Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
01-05-2013, 07:19 AM
RE: DOC'S HOLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WHERE WE TEACH THE WHOLE BIBLE)
Revenant77x: Of course I will take the Daily Double, Alex.

Doc: Will you please stop calling me Alex? Now, your Daily Double category is "Bible animals which prove evolution".

Revenant77X (aghast): Surely you're not serious?

Doc: I am serious and don't call me Shirley, either. Now, we've already seen that the bat evolved from a bird to a flying mammal in less than 2500 years. In Leviticus 11:6, this cuddly animal evolved from a ruminant to a lagomorph in the same time frame.

Revenant77x (hazarding a guess): What is a... rabbit?

Doc: You are correct! In listing unclean animals, this portion of Leviticus also says, "The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a divided hoof; it is unclean for you." Since the rabbit is now considered a lagomorph and not a ruminant, this passage is clear proof that the rabbit evolved to its current form. How, then, can critics say that the Bible does not teach evolution?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
01-05-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't know if to laugh or cry.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-05-2013, 04:54 PM
(01-05-2013 07:23 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I don't know if to laugh or cry.

Aw, c'mon, Full Circle. My humor is not that corny.
Doc
01-05-2013, 05:08 PM
(01-05-2013 04:54 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 07:23 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I don't know if to laugh or cry.

Aw, c'mon, Full Circle. My humor is not that corny.
Doc

I, for one, eagerly await the next instalment of this thread. I have to say at the beginning I mistook your approach but now this has become one of my favorite threads. I mentioned this when I gave you a rep point but have you considered turning this into a book?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-05-2013, 05:48 PM
(01-05-2013 05:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 04:54 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Aw, c'mon, Full Circle. My humor is not that corny.
Doc

I, for one, eagerly await the next instalment of this thread. I have to say at the beginning I mistook your approach but now this has become one of my favorite threads. I mentioned this when I gave you a rep point but have you considered turning this into a book?

I'm reading his book now called Dissecting the Bible. The Kindle version was $3.99, the foreword alone is worth it as it gives you Doc Skeptic's background.

The topic of the book is a modern take by a physician (Doc is a real-life internist) of passages in the Bible that deal with cures and the like. I am finding it interesting but it doesn't have the great tongue-in-cheek humor that Doc shows here on this forum. Dissecting the Bible is a serious look at the medical aspects mentioned therein. It is a good read so far, both enlightning and insightful.

Doc, I think a second book with much of what you write here would be terrific! I want to see you take off the surgical kid gloves and do a sarcastic post-mortem, no holds barred! Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Hey doc, tell me, and us, about you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 02:57 AM
(02-05-2013 02:12 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hey doc, tell me, and us, about you.

Hear Hear, let us learn of this teacher from the far east who brings us such knowledge. Big Grin

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-05-2013, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 11:00 AM by docskeptic.)
Doc (blushing to the roots of his receding hairline): Full Circle and Revenant, thanks for the compliments. I have thoroughly enjoyed posting on this thread and hope to keep it up till I run out of Bible stories or zingers. Let me know when I've jumped the shark, will you?

My story is not that impressive or interesting. I grew up as an Indian expatriate in Kuwait with parents of the Plymouth Brethren persuasion. For those not familiar with this denomination, we are to the right of the Southern Baptists (when they visited the US, my parents refused to attend Baptist churches because they felt the chuches were too liberal!). Growing up in Kuwait limits your entertainment possibilities, therefore, our lives revolved around the church.

We attended church at least twice a week in addition to Sunday School. If an itinerant preacher passed through, then, oh, joy! we got to go again. The PB have no clergy and women are not allowed to participate in services. Therefore, all males (usually adult, but exceptionally, teens) were encouraged to preach or exhort. That meant that we had to know the Bible well.

Our Sunday Schools were rigorous with end-of-term exams, including essay questions. Therefore, a lot of the kids from that denomination are exceptionally well-versed in the Bible. We also used a lot of aids such as commentaries, atlases, dictionaries, etc. to deepen our knowledge of the Bible.

In 2009, due to a variety of reasons, but primarily because of my love for science, I abandoned my faith and found peace and happiness in pursuing reason (my extensive reading of the Bible also convinced me that this could not be the Word of God). I also enjoy writing and decided to combine my love of Bible teaching with my atheism in that medium. Part of that endeavour is what you read on this forum.

