Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
12-08-2016, 11:02 AM
RE: Doc's dysarthric Sunday School (preaching the gospel clearly since 2013)
(11-08-2016 05:17 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The whole "foreign wife" thing is so ironic. They married their Canaanite religion with Babylonian religion and produced the bastard offspring of Judaism. Facepalm

It is odd, this Jewish xenophobia, especially considering their history:
1. Moses (the one who banned mixed marriages) himself had two "foreign" wives, Zipporah, a Midianite and an unnanmed Cushite (probably an Ethiopian) woman
2. King David's grandmother, Ruth, was a Moabitess
3. Both David and Solomon (as well as many other Israelite and Judean kings) had many "foreign" wives.

Why so serious?

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
12-08-2016, 11:08 AM
RE: Doc's dysarthric Sunday School (preaching the gospel clearly since 2013)
I can't swallow this shit. I gag on it. I have dysphagia though. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-08-2016, 01:58 AM
RE: Doc's dysphagic Sunday School (thanks Bucky!)
(08-08-2016 09:08 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  So, I was always aware that deep misogyny pervaded the Bible, and recently I read something in Job that reinforced that notion.

We are all familiar with the story of Job. Basically, God bets Satan that Job will remain true to him (God) even if the devil assaulted him (with God's permission) with all his might and devastated his property, his home, his family and finally his own health. Following these events, three of Job's friends show up and try to justify his misfortunes by suggesting that Job must have had some secret sin for which he is being punished by God.

Job retaliates by claiming his own innocence and in Job 31: 9, he says the following: "If my heart has been seduced by a woman, or if I have lusted for my neighbor’s wife, then let my wife belong to another man; let other men sleep with her."

In essence, Job suggests that any little peccadillo on his part could be adequately recompensed by having his own wife assaulted by other men.

How this escaped me when I was still a believer is beyond me.

Doc

How this escaped me when I was still a believer is beyond me

Why you were ever a believer is beyond me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
13-08-2016, 02:03 AM
(12-08-2016 11:02 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 05:17 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The whole "foreign wife" thing is so ironic. They married their Canaanite religion with Babylonian religion and produced the bastard offspring of Judaism. Facepalm

It is odd, this Jewish xenophobia, especially considering their history:
1. Moses (the one who banned mixed marriages) himself had two "foreign" wives, Zipporah, a Midianite and an unnanmed Cushite (probably an Ethiopian) woman
2. King David's grandmother, Ruth, was a Moabitess
3. Both David and Solomon (as well as many other Israelite and Judean kings) had many "foreign" wives.

Why so serious?

Doc

the biggest religious zealots are always the biggest hypocrites
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
13-08-2016, 02:19 PM
(13-08-2016 01:58 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Why you were ever a believer is beyond me.

'Tis easy! I was stupid (or ignorant. Or both.)

Doc
13-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Doc's dysphagic Sunday School (thanks Bucky!)
Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-08-2016, 07:06 PM
(13-08-2016 02:19 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(13-08-2016 01:58 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Why you were ever a believer is beyond me.

Doc

I doubt it.

We're all a little vulnerable at age 3.
14-08-2016, 06:08 AM
(13-08-2016 02:19 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  

Doc

So when did you go from Docstupid to Docskeptic?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
14-08-2016, 08:58 AM
(14-08-2016 06:08 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(13-08-2016 02:19 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  'Tis easy! I was stupid (or ignorant. Or both.)

Doc

So when did you go from Docstupid to Docskeptic?

To my eternal shame, not till I was 42 years old , so I don't even have Mark's excuse of being too young to know any better. I just lacked the courage to acknowledge the truth.

Doc
14-08-2016, 09:13 AM
(14-08-2016 08:58 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  I just lacked the courage to acknowledge the truth.

Doc

That is a profound statement.

I ignored it for twenty years because I knew that admitting to myself and to others that I no longer believed would be very painful. We humans prefer not to suffer all things being equal. It wasn’t until the scales tipped and the pain of not admitting it outweighed the expected pain of repercussions did I acknowledge my apostasy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce