Doctor Who - Peter Capaldi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 01:08 PM
RE: Doctor Who - Peter Capaldi
(27-12-2014 06:55 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Smercury44: Start with Pertwee's stuff. Something that subverts the status quo because a lot of the serials are about reinforcing that. Inferno'd be a good choice. Hit up Wargames before watching any of the Time Lord's episodes.

It'll also help demonstrate the difference between NuWho and Classic Who and that's beneficial.

Christmas special: I've said this before about Doctor Who: Never mock something or disparage it as being impossible when you're dumb enough to do it seriously.

(27-12-2014 02:11 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I actually watched a lot of classic Who before I ever touched Matt Smith's run, and I saw the very vast and different direction they took the series in during his run. Capaldi is a 'returning' home for me.

I started with Classic Who. It was against the rules for me to watch The Simpsons (for reasons I have never understood) so I'd pretend to watch Doctor Who instead and switch between shows when my parents came into the room. Eventually I stopped pretending.

Yes the Doctor has returned too what I've always thought of as his default state: A crotchety old bastard. I don't think that the show's returned to Classic Who's tone or formula or whatever you wanna call it.

It's still got the same creative team. They're still putting together the same type of stories; fairy tales and the value of belief and love and the reciprocal nature of power and shit like that. Classic Who, right up until the arse end of Davidson's tenure was all about rejecting those things.

Yes. Sure the extended universe books are inconsistent on that point and there are obvious exceptions in individual serials but the core show? That's the most constant theme I can think of.

You are right in the fact that the newest shit is all about fairy tales.

I personally wish it was way more Sci-fi than the shit Moffat is putting out.

Capaldi is definitely a Classic Doctor, but the stories are not.
I wish they would return to classic Who. I especially loved Baker's run. Davidson's was alright.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
28-12-2014, 03:01 AM
Capaldi's story arcs have had some kind of payoff at the end. I think they are miles better than the Matt Smith stories, which were downright dreadful most of the time. I can't say they are good enough to make me care about where the series is going but I don't dread sitting down with the wife and kids to watch them each week.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
28-12-2014, 11:27 AM
(28-12-2014 03:01 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Capaldi's story arcs have had some kind of payoff at the end. I think they are miles better than the Matt Smith stories, which were downright dreadful most of the time. I can't say they are good enough to make me care about where the series is going but I don't dread sitting down with the wife and kids to watch them each week.

Into Dalek was great. Time Heist was great. All of those were strictly sci-fi.

That Forrest episode was downright shit.

10-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Tried to take your advice, Smerc! Though 2005, Epsiode 1, was clearly labeled "Rosa", my vision was really, really, REALLY blurry Hobo But it worked out cuz I watched episode 2 (?) where they go aboard that platform to watch Earth die. So my first intro to Who was watching their little shuttle headed into the thing while the lady over the PA announces, "We'd like to remind our guests that Platform-1 prohibits the use weapons, teleportation, and religion"!
They had me at "prohibits religion" Blush

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
12-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Pfft! I called that shit way before the Dalek poured outta that sphere! Dodgy

Cybermen: Deletion deletion deletion
Dalek: Exterminate exterminate exterminate

Thought so. Drinking Beverage

12-01-2015, 10:02 PM
(12-01-2015 06:14 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Pfft! I called that shit way before the Dalek poured outta that sphere! Dodgy

You have to tell me what you think about Doctor Who!

12-01-2015, 10:13 PM
(12-01-2015 10:02 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 06:14 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Pfft! I called that shit way before the Dalek poured outta that sphere! Dodgy

You have to tell me what you think about Doctor Who!

I think he's hooked! Big Grin I talked him into starting with the reboot. We may have a new whovian on our hands!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
13-01-2015, 12:21 PM
(12-01-2015 10:13 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 10:02 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  You have to tell me what you think about Doctor Who!

I think he's hooked! Big Grin I talked him into starting with the reboot. We may have a new whovian on our hands!

Before we send him to the classic series (perhaps Genesis of the Daleks or The Enemy of the World) maybe we should mention the missing episodes Sadcryface2

Hate the belief, love the believer.
13-01-2015, 05:42 PM
(12-01-2015 10:13 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 10:02 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  You have to tell me what you think about Doctor Who!

And you, young missy have to tell me what you think of Classic Who.

13-01-2015, 06:16 PM
(13-01-2015 05:42 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(12-01-2015 10:13 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I think he's hooked! Big Grin I talked him into starting with the reboot. We may have a new whovian on our hands!

And you, young missy have to tell me what you think of Classic Who.

I know! I've made note of the episode to watch, and promise promise I will get to it eventually. Right now we are in the middle of binge watching Sherlock and Sons of Anarchy, plus the regular shows we normally watch. As soon as things quiet down a bit with out watching schedules (or when I get a day off work), it'll be first on my list Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta