Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
19-11-2015, 10:04 AM
RE: Doc's static Sunday School (plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose)
(17-11-2015 11:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-11-2015 08:53 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Er...Doc, apparently our Denisovian ancestors were pretty fricking huge to have their teeth mistaken for that of cave bears!

“Paleontologists still don’t know exactly what the Denisovans looked like, but they did have teeth so big that at first they were mistaken for cave bear teeth, Kaplan writes."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news...12/?no-ist

The Bible doth not mentioneth fucken bugs bunny Rolleyes Heathen.

[Image: BugsBunnyMaroon_zpsovbdcvr5.jpg]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
19-11-2015, 10:12 AM
(18-11-2015 09:16 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Wasn't one of Noah's sons married to a woman who had some sort of giant heritage? I'll have to ask my brother, since he brought it up. It may have just been some apologetic bullshit.

Isn't "apologetic bullshit" redundant? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
19-11-2015, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2015 01:05 PM by docskeptic.)
(18-11-2015 03:39 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  So are they suggesting that Goliath stood still while someone used their arm to measure him? Surely, if they had a measuring device, that would be obsolete the moment another person used it. I thought the measure of the cubit was an Egyptian unit of measure and that it always changed with a new Pharaoh. Correct me if I am wrong.

You had to do it, didn't you? I was just going to mention giants and move on to how much God love us, when you brought up this topic of cubits. *Deep sigh* OK. Here we go.

Let's look at Deut. 3:11 again: "For only Og, king of Bashan was left of the remnant of the Rephaim. Behold, his bedstead was an iron bedstead; it is in Rabbah of the sons of Ammon. Its length was nine cubits and its width four cubits by ordinary cubit."

Right away this tells us that the ancient Hebrews had an ordinary cubit and a not-so-ordinary cubit, likely a royal cubit. We have no idea how long each of these were. Also, it is likely that the Hebrews may have "borrowed" the royal cubit from Egypt, where it was fixed at 20.65"

Here are some cubits mentioned in the ancient literature:
1. Hebrew common cubit (unknown length)
2. Hebrew royal cubit (inferred from Ezekiel 40:5, "…and in the man‘s hand was a measuring rod of six cubits, each of which was a cubit and a handbreadth." So, the "royal" cubit was a handbreadth (4") longer than an ordinary cubit.
3. Egyptian common cubit (?17.5")
4. Egyptian royal cubit (20.65")
5. Canaanite royal cubit (?17.5")
6. Babylonian royal cubit (19.8")
7. Mesopotamian (Khorsabad) cubit (15.9")
8. Various large palaces and temples had their own cubits.

Which of these David used to measure Goliath is up for grabs. As to your objection that Goliath would not have stood still to be measured, it has been my observation that dead people generally do not move much.

Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
20-11-2015, 02:15 PM
RE: Doc's Pyrrhic Sunday School (defeating ignorance since 2013)
OK. One more point about Goliath, then I'll move on. 1 Samuel 17:5-5 says, "(Goliath) had a bronze helmet on his head and wore a coat of scale armor of bronze weighing five thousand shekels; on his legs he wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back. His spear shaft was like a weaver’s rod, and its iron point weighed six hundred shekels. His shield bearer went ahead of him."

Just his armor and spear alone weighed 125-140 lbs., give or take. Add on his helmet, greaves and javelin and Goliath was hefting a total of 150-160 lbs. or more, easy. A fully loaded marine totes around 60 lbs. or so. Even the Greek Hoplites topped out at around 70 lbs. Why would Goliath have been so heavily armored? And how would even a giant like him manage to carry around so much weight for any length of time? No wonder the poor guy was such easy prey for a nimble lad like David.

Doc
20-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Doc, was it true that Goliath had a piece on him that some men would call a third leg?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-11-2015, 04:11 PM
(20-11-2015 03:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Doc, was it true that Goliath had a piece on him that some men would call a third leg?

No. That was the Chinese mythical hero, Mine Hung Lo.

Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
20-11-2015, 08:52 PM
(20-11-2015 04:11 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(20-11-2015 03:28 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Doc, was it true that Goliath had a piece on him that some men would call a third leg?

No. That was the Chinese mythical hero, Mine Hung Lo.

Doc

No....it was Leung Dong.

Smile

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
[+] 2 users Like OhDannyBoy's post
20-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Question Doc, wouldn't this massive helmet have protected his forehead? It says in 1 Samuel 17 that Goliath came at David with a sword, spear, and javelin (v 45) so does it seem likely that he would have left his helmet?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
21-11-2015, 04:02 PM
(18-11-2015 09:16 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Wasn't one of Noah's sons married to a woman who had some sort of giant heritage? I'll have to ask my brother, since he brought it up. It may have just been some apologetic bullshit.

Is your brother a Christian? Or Jewish? Maybe he was thinking of Lilith, the first wife of Adam? She was sometimes described as a "night monster" or hag. Although created as a human, she rebelled against Adam (by refusing to assume the missionary position) and went on to become the mother of demons.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
21-11-2015, 04:55 PM
(21-11-2015 04:02 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  

Is your brother a Christian? Or Jewish? Maybe he was thinking of Lilith, the first wife of Adam? She was sometimes described as a "night monster" or hag. Although created as a human, she rebelled against Adam (by refusing to assume the missionary position) and went on to become the mother of demons.

Doc
We're both recovering Catholics who are now atheists.