Doc's mephitic Sunday School (silent but deadly since 2013)

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.22 Average
18-06-2014, 07:28 AM
RE: DOC'S EBONIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (GETTIN' JIGGY WID IT)
(17-06-2014 03:49 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Where has Doc been? Did I miss something? Want to continue my education in his class.

You wouldn't be the only one. If I remember correctly he has his own website, or at least a few books on Amazon I'm sure you can Google.

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Timber and Im-Ryan,
I'm still around. I pop into the forum every now and then to see what's happening. Looks like J. E. Walker is the human pinata du jour.

I've been trying to work my way through the patristic literature and am now reading through Augustine's Harmony of the Gospels. I am impressed by his apologetic work knowing that it dates from the 5th century CE and knowing that he had access to none of the study aids that we have now. The man's memory must have been phenomenal. His arguments must have sounded impressive to contemporary ears but sound weak and contrived to our modern ones.

When I get the chance I may start up the Sunday School again focusing on the Church Fathers, a rich source of satire.

Im-Ryan, I don't have a website and I only have one book published.

Regards,

Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
18-06-2014, 03:10 PM
(18-06-2014 02:58 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Timber and Im-Ryan,
I'm still around. I pop into the forum every now and then to see what's happening. Looks like J. E. Walker is the human pinata du jour.

I've been trying to work my way through the patristic literature and am now reading through Augustine's Harmony of the Gospels. I am impressed by his apologetic work knowing that it dates from the 5th century CE and knowing that he had access to none of the study aids that we have now. The man's memory must have been phenomenal. His arguments must have sounded impressive to contemporary ears but sound weak and contrived to our modern ones.

When I get the chance I may start up the Sunday School again focusing on the Church Fathers, a rich source of satire.

Im-Ryan, I don't have a website and I only have one book published.

Regards,

Doc

Good to know you're still around. Look forward to your return.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
18-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Well WE come to Sunday school whether Doc is here or not. We need to practice our spit-ball throws 'n stuff, ya know.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
25-06-2014, 08:58 AM
RE: DOC'S PROPHYLACTIC SUNDAY SCHOOL (NOW RIBBED FOR YOUR PLEASURE!)
Something for your consideration. I was reading Augustine's Harmony of the gospels when I came across the following beauty (I'd never seen it before):

The feeding of the 5,000 is the only miracle of Jesus that is recorded in all four gospels. In it, Jesus manages to feed a crowd of 5,000 men besides women and children (so, in reality a crowd of 10,000 or more) with 5 loaves and 2 fishes.

Luke says that the miracle occurred in Bethsaida following which Jesus and the disciples cross the lake to Capernaum (this is where Jesus walks on water). Matthew and John imply the same.

Mark does not specify where the miracle happened but says that afterwards, the disciples got in the boat to go to Bethsaida which is when Jesus walks on the water.

So where did the miracle happen? Bethsaida? Capernaum? Somewhere else?

Thoughts?

Doc
25-06-2014, 11:26 AM
(25-06-2014 08:58 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  So where did the miracle happen? Bethsaida? Capernaum? Somewhere else?

Thoughts?

Doc

How about "didn't happen"?Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2014, 11:43 AM
(25-06-2014 11:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 08:58 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  So where did the miracle happen? Bethsaida? Capernaum? Somewhere else?

Thoughts?

Doc

How about "didn't happen"?Drinking Beverage

Succinctly put. However, I was hoping for a Christian response. KC? JEW?
Doc
25-06-2014, 11:45 AM
(25-06-2014 11:43 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 11:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  How about "didn't happen"?Drinking Beverage

Succinctly put. However, I was hoping for a Christian response. KC? JEW?
Doc

Oh, Doc, I just had a moment of almost uncontrollable excitement.

A debate between you and JEW on Biblical consistency.

That might just be one of the most beautiful things I've ever imagined.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
25-06-2014, 11:57 AM
(25-06-2014 11:45 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 11:43 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Succinctly put. However, I was hoping for a Christian response. KC? JEW?
Doc

Oh, Doc, I just had a moment of almost uncontrollable excitement.

A debate between you and JEW on Biblical consistency.

That might just be one of the most beautiful things I've ever imagined.

Did you Squee in your pants? It's ok I kinda did too.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
25-06-2014, 01:20 PM
While I wait for a theistic response, may I also present for your consideration a miracle within a miracle? See, after the feeding of the 5,000 (actually 10,000+), Jesus's disciples get into a boat, leaving Jesus behind on a mountain to pray and they row to either Capernaum or Bethsaida (depending on the gospel writer) across the Sea of Galilee.

Caught in a storm 3 or 4 miles out, the disciples struggle to row the boat ashore. In the middle of the night Jesus comes walking across the lake to them. Scared to death, they first think that he is a ghost but then is convinced by him to let him on board. John 6:19-21 describes it this way: "When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened. But he said to them, “It is I; don’t be afraid.” Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading."

Voila! The first recorded instance of teleportation. Considering that Capernaum is 6 miles from Bethsaida, Jesus instantly transported the mass of the boat, himself and all the disciples approximately 3 miles. Why, oh why did ho not leave us with instructions on how to do likewise?

If I may, I'd like to coin a word. A neologism, if you like. I'd like to call this a miraclino, a miracle within a miracle. Anybody know any others?

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post