Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
18-04-2013, 09:08 AM
RE: DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
(17-04-2013 06:58 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Starcrash,
Just to prove I wasn't talking through my turban, please see the attached picture. I nicked this page from my nephew's Sunday School workbook when his mother wasn't looking,

Doc.

No wonder we, meaning the indoctrinated, are just a bit upset when we become adults and have to shed all this crap that's been pounded into our heads as children Bangin

FTS

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
18-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Um Doc I'm at a bit of a quandary here. The killing of an entire village worth of children by use of the beasts of the earth seems much more like witchcraft than the holy spirit. Weren't women in medieval times who communed with wild animals nearly always burned as witches?
[/quote]

Revenant (Why do I always think of Halo when I say your name?),

You bring up a good point. A witch traditionally had 2 powers: a. Cosmic, wherein the forces of nature could be controlled and b. Personal, wherein the witch could affect another person, for good or for evil.

2 Kings 2:24 says that Elisha cursed the 42 children "in the name of the Lord" and the she-bears attacked. If the bears were obeying God, then he was culpable for the atrocity. If they obeyed Elisha, then he was a witch. Christians dance around this issue. They justify the attack by saying that the children were not children after all, but "youths" who taunted Elisha and were about to physically attack him, putting his life in danger. He was simply defending himself. The text does NOT support this interpretation at all.

This not the only incident of witchcraft in the Bible. 1 Samuel 28 relates the story of Saul, Israel's first king. After he was abandoned by God, he consulted a witch (or, more accurately, a medium or necromancer) who was able to call up the spirit of the departed Samuel, who condemned him for his actions and accurately foretold his death.

This story brings up thorny issues for Christians. Where was Samuel's spirit residing before it was recalled by the medium? And what gave the medium power over the "man of God" such that he had to obey her summons? To be honest, though, only the medium could see the spirit, Saul having to rely on her word that there even was one (sounds similar to the way mediums operate now!).

Some of Jesus's actions also laid him open to charges of witchcraft: stilling a raging sea, casting out demons, blasting a fig tree, etc. In Luke 11: 15, after Jesus cast out a demon from a mute, the Jews said, “By Beelzebul, the prince of demons, he is driving out demons.” Much of Jesus's reputation relied on the performance of magic tricks designed to wow the crowd. A more skeptical crowd in Nazareth cramped his style. Matthew 13:58 says, "And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith."

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
18-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Revenant77x: Sir, I've been wondering. What is a soul?

Doc: Why, bless you, my lad, don't you know?! The dictionary defines `soul' as "the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life".

Revenant77x: I see. What is a spirit, then?

Doc (faltering a bit): Well, the dictionary defines `spirit' as "the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life".

Revenant77x: So, they are identical then?

Doc: Well, no. The Bible speaks of them as distinct entities. For example, 1 Thess. 4:12 says, "May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." And Hebrews 4:12 says that the word of God is "sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart".

Revenant77x: And which of them is the life force? In other words, the absence of which one heralds death?

Doc: Both. Jesus says in Mark 14:34 that his "soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death", while in Luke 23:46 he says "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit" just before he dies.

Revenant77x: And where in the human body do they reside?

Doc: Ummm...

Turning to the monitor, he calls out to the forum audience, "HELP!"
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
18-04-2013, 05:17 PM
(18-04-2013 04:25 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Revenant77x: Sir, I've been wondering. What is a soul?

Doc: Why, bless you, my lad, don't you know?! The dictionary defines `soul' as "the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life".

Revenant77x: I see. What is a spirit, then?

Doc (faltering a bit): Well, the dictionary defines `spirit' as "the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life".

Revenant77x: So, they are identical then?

Doc: Well, no. The Bible speaks of them as distinct entities. For example, 1 Thess. 4:12 says, "May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." And Hebrews 4:12 says that the word of God is "sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart".

Revenant77x: And which of them is the life force? In other words, the absence of which one heralds death?

Doc: Both. Jesus says in Mark 14:34 that his "soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death", while in Luke 23:46 he says "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit" just before he dies.

Revenant77x: And where in the human body do they reside?

Doc: Ummm...

Turning to the monitor, he calls out to the forum audience, "HELP!"

HEY! No fair peeking in at my debate with the theist to find my strategy. Cool

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Revenant77x (excitedly): I found it! I found it! I found where the soul resides in the human body!

Doc (warily): Oh, yes?

Revenant77x: Yes. Deut. 12:23 says, "But be sure you do not eat the blood, because the blood is the life [nephesh, literally "the soul"] and you must not eat the life [nephesh, soul] with the meat." Also Lev. 17: 11 says, ""For the life [nephesh, soul] of a creature is in the blood".

Doc (relieved): Well, there you are then. These passages are quoted by the Jehovah's Witnesses as the foundation for their refusal to receive blood transfusions.

Revenant77x: But how much blood is required to contain a soul? A pint? A quart? Don't patients routinely survive massive blood losses? Don't some patients become transfusion dependent? Can a soul be transfused along with the blood? And what happens when the blood turns cancerous as in leukemia or lymphoma? Does the soul turn cancerous too? And don't these passages imply that animals have souls too?

