Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
04-07-2014, 10:37 AM
RE: DOC'S PAREGORIC SUNDAY SCHOOL
(03-07-2014 02:00 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's easily explained.
Many cocks.

Weeping

Ah, and thereby hangs a tail.

Let me explain. Here are the predictions as given by 3 of the evangelists:
Matthew: "Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice;"
Luke: "I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me;"
John: "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, the cock shall not crow till thou hast denied me thrice."

It's very clear that Jesus meant that Peter would deny him three (and only three) times before the cock crowed even once.

However Mark says, "Verily I say unto thee, That this day, before the cock crow twice, thou shall deny me thrice."

Now, if Mark is right, Matthew, Luke and John are wrong, for the three denials would not have taken place before the first cock crow.

If the three evangelists are right, Mark is guilty of redundancy. Why say that the cock would have to crow twice when all three denials would have taken place before the first cock crow?

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2014, 07:14 PM
(04-07-2014 10:21 AM)Anjele Wrote:  PS - Thanks for reminding me of those books. I just ordered a couple of them. It's been years since I read them and I would like to read them again. Big Grin Thumbsup

I loved those books. They took me to a safe and happy place. Like the Jeeves and Wooster series. Enjoy!

Doc
04-07-2014, 07:47 PM
(04-07-2014 07:14 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 10:21 AM)Anjele Wrote:  PS - Thanks for reminding me of those books. I just ordered a couple of them. It's been years since I read them and I would like to read them again. Big Grin Thumbsup

I loved those books. They took me to a safe and happy place. Like the Jeeves and Wooster series. Enjoy!

Doc

Herriot took the titles from this poem:

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colours,
He made their tiny wings.

etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Of course, I prefer this version:

All things dull and ugly,
all creatures short and squat;
All things rude and nasty,
the Lord God made the lot.

Each little snake that poisons,
each little wasp that stings
He made their brutish venom,
He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,
all evil great and small
All things foul and dangerous,
the Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,
each beastly little squid.
Who made the spiky urchin?
Who made the shark? He did.

All things scabbed and ulcerous,
all pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.
Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
09-07-2014, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 03:06 PM by docskeptic.)
RE: DOC'S BORBORYGMIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (MAKE A JOYFUL NOISE UNTO THE LORD!)
A minor point involving the accounts of Peter's denial of Jesus to consider is the following:

Mark 14: 66-68 says, While Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came by. When she saw Peter warming himself, she looked closely at him. “You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus,” she said. But he denied it.

Meanwhile, Luke 22: 60-61 says, About an hour later another asserted, “Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean.” Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter.

So, Mark says that Peter was below in the courtyard when the denials took place. By inference, Jesus's trial before the Sanhedrin must have taken place on an upper floor in the high priest's house.

How, then, could Jesus turn and look straight at Peter? Was he near a window? X-Ray vision? Literary license?

Doc
09-07-2014, 02:02 PM
(09-07-2014 01:54 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  A minor point involving the accounts of Peter's denial of Jesus to consider is the following:

Mark 14: 66-68 says, "While Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came by. When she saw Peter warming himself, she looked closely at him. “You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus,” she said. But he denied it.

Meanwhile, Luke 22: 60-61 says, "About an hour later another asserted, “Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean.” Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter.

So, Mark says that Peter was below in the courtyard when the denials took place. By inference, Jesus's trial before the Sanhedrin must have taken place on an upper floor in the high priest's house.

How, then, could Jesus turn and look straight at Peter? Was he near a window? X-Ray vision? Literary license?

Doc

The Sanhedrin never once in all of Jewish history was called into session on Passover weekend. If it had been, a Jewish historian would have remarked about the need for such a highly unusual event. It never happened.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-07-2014, 03:08 PM
(09-07-2014 02:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-07-2014 01:54 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  A minor point involving the accounts of Peter's denial of Jesus to consider is the following:

Mark 14: 66-68 says, "While Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came by. When she saw Peter warming himself, she looked closely at him. “You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus,” she said. But he denied it.

Meanwhile, Luke 22: 60-61 says, "About an hour later another asserted, “Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean.” Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter.

Doc

The Sanhedrin never once in all of Jewish history was called into session on Passover weekend. If it had been, a Jewish historian would have remarked about the need for such a highly unusual event. It never happened.

Bucky,
Do you have to ruin all my elegant arguments with cold, brutal facts?
Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
09-07-2014, 03:31 PM
:slinking away:
Not gonna go ta this stupid Sunday School no morz.
This week anyway.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-07-2014, 04:54 PM
(09-07-2014 03:08 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(09-07-2014 02:02 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Sanhedrin never once in all of Jewish history was called into session on Passover weekend. If it had been, a Jewish historian would have remarked about the need for such a highly unusual event. It never happened.

Bucky,
Do you have to ruin all my elegant arguments with cold, brutal facts?
Doc

There's always one troublemaker in every class. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
22-07-2014, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2014 08:07 AM by docskeptic.)
RE: Doc's Cyrillic воскресная школа
Since we were talking about the arrest of Jesus, let's look at the healing of the high priest's servant's ear.

The story goes as follows: After the Passover Feast, Jesus goes to the Garden of Gethsemane at the foot of the Mount of Olives to pray. While he is there, Judas Iscariot arrives with a large party of soldiers and officials from the chief priests and Pharisees to arrest him (John 18:3). Following Judas’s infamous kiss, the disciples realize what is about to happen and ask if they should “strike with the sword.” Before Jesus has a chance to reply, Peter draws his sword and cuts off the right ear of the servant of the high priest, Malchus by name. Jesus immediately calls for a halt to the action, admonishes Peter for the violence, touches the man’s ear, and heals him.

This, the last miracle performed by Jesus, is recorded in only one of the gospels (in Luke 22:49), but the amputation itself is mentioned in all four. To clarify, Matthew 26:51, Mark 14:47, and John 18:10 all describe the cutting off of the chief priest’s servant’s ear, with John even naming Peter as the assailant and Malchus as the servant, but all three writers completely fail to mention the vastly more impressive feat performed by Jesus of reattaching the ear to Malchus’s head. Odder still, of all the Gospel writers, it was exactly Luke who was not there in Garden of Gethsemane with Jesus to witness the event.

How is it that a non-witness (Luke) can provide more detail of an event than 3 eye-witnesses (Matthew and John. Mark, too, if he was the young man who fled the scene naked)? And how is it that 3 of the 4 writers record the attack but completely fail to record an impressive miracle?

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
22-07-2014, 10:29 AM
RE: Doc's Cyrillic воскресная школа
Wait: Matthew, Mark, and John were eyewitnesses? Based on what?