Doc's bishopric Sunday School (Noun or adjective? One word or two?)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
10-04-2013, 06:50 PM
RE: DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
(10-04-2013 06:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  2 Timothy 3:16

Verse here.

Exactly my point. "All scripture" AT THAT TIME, (since there was no "bible") or NT at the time could not have meant the "bible" as the canon was not formed until centuries later. He meant "holy books", as in ALL religious writings of any kind. NOT what today is the bible.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 06:50 PM
(10-04-2013 06:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'd like to know where the Bible claims it was "inspired", where that initial claim was made, by whom, and in what context, and how it makes sense that that claim was in a Bible text BEFORE there even exited a "ta biblia", which was non-unanimously VOTED into a canon centuries after the texts were written, and how the canon formation then makes sense if the votes were non-unanimous, and the criteria for at least some of it was , (Eusebius) that there are 4 winds and 4 columns on which the earth stands. Paul never claimed his letters were "inspired", and to this day, various sects disagree about what belongs in ti or out of it. Neither did any of the actual writers claim "inspiration". So who cooked up that concept, and exactly when.

The Tribe of Benjamin was one of their favorite whipping boys, as along with Judah, it was one of the two Southern tribes, which kept trying to assert it dominance, and pre-eminence.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...olden+calf

Was the assembly of JEPD by R "inspired". Was the pair of scissors where they cut up JEP and just happened to find D "inspired".
I need some magic scissors.

When (St.) Jerome said all "scripture" was beneficial, there was no canon. All he meant was that ALL "holy" writing was beneficial.

Paul to Timothy.

And he was talking about the Torah and other works such as The Assumption of Moses and The Book of Enoch... both of which were considered "scripture" during that time.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-04-2013, 06:54 PM
(10-04-2013 06:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Verse here.

Exactly my point. "All scripture" AT THAT TIME, (since there was no "bible") or NT at the time could not have meant the "bible" as the canon was not formed until centuries later. He meant "holy books", as in ALL religious writings of any kind. NOT what today is the bible.

Isn't this what I said?

10-04-2013, 06:55 PM
(10-04-2013 06:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  All your assertions are based on the assumption that the Bible is literally inerrant.

Verse here.

(10-04-2013 06:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Paul to Timothy.
And he was talking about the Torah and other works such as The Assumption of Moses and The Book of Enoch... both of which were considered "scripture" during that time.

So all scripture is inspired by god, but it is not inerrant but god is perfect but not in this case but we have to do what the bible says because it was inspired by god...

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-04-2013, 06:57 PM
(10-04-2013 06:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Verse here.

So then the mistakes are his fault as well then?

Whose fault are is 100% irrelevant to doc's claims. He created an entire refutation based on a false dilemma which renders the argument moot.

10-04-2013, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 07:09 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-04-2013 06:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 06:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Exactly my point. "All scripture" AT THAT TIME, (since there was no "bible") or NT at the time could not have meant the "bible" as the canon was not formed until centuries later. He meant "holy books", as in ALL religious writings of any kind. NOT what today is the bible.

Isn't this what I said?

So you're saying that all the other gospels and The Epistle of Barnabas, and the Books that were left out were "inspired" too ? What about all the OT scrolls/texts that were eventually left out ? What you have to assert, finally , is that the process of canon formation was what was actually the inspired part.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-04-2013, 07:06 PM
I want to read the gospels inspired by Jack Daniels

[Image: jack_daniels1.jpg]

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-04-2013, 07:11 PM
(10-04-2013 06:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 06:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  All your assertions are based on the assumption that the Bible is literally inerrant.

Verse here.

(10-04-2013 06:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Paul to Timothy.

So all scripture is inspired by god, but it is not inerrant but god is perfect but not in this case but we have to do what the bible says because it was inspired by god...

God being perfect has no bearing on literal inerrancy... unless He wants us to understand literally. His perfection circles around what He wants to teach us from scripture.

It's the same way I teach my son. I tell him to stay away from poison ivy and to not eat it because it will hurt him.

Will it hurt him? Probably not... I'm not allegeric to it so he's probably not either. Still going to take the precaution, though. Am I'm going to explain to him how thentoxins interact with his body and can potentially hurt him?

Not at 3. Maybe when he's older. He would have no clue what I was talking about.

So what did I teach him?

To stay away from poison ivy? Why? Because Daddy said so and it could hurt me.

And the Bible isn't for everyone. It's for believers. As a non-believer you have no obligation to it.

Also, believing that the Bible is inspired is purely built on faith... just like the acceptance of God. This faith only comes from God... meaning you can only have this faith if it is given to you.

10-04-2013, 07:14 PM
(10-04-2013 07:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 06:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So all scripture is inspired by god, but it is not inerrant but god is perfect but not in this case but we have to do what the bible says because it was inspired by god...

God being perfect has no bearing on literal inerrancy... unless He wants us to understand literally. His perfection circles around what He wants to teach us from scripture.

It's the same way I teach my son. I tell him to stay away from poison ivy and to not eat it because it will hurt him.

Will it hurt him? Probably not... I'm not allegeric to it so he's probably not either. Still going to take the precaution, though. Am I'm going to explain to him how thentoxins interact with his body and can potentially hurt him?

Not at 3. Maybe when he's older. He would have no clue what I was talking about.

So what did I teach him?

To stay away from poison ivy? Why? Because Daddy said so and it could hurt me.

And the Bible isn't for everyone. It's for believers. As a non-believer you have no obligation to it.

Also, believing that the Bible is inspired is purely built on faith... just like the acceptance of God. This faith only comes from God... meaning you can only have this faith if it is given to you.

By definition then you're saying that your god is not perfect. If he was perfect then his meaning would be clear. In your example you said what you are telling your son may not be true but you don't know. If god is all knowing and perfect then he would know and would be perfectly clear.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
10-04-2013, 07:16 PM
(10-04-2013 06:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 06:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Isn't this what I said?

So you're saying that all the other gospels and The Epistle of Barnabas, and the Books that were left out were "inspired" too ? What about all the OT scrolls/texts that were eventually left out ? What you have to assert, finally , is that the process of canon formation was what was actually the inspired part.

I have struggled with this... not gonna lie.

I do believe, though - purely on faith - that God guided what He wanted the Church Age to have as "scripture". I think that God has used other "scriptures" during different time frames to relate to different sets of people.

But... me being as Calvinistic as I am, I think that the Bible is set up exactly as God wanted it to be according to His plan for this day and age.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post