That's my story in a nutshell. I would really enjoy hearing from others as well, if you are inclined to share. That would persuade me that I am not the only "crazy" person around as my still deeply religious family insist on calling me.

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
doc, odd your story as it mirrors my daughter-in-laws (not actually by law) story. She grew up in a household where the bible was one of the few books allowed. She read it several times. She is now a very committed atheist, she does sometimes scold me for my lack of biblical knowledge.

I would ask that you continue to do the same. I must know the bible such that I will become one of the faithful. In full knowledge that when I die that pool hall with willing women awaits me. Me that is some 40 years younger of course.
02-05-2013, 06:19 PM
(02-05-2013 09:45 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Doc (blushing to the roots of his receding hairline): Full Circle and Revenant, thanks for the compliments. I have thoroughly enjoyed posting on this thread and hope to keep it up till I run out of Bible stories or zingers. Let me know when I've jumped the shark, will you?

My story is not that impressive or interesting. I grew up as an Indian expatriate in Kuwait with parents of the Plymouth Brethren persuasion. For those not familiar with this denomination, we are to the right of the Southern Baptists (when they visited the US, my parents refused to attend Baptist churches because they felt the chuches were too liberal!). Growing up in Kuwait limits your entertainment possibilities, therefore, our lives revolved around the church.

We attended church at least twice a week in addition to Sunday School. If an itinerant preacher passed through, then, oh, joy! we got to go again. The PB have no clergy and women are not allowed to participate in services. Therefore, all males (usually adult, but exceptionally, teens) were encouraged to preach or exhort. That meant that we had to know the Bible well.

Our Sunday Schools were rigorous with end-of-term exams, including essay questions. Therefore, a lot of the kids from that denomination are exceptionally well-versed in the Bible. We also used a lot of aids such as commentaries, atlases, dictionaries, etc. to deepen our knowledge of the Bible.

In 2009, due to a variety of reasons, but primarily because of my love for science, I abandoned my faith and found peace and happiness in pursuing reason (my extensive reading of the Bible also convinced me that this could not be the Word of God). I also enjoy writing and decided to combine my love of Bible teaching with my atheism in that medium. Part of that endeavour is what you read on this forum.

That's my story in a nutshell. I would really enjoy hearing from others as well, if you are inclined to share. That would persuade me that I am not the only "crazy" person around as my still deeply religious family insist on calling me.

Doc

Hey doc, that's real interesting. Plymouth Brethren heh? As in that nut (?D'Arby ) who invented dispensationalism? Kuwait! Wow...sounds bizzare. What sort of doc are you?

I'm an Australian GP. Here's the preface to a book I've written.

I was born in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. My parents were practicing Catholics.
I attended Catholic schools during my formative years. As a child and young man I never felt comfortable with Christianity, considering much of it inherently implausible. Like millions of others I suffered through religious instruction and church services, but I didn’t have the maturity or inclination or time to seriously question the dogma. I now regret the waste of countless hours lost in Christian indoctrination during my youth.

The day I left home as a sixteen year old I stopped going to church. I obtained a medical degree, and am now a practicing doctor on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia. I own a practice with a particular interest in preventative medicine. I have a holistic approach to my patients, and try to help people achieve not only good health, but also happiness.

Some years ago I began to notice that many of my Christian patients had significant psychological issues, and I wondered to what degree their Christian beliefs were responsible for their problems. I suspected that many political issues, too, had their roots in religious beliefs. The time was right to make a serious study of the religion I was born into.

I wanted to discover the essence of Christianity, and spent nearly all my spare time in the next seven years studying early Christian history, with a particular emphasis on the bible. The more I learned, the more intriguing the puzzle became.
After many years of study I arrived at some firm conclusions. I thought it worth sharing, so wrote it down. The result is this, my first book, a product of over seven years of intensive thought and investigation.

I write in a colloquial, rather than formal style, and not as a biblical scholar, but as a layman, which I hope adds appeal to the writing. Some of my views are partly based on my own professional experience. What’s revealed may be life changing for some people.

I hope this book will appeal to everyone who enjoys history and informed opinions about the Bible and Christianity.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post