Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
04-02-2014, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 10:43 AM by docskeptic.)
RE: DOC'S JINGOISTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (WAGING WAR AGAINST IGNORANCE SINCE 2013)
(04-02-2014 10:09 AM)meremortal Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 08:35 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  That reminds of how Mark Twain said you could build a large house out of the pieces of the cross kept as religious relics.

The need for relics and holy sites by the church (basically looking for proof) always fascinated me for a religion supposedly built on faith not sight.

I've said this before and I will say it again. I can't recommend John Calvin's Treatise on Relics highly enough as a study of human gullibility and for sheer entertainment. It's available as a free download from Apple iBooks or Google Play.

My favorite miracle of all is recorded in the book (I've written about this before, but I can't resist repeating it):
St. Vincent Ferrerius, celebrated for the great number of his miracles, was one day walking along a street in Barcelona, a mason, falling from a high roof, called for his assistance. The saint answered that he could not perform a miracle without the permission of his superior, but that he would go and ask for it. The mason remained, therefore, suspended in the air until St Vincent, returning with the permission, got him safely down on the ground.

Well! How can you argue against such power?

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 02:05 PM by JAH.)
A few years ago I was in Guadalajara and near an old church. Do not remember exactly why but I toured the church on my own. In it was a relic. I do not remember why this was preserved but it was. It was the mummified body of a nun. She was a tiny woman I would suggest maybe only a few inches above 4 ft. (maybe 1.3 meters). The body was in a glass case for all to see. It was at best creepy.

Oh and by the way I have a piece of the true cross. Available on e-bay for 2.5 billion in unmarked bills. On the advice of frankksj I will deposit this money in a Swiss bank. Give me a bit of time to set up the account.
04-02-2014, 02:38 PM
(04-02-2014 01:39 PM)JAH Wrote:  A few years ago I was in Guadalajara and near an old church. Do not remember exactly why but I toured the church on my own. In it was a relic. I do not remember why this was preserved but it was. It was the mummified body of a nun. She was a tiny woman I would suggest maybe only a few inches above 4 ft. (maybe 1.3 meters). The body was in a glass case for all to see. It was at best creepy.

Oh and by the way I have a piece of the true cross. Available on e-bay for 2.5 billion in unmarked bills. On the advice of frankksj I will deposit this money in a Swiss bank. Give me a bit of time to set up the account.

Because unmarked bills totally wouldn't raise an eyebrow Dodgy
Non-sequential bills duh

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
04-02-2014, 02:46 PM
(04-02-2014 01:39 PM)JAH Wrote:  Available on e-bay for 2.5 billion in unmarked bills.

Having failed to specify a currency, you shall receive my bid in Zimbabwean dollars.

I look forward to claiming your relic.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
04-02-2014, 02:56 PM
(04-02-2014 02:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 01:39 PM)JAH Wrote:  Available on e-bay for 2.5 billion in unmarked bills.

Having failed to specify a currency, you shall receive my bid in Zimbabwean dollars.

Laugh out load

Atir aissom atir imon
04-02-2014, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 03:09 PM by JAH.)
cjlr, I will accept that bid. Just let me set up the Swiss account and find the piece of wood to send you. It will look old.
04-02-2014, 03:12 PM
(04-02-2014 03:05 PM)JAH Wrote:  cjlr, I will accept that bid. Just let me set up the Swiss account and find the piece of wood to send you retrieve the holy relic. It will look old.

Sold!

Well, of course it will look old. It's 2000 whole years old!

Yes

04-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Rank amateurs. Piece of the True Cross? Pish! The Holy Virgin's breast milk? Now you're talking!

John Calvin again, "With regard to the milk, there is not perhaps a town, a convent, or nunnery, where it is not shown in large or small quantities. Indeed, had the Virgin been a wet-nurse her whole life, or a dairy, she could not have produced more than is shown as hers in various parts. How they obtained all this milk they do not say..."

How much for some of the True Milk?

Doc
04-02-2014, 03:24 PM
(04-02-2014 02:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Dunno but I think those old notes are gonna start to have rarity and curiosity value pretty soon - there's not many of them around any more...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-02-2014, 03:40 PM
(04-02-2014 03:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 02:46 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Having failed to specify a currency, you shall receive my bid in Zimbabwean dollars.

Dunno but I think those old notes are gonna start to have rarity and curiosity value pretty soon - there's not many of them around any more...

I paid $USD 50 for a stack of them a while back (tipping your friends 10 trillion is totally worth a buck for two). I expect they'd be that much dearer this much later.

Problem is, I can't actually make change for 2.5 billion, as I have only billion+ notes.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post