Doctor Who - Peter Capaldi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 02:32 PM
RE: Doctor Who - Peter Capaldi
I'm sorry but...

I grew up with Dr. Who (Tom Baker) when that's the best we could get on TV, scfi-wise.

Yet everytime someone mentions Dr. Who, all I can think of is this:

Family Guy - Benefits of Marijuana: http://youtu.be/XHet6oUQXbk

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2014, 02:58 PM
(26-12-2014 01:41 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Loved the Christmas episode!!! Big Grin

though, even though I do like Clara, I was hoping the scenario with her as an old lady was the real ending. I'm not sure how I feel about her being the companion all next season too.

Like, holy shit! That episode was fucking great! A little hammy at first (Didn't real dig the whole Santa bit though), but really really well done.

I am now convinced that the Doctor has feelings for Clara, like legitimate romantic feelings. I have seen it scattered all around season 8, and this episode, especially with the scene you mentioned really sealed the deal for me, and it added a bit of a tragic element to it from my perspective. I would have also liked that ending, would have really really rounded Clara's run on the show well off. But they didn't, so....

Season 9, can't wait to see what 12 has for me next.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
26-12-2014, 09:09 PM
(26-12-2014 01:41 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Loved the Christmas episode!!! Big Grin

though, even though I do like Clara, I was hoping the scenario with her as an old lady was the real ending. I'm not sure how I feel about her being the companion all next season too.

I was hoping he was gonna take old lady Clara time-tripping next season.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Call me a change bitter nostalgic change hater if you will.. but I'm not liking Peter Capaldi so far. I've wavered in and out over the last few years but haven't enjoyed it as much even prior to his arrival. His physical stiffness isn't exactly my jam and his flipping to excitement feels weird when I'm watching him.

Maybe I'll have an -ah hes good to me now moment which I had in Matt Smith's diatribe about Panto-phobia. Even then I still only marginally enjoyed his overall arc.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-12-2014, 09:33 PM
(26-12-2014 09:30 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Call me a change bitter nostalgic change hater if you will.. but I'm not liking Peter Capaldi so far. I've wavered in and out over the last few years but haven't enjoyed it as much even prior to his arrival. His physical stiffness isn't exactly my jam and his flipping to excitement feels weird when I'm watching him.

Maybe I'll have an -ah hes good to me now moment which I had in Matt Smith's diatribe about Panto-phobia. Even then I still only marginally enjoyed his overall arc.

I think I agree, I have my moments where I like him... But watching the doctor who marathon, and seeing David Tennant and Matt smith again felt like coming home Heart

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
27-12-2014, 02:11 AM
(26-12-2014 09:33 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 09:30 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Call me a change bitter nostalgic change hater if you will.. but I'm not liking Peter Capaldi so far. I've wavered in and out over the last few years but haven't enjoyed it as much even prior to his arrival. His physical stiffness isn't exactly my jam and his flipping to excitement feels weird when I'm watching him.

I think I agree, I have my moments where I like him... But watching the doctor who marathon, and seeing David Tennant and Matt smith again felt like coming home Heart

I actually watched a lot of classic Who before I ever touched Matt Smith's run, and I saw the very vast and different direction they took the series in during his run. Capaldi is a 'returning' home for me.

27-12-2014, 02:30 AM
(27-12-2014 02:11 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 09:33 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I think I agree, I have my moments where I like him... But watching the doctor who marathon, and seeing David Tennant and Matt smith again felt like coming home Heart

I actually watched a lot of classic Who before I ever touched Matt Smith's run, and I saw the very vast and different direction they took the series in during his run. Capaldi is a 'returning' home for me.

It's true, I haven't watched the older stuff yet. I really need to do that.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
27-12-2014, 04:18 AM
(27-12-2014 02:30 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 02:11 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I actually watched a lot of classic Who before I ever touched Matt Smith's run, and I saw the very vast and different direction they took the series in during his run. Capaldi is a 'returning' home for me.

It's true, I haven't watched the older stuff yet. I really need to do that.

The stories are great! The effects are well... Dated to say the least.

27-12-2014, 06:23 AM
I think the writers are getting stuck in a rut. There wasn't anything new in the Christmas episode. It was Inception, with telepathic aliens and some kind of scientific outpost in a hostile environment. This whole series hasn't really grabbed me.
27-12-2014, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014 07:01 AM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
Smercury44: Start with Pertwee's stuff. Something that subverts the status quo because a lot of the serials are about reinforcing that. Inferno'd be a good choice. Hit up Wargames before watching any of the Time Lord's episodes.

It'll also help demonstrate the difference between NuWho and Classic Who and that's beneficial.

Christmas special: I've said this before about Doctor Who: Never mock something or disparage it as being impossible when you're dumb enough to do it seriously.

(27-12-2014 02:11 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 09:33 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I think I agree, I have my moments where I like him... But watching the doctor who marathon, and seeing David Tennant and Matt smith again felt like coming home Heart

I started with Classic Who. It was against the rules for me to watch The Simpsons (for reasons I have never understood) so I'd pretend to watch Doctor Who instead and switch between shows when my parents came into the room. Eventually I stopped pretending.

Yes the Doctor has returned too what I've always thought of as his default state: A crotchety old bastard. I don't think that the show's returned to Classic Who's tone or formula or whatever you wanna call it.

It's still got the same creative team. They're still putting together the same type of stories; fairy tales and the value of belief and love and the reciprocal nature of power and shit like that. Classic Who, right up until the arse end of Davidson's tenure was all about rejecting those things.

Yes. Sure the extended universe books are inconsistent on that point and there are obvious exceptions in individual serials but the core show? That's the most constant theme I can think of.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.