Doc: Oh, look at the time. You'll be late for Professor B. Hinn's class on "Healing the wealthy of their riches". Run along, now. There's a good lad.
19-04-2013, 08:28 AM
DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
(19-04-2013 07:02 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Revenant77x (excitedly): I found it! I found it! I found where the soul resides in the human body!

Revenant77x: Yes. Deut. 12:23 says, "But be sure you do not eat the blood, because the blood is the life [nephesh, literally "the soul"] and you must not eat the life [nephesh, soul] with the meat." Also Lev. 17: 11 says, ""For the life [nephesh, soul] of a creature is in the blood".

Doc (relieved): Well, there you are then. These passages are quoted by the Jehovah's Witnesses as the foundation for their refusal to receive blood transfusions.

Revenant77x: But how much blood is required to contain a soul? A pint? A quart? Don't patients routinely survive massive blood losses? Don't some patients become transfusion dependent? Can a soul be transfused along with the blood? And what happens when the blood turns cancerous as in leukemia or lymphoma? Does the soul turn cancerous too? And don't these passages imply that animals have souls too?

Doc: Oh, look at the time. You'll be late for Professor B. Hinn's class on "Healing the wealthy of their riches". Run along, now. There's a good lad.

And isn't the blood constantly being disposed of and replenished?
19-04-2013, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 08:47 AM by docskeptic.)
(19-04-2013 08:28 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 07:02 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Revenant77x (excitedly): I found it! I found it! I found where the soul resides in the human body!

And isn't the blood constantly being disposed of and replenished?

Cardinal Smurf,
You are correct. The Bible should have said that the nephesh is in the bone marrow. That would have made more physiologic sense, since all blood components are so transitory. Of course, the bone marrow is also being constantly turned over, so maybe that's not the answer, either.

Where, then, can the soul be? Obviously, an intact body is not required, since an amputee has a soul according to the Christians. The heart? What about those with artifical hearts or heart transplants? Or what happens during cardiac bypass, when the heart is temporarily stopped?

Any thoughts? Would any theists like to comment? I don't bite.

Doc
19-04-2013, 10:31 AM
(17-04-2013 04:59 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Starcrash,
I kid you not. I found this for real in my 5 (read, five) year old nephew's Sunday School workbook. It may help if I explain that, if not already evident by my accent, I am Indian (the real McCoy from India), and the Indian church pulls no punches when it comes to indoctrinating the young.

Doc

If it's foreign, that would explain why I couldn't find it through Google. I tried to verify the legitimacy (because it's something that I would happily re-post myself in various places) but I wasn't able, which is one reason why I found it suspect.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-04-2013, 10:41 AM
(19-04-2013 10:31 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 04:59 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Starcrash,
I kid you not. I found this for real in my 5 (read, five) year old nephew's Sunday School workbook. It may help if I explain that, if not already evident by my accent, I am Indian (the real McCoy from India), and the Indian church pulls no punches when it comes to indoctrinating the young.

Doc

If it's foreign, that would explain why I couldn't find it through Google. I tried to verify the legitimacy (because it's something that I would happily re-post myself in various places) but I wasn't able, which is one reason why I found it suspect.

Starcrash,
Did you see the second picture I posted, showing the page from which this picture was excerpted? Can I get royalties if you re-post?

Doc
19-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Cardinal Smurf: Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute?

Doc (reluctantly putting down his copy of Barchester Towers): Yes, what is it?

Cardinal Smurf: I'm troubled, sir. No one can tell me what the human soul is, how it differs from the spirit and where it resides in the human body. For such an important topic, over which wars have been fought and rivers of blood spilt, there seems to be very little information. Can you tell me what a soul is?

Doc: Well, I asked my pastor that once and he said to ask a Ms. A. Franklin. I'm not sure who that is.

Cardinal Smurf: Also, when I searched the scriptures for the abode of the human soul, I came across some references to human organs that don't make sense.

Doc: Oh?

Cardinal Smurf: Yes, the ancient Israelites seem to have had little or no conception of the true nature or function of some human organs. For example, Psalm 26:2 says, "Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; try my reins and my heart." Similar passages are found in Psalm 7:9 and Psalm 16:7. 'Reins' is the archaic word for kidneys and these passages seem to suggest that the kidneys were the seat of conscience.

Doc: Really? Take a step to your left, please. That's not what it says in my Bible.

Cardinal Smurf, obeying: That's because the NIV has changed 'reins' to 'mind' wherever it is found. Similarly, the bowels which are the seat of emotion in Genesis 43:30 and Song of Solomon 5:4 were bowdlerized by the NIV to the word 'heart'. Similar confusion reigns around the mention of other organs such as the liver in Lamentations 2:11. In NO case is an organ given its true nature or function. If the ancient Israelites were so muddled about such simple facts, how can we trust them when it comes to intangible concepts such as the soul?

Doc (stealthily reaching for the trapdoor button): Do tell. Pray continue. You fascinate me strangely.