Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
18-05-2013, 11:26 AM
RE: DOC'S BALLISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL
Holy shit... reading this thing is a trip... Bowing DocSkep, you're a fun guy to have around...

... pretty impressed with my intelligence in your post there, if I do say so myself Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Hey doc (JAH cautiously raises his hand) we way up here, yeah I know stoners row, are kind of curious about revelations. Special numbers all over the place, predictions for the future, hell and damnation.

Some of us back here think that revelations may be some crazy stuff added by another stoner. What do you think.
18-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Yes doc, I'm with JAH, please enlighten us on revelations on the stoner parallels to the late 60s/early 70s. Maybe it was predicting the hippie era, you know, with beasts and Babylonian whores instead of love and flower children?

Godless in the Magnolia State
18-05-2013, 12:50 PM
(18-05-2013 11:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  Holy shit... reading this thing is a trip... Bowing DocSkep, you're a fun guy to have around...

... pretty impressed with my intelligence in your post there, if I do say so myself Tongue

Agreed, this is the best discussion ever IMO! It should be required reading for those who think atheists are angry all the time, humorless, lack joy, etc.
18-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Hey Doc, since the Bible is full of gratuitous vile...er violence and sex and seeing as how you are such an expert on such maybe you can explain a few particular favorite passages of mine in Deuteronomy...

Regarding genitals and worship
He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord. Laughat
Deuteronomy 23:1

Regarding servants/slaves
16 But if your servant says to you, “I do not want to leave you,” because he loves you and your family and is well off with you, 17 then take an awl and push it through his earlobe into the door, and he will become your servant for life. Do the same for your female servant. Shocking
Deuteronomy 15:16-17

Regarding war
16 However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Sadcryface
Deuteronomy 20:16

Note: on the occasions you come across cities in nations not given to you then keep the virgins and oxen and kill everything else, no need for waste you know, much more practical and loving.

Regarding sex
23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. Weeping
Deuteronomy 22:23-24

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-05-2013, 09:10 AM
(18-05-2013 11:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  Holy shit... reading this thing is a trip... Bowing DocSkep, you're a fun guy to have around...

Odd. I've been called a fungi elsewhere too.

Morondog and cjs, thanks for the kind words. I find humor useful in coping with my lonely atheist lifestyle. Do you think humor and the ability to not take oneself too seriously predisposed us to become atheists? Did it vaccinate us against the religion meme?

I had a revelation once. An epiphany, if you will. This was near the end of my believing stage. I love science and had read all about evolution. One Sunday, I was watching my pastor preach, when it suddenly occurred to me that he was nothing but a dressed up great ape spouting gibberish. The image it conjured up was so funny that I am sure it began my inevitable descent into apostasy. Now, when I think anyone (the pope, televangelists, believing friends, etc.) is full of him/herself, the image comes unbidden to my mind and I am able to dismiss them without too much difficulty.

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
19-05-2013, 09:20 AM
(19-05-2013 09:10 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  One Sunday, I was watching my pastor preach, when it suddenly occurred to me that he was nothing but a dressed up great ape spouting gibberish.

I've always wondered about the genesis of the term "Primate of all England" Big Grin It seems too appropriate... so much about religion is unintentionally funny...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-05-2013, 11:09 AM
RE: DOC'S BOMBASTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL
Doc, not sure why someone would call you fungi .... I don't think in my case humor predisposed me to become an atheist. It was almost the opposite. Everyone around me was so serious about religion, so I decided to seriously figure out where it stood, what with risking eternal hellfire and all. But humor definitely helps me cope and just makes life better, whatever one's beliefs. Plus I've know some pretty dour religious folks. The preacher/ape thing is hilarious!

You really should write another book, but this time with the sharp wit of this thread. I believe someone suggested it earlier,and I agree. I'm reading your book now, and it's great, but your biting wit is not as much there. Maybe it could be written in question/answer form as many of these posts are. Feel free to use any of my posted questions in it.

What do y'all think? Should Doc write another book with some of this material?

Godless in the Magnolia State
19-05-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: DOC'S BOMBASTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL
(19-05-2013 11:09 AM)cjs Wrote:  Doc, not sure why someone would call you fungi ....

It's from an ooooold joke:

A mushroom walks into a bar. The barman immediately throws him out saying "We don't serve your kind here!" He says "Why not ? I'm a fungi"...
19-05-2013, 12:02 PM
(18-05-2013 01:00 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hey Doc, since the Bible is full of gratuitous vile...er violence and sex and seeing as how you are such an expert on such maybe you can explain a few particular favorite passages of mine in Deuteronomy...

Regarding genitals and worship
He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord. Laughat
Deuteronomy 23:1

Regarding servants/slaves
16 But if your servant says to you, “I do not want to leave you,” because he loves you and your family and is well off with you, 17 then take an awl and push it through his earlobe into the door, and he will become your servant for life. Do the same for your female servant. Shocking
Deuteronomy 15:16-17

Regarding war
16 However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Sadcryface
Deuteronomy 20:16

Note: on the occasions you come across cities in nations not given to you then keep the virgins and oxen and kill everything else, no need for waste you know, much more practical and loving.

Regarding sex
23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. Weeping
Deuteronomy 22:23-24

That last one made me cry too.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post