Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
08-01-2014, 03:08 PM
RE: DOC'S SYNCRETIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (NIRVANA THROUGH JIHAD IN JESUS' NAME, BY ZEUS!)
(08-01-2014 08:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  If only for providing a McGuffin for Fahrenheit 451...

Morondog, please elucidate.

Ignorantly yours,
Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 03:40 PM
RE: DOC'S SYNCRETIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (NIRVANA THROUGH JIHAD IN JESUS' NAME, BY ZEUS!)
IIRC The character in Fahrenheit 451 (by Ray Bradbury) is a Fireman who destroys books with fire in line with government policy. One day he reads a book, zer Bible, specifically Ecclesiastes. Then he becomes a hunted man and joins the resistance movement who like books, but to keep it secret they only memorize them instead of having them in hard copy which is a crime. Somehow our hero has memorized the bits of Ecclesiastes that he read only once...

TBH for a classic of sci-fi I didn't find it that great. Mind you Ray Bradbury was one of the early pioneers... I enjoyed some of his stuff but other of it was just weird. Everyone always goes on about how great it is because it predicted some pretty basic random shit which they mention as blurb on the back cover. So I read the whole damn thing expecting *more* eerily accurate predictions to marvel at, but the ones on the back cover were the only ones. OTOH it took a while for me to appreciate the kinda... apocalyptic story line and deep meaningful lessons ™ for human kind...

Edit: McGuffin is a movie industry term for a plot-device which moves the story along... I might have used the word slightly incorrectly...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-01-2014, 04:48 PM
(08-01-2014 03:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  IIRC The character in Fahrenheit 451 (by Ray Bradbury) is a Fireman who destroys books with fire in line with government policy. One day he reads a book, zer Bible, specifically Ecclesiastes. Then he becomes a hunted man and joins the resistance movement who like books, but to keep it secret they only memorize them instead of having them in hard copy which is a crime. Somehow our hero has memorized the bits of Ecclesiastes that he read only once...

TBH for a classic of sci-fi I didn't find it that great. Mind you Ray Bradbury was one of the early pioneers... I enjoyed some of his stuff but other of it was just weird. Everyone always goes on about how great it is because it predicted some pretty basic random shit which they mention as blurb on the back cover. So I read the whole damn thing expecting *more* eerily accurate predictions to marvel at, but the ones on the back cover were the only ones. OTOH it took a while for me to appreciate the kinda... apocalyptic story line and deep meaningful lessons ™ for human kind...

Edit: McGuffin is a movie industry term for a plot-device which moves the story along... I might have used the word slightly incorrectly...

Gotta brush up on my Bradbury again. Other than the burning of books, I remember nothing else about the plot. IMO, SF peaked with Asimov's Foundation trilogy and some of Clarke's stuff, but that may just be the curmudgeon in me speaking. Oh, A Canticle for Leibowitz also deserves a mention.
Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
08-01-2014, 05:03 PM
(08-01-2014 04:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Gotta brush up on my Bradbury again. Other than the burning of books, I remember nothing else about the plot. IMO, SF peaked with Asimov's Foundation trilogy and some of Clarke's stuff, but that may just be the curmudgeon in me speaking. Oh, A Canticle for Leibowitz also deserves a mention.
Doc

I will second the vote for A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-01-2014, 06:44 PM
(08-01-2014 04:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 03:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  IIRC The character in Fahrenheit 451 (by Ray Bradbury) is a Fireman who destroys books with fire in line with government policy. One day he reads a book, zer Bible, specifically Ecclesiastes. Then he becomes a hunted man and joins the resistance movement who like books, but to keep it secret they only memorize them instead of having them in hard copy which is a crime. Somehow our hero has memorized the bits of Ecclesiastes that he read only once...

Gotta brush up on my Bradbury again. Other than the burning of books, I remember nothing else about the plot. IMO, SF peaked with Asimov's Foundation trilogy and some of Clarke's stuff, but that may just be the curmudgeon in me speaking. Oh, A Canticle for Leibowitz also deserves a mention.
Doc

(08-01-2014 05:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 04:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Gotta brush up on my Bradbury again. Other than the burning of books, I remember nothing else about the plot. IMO, SF peaked with Asimov's Foundation trilogy and some of Clarke's stuff, but that may just be the curmudgeon in me speaking. Oh, A Canticle for Leibowitz also deserves a mention.
Doc

I will second the vote for A Canticle for Leibowitz.

First 4 books in the Dune saga; Dune through God Emperor of Dune is my vote for best sci fi epic ever.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
08-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Well, if we're talking about science fiction now, Stand on Zanzibar and Lord of Light are the two I will perennially shill for.

But those mentioned are good too (and I agree that Fahrenheit 451 is not that great).

... this is my signature!
09-01-2014, 07:31 AM
(08-01-2014 08:39 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Well, if we're talking about science fiction now, Stand on Zanzibar and Lord of Light are the two I will perennially shill for.

But those mentioned are good too (and I agree that Fahrenheit 451 is not that great).

Stand on Zanzibar is in my Top 10, possibly in my Top 3.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-01-2014, 09:50 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 01:13 PM by docskeptic.)
RE: DOC'S NON-ALCOHOLIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WE HAVEN'T HAD SPIRITS HERE SINCE 1969)
Doc: Zzzzz...

Revenant: Doc. Wake up!

Doc: Hmm? Of course, baby. I respect your body and your theological stance. *Snort* What?

Revenant: Wake up. We were talking about God being a terrible chooser. He struck out with Solomon and Jeroboam.

Doc: Statistical anomalies. Those two may have turned out bad, but...

Revenant: But nothing. Let's look at the rest of God's choices:
1. Lucifer, the morning star: Became the devil.
2. Adam and Eve: Sinned and doomed all of mankind.
3. Abraham: Committed incest and adultery. Was uxorious. Told lies. Tried to sacrifice his own son.
4. Jacob: Liar. Polygamist. Wrestled God into submission(!)
5. Moses: Tyrant. Mass murderer. Polygamist.
6. Aaron, the first high priest: Idolator
7. Joshua: Tyrant. Mass murderer.
8. Saul, the first king of Israel: Manic depressive despot. Polygamist.
9. David: All of the above.
10. Solomon: See earlier discussion.
11. Samson: Philanderer. Murderer.
12. ...

Doc: Stop! Stop! Oh, why did you have to wake me up? I was having such a nice dream, too.
09-01-2014, 10:17 AM
(08-01-2014 06:44 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 05:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  I will second the vote for A Canticle for Leibowitz.

First 4 books in the Dune saga; Dune through God Emperor of Dune is my vote for best sci fi epic ever.

Revelation Space motherfuckers. Angel

Oh..

Quote:So I called up the captain,
'please bring me my wine'
He said, 'we haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine'
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

living word
09-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Hey what happened to bible study.

Forget all that old testament stuff. It was made irrelevant by the glorious new testament. I asked before for a study of revelations and all its important predictions. I humbly ask for a detailed study. I particularly am interested in the use of numbers.