 5:2, which says that “the ruler” would come out of Bethlehem. How embarrassing then for Matthew to find that Jesus came from Nazareth.

It would be easy for Matthew to take Judges 13:5 out of context, change Nazirite to Nazarene and voila, instant Messiah! Incidentally, Matthew does the same thing many times to the point that none of the prophecies he quotes from the OT are reliable (he quotes or alludes to the OT at least 12 times.)

Now, I know that many doubt even the existence of the town Nazareth in the first decade BCE, but the fact that Matthew went through such mental and verbal gymnastics to prove that Jesus was the Messiah may be proof that Jesus was indeed from Nazareth and that the town did exist back then, perhaps as an insignificant little village (hence Nathanael's diss.)

It is a fact that Jesus was called the Nazarene many times after his birth, by the people (Mk. 10:47, Lk. 24:39), by angels (Mk. 16:6), by demons (Mk. 1:24, Lk. 4:34) and by himself (according to Paul's vision, in Acts 22:8). More proof that everyone knew that he was from Nazareth, otherwise he should have been called Jesus the Bethlehemite (his supposed birth-place) or Jesus the Capernaumite (his main base of operations).

More on the Nazarenes in another post.

Doc

Thanks for that, Doc. I've been reading a lot from the mythicist crowd, and it's good for me to get another perspecitve... Do you think there's even a chance that there was a sect of Nazarenes with no ties to Nazareth, and that all reference to Nazareth are a later interpolation?
And what do you make of the fact that Mathew suggests a fulfilled prophecy in relation to Nazareth, when in reality, there is no prophecy, and also no mention at all of Nazareth in the old testament?
03-02-2014, 08:32 AM
RE: DOC'S HYDROPHOBIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (RABIDLY PREACHING THE WORD SINCE 2013)
Anonymous,
I was going to reply to your query about the Nazarenes, but Mark Fulton did an admirable job of that here.

If I may, I'd like to focus on the second part of your question, that of Matthew misquoting or altering OT texts to make them "fit". I've addressed this topic before, but it may be worthwhile repeating since some of Jesus' claims to divinity rest on his fulfilling prophecy.

Jesus was born in a time where gods and miracle men were a dime a dozen. To make him stand out from among this crowded field, Matthew had to pull out all the stops, hence the "prophecies". Sometimes, the results produced are just plain silly.

Here's one example, Matthew quotes Zechariah during Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Zechariah 9:9 says, "Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

Zechariah was using an old Hebrew poetic trick of parallel phrasing to express the same idea or object. It is clear that he meant only one animal. However, in his zeal to prove that Jesus was indeed the Christ, Matthew says that he literally fulfilled this prophecy. Matthew 21: 4-7 says: "The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. They brought the donkey and the colt, placed their cloaks on them, and Jesus sat on them".

Jesus rode on two animals simultaneously! Even more amazing, one was smaller than the other! How do you think he achieved this feat of riding and what should we call this miracle? Since anything Jesus sat on may be considered holy, I previously suggested "The Miracle of the Holy Ass".

Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
03-02-2014, 08:38 AM
"HYDROPHOBIC SUNDAY SCHOOL"

I love water.
Does this mean you're lipophilic ? How the 'ell you gonna make some cells this way ?
I might have to tell my mom and dad to quit paying for this fat-ass Sunday school.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-02-2014, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 10:47 AM by anonymous66.)
(03-02-2014 08:32 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Anonymous,
I was going to reply to your query about the Nazarenes, but Mark Fulton did an admirable job of that here.

If I may, I'd like to focus on the second part of your question, that of Matthew misquoting or altering OT texts to make them "fit". I've addressed this topic before, but it may be worthwhile repeating since some of Jesus' claims to divinity rest on his fulfilling prophecy.

Jesus was born in a time where gods and miracle men were a dime a dozen. To make him stand out from among this crowded field, Matthew had to pull out all the stops, hence the "prophecies". Sometimes, the results produced are just plain silly.

Here's one example, Matthew quotes Zechariah during Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Zechariah 9:9 says, "Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

Zechariah was using an old Hebrew poetic trick of parallel phrasing to express the same idea or object. It is clear that he meant only one animal. However, in his zeal to prove that Jesus was indeed the Christ, Matthew says that he literally fulfilled this prophecy. Matthew 21: 4-7 says: "The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. They brought the donkey and the colt, placed their cloaks on them, and Jesus sat on them".

Jesus rode on two animals simultaneously! Even more amazing, one was smaller than the other! How do you think he achieved this feat of riding and what should we call this miracle? Since anything Jesus sat on may be considered holy, I previously suggested "The Miracle of the Holy Ass".

Doc

Thanks Doc.
I thought I knew the bible fairly well, and that slipped by right by me. Or maybe I assumed that he just rode one at a time, but it does sound like Matthew is talking about him riding both, lol.