Doctor Who on Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2011, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 06:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
Doctor Who on Faith
Doctor Who 6.11 - The God Complex

Spacetime travel, The Matrix, The Shining, minotaurs, and a tacit, borderline explicit, condemnation of faith of all sort. Goddam I love this show. And if CERN's recent observation of a neutrino travelling faster than the speed of light can be reproduced by Fermilab, a tear in the fabric of spacetime has been observed and Doctor Who moves from the Science Fiction genre to something completely different. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-09-2011, 06:56 PM
RE: Doctor Who on Faith
And for anyone who hasn't heard about this crazy breaking of light speed go here website

I dislike CERN, but that's just me. It would be interesting to have it not just be an error in measurement. I guess we'll find out. If it is possible it changes tons of stuff.

It also brings up the main issue I typically have with scientist types, which is one of the same problems I have with theists. Close minded. Skepticism can only go so far and is often confused with being close minded, by skeptics themselves. Every time we think we know something, we find out that we didn't actually understand it at all.

Anyhow, sorry Doc. I've never actually watched an episode of Doctor Who. Probably never will but who knows.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-09-2011, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2011 10:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(22-09-2011 06:56 PM)lucradis Wrote:  It would be interesting to have it not just be an error in measurement. I guess we'll find out.

CERN doesn't believe it either. But they've spent months trying to find the flaw. They've given up and have asked Fermilab and Japan to both check their experimental design and analysis shit and if they too can't find anything wrong then try to reproduce the results.

(22-09-2011 06:56 PM)lucradis Wrote:  If it is possible it changes tons of stuff.

Ya think. It's like ripping out a cornerstone, if not the entire foundation, of a building kinda change. ....It's a tear in the fabric of spacetime.

(22-09-2011 06:56 PM)lucradis Wrote:  It also brings up the main issue I typically have with scientist types, which is one of the same problems I have with theists. Close minded.

Science expects to change its mind based on new evidence as our observation and measurement capabilities increase, religion is never ready to change its mind regardless of evidence. That's the difference.

(22-09-2011 06:56 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Every time we think we know something, we find out that we didn't actually understand it at all.

And that is the nature of science in a nutshell.

(22-09-2011 06:56 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Anyhow, sorry Doc. I've never actually watched an episode of Doctor Who. Probably never will but who knows.

Meh ... your loss.

27-09-2011, 09:45 AM
One of my favorite episodes...pretty much ever.

Rory's door had me cheering. Big Grin

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
27-09-2011, 02:30 PM
(27-09-2011 09:45 AM)zaika Wrote:  One of my favorite episodes...pretty much ever.

What was behind Rory's door? I can't remember.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
27-09-2011, 03:43 PM
(27-09-2011 02:30 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(27-09-2011 09:45 AM)zaika Wrote:  One of my favorite episodes...pretty much ever.

What was behind Rory's door? I can't remember.

Nothing! It was the exit door out of the hotel. Smile

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
27-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Anyone ever see the mini series lost room? If so is doctor who anything like it? If it is I may have to watch some doctor who.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-09-2011, 06:25 AM
(27-09-2011 03:43 PM)zaika Wrote:  Nothing! It was the exit door out of the hotel. Smile

Ah yeah I remember now.

So does anyone have any theory's about the doctors death thing that this series has been building up to?

29-09-2011, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2011 06:14 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-09-2011 04:36 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Anyone ever see the mini series lost room? If so is doctor who anything like it? If it is I may have to watch some doctor who.

No, but now I guess I have to check that out. Your post did remind me that I forgot to include Sartre's No Exit in my first post alongside The Shining and The Matrix.

(28-09-2011 06:25 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  So does anyone have any theory's about the doctors death thing that this series has been building up to?

The writers want me to think it has something to do with The Silence being royally pissed off and River Song being in that spacesuit, so if they're any damn good at their job it will be neither of those. Wink

29-09-2011, 06:39 PM
(29-09-2011 06:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The writers want me to think it has something to do with The Silence being royally pissed off and River Song being in that spacesuit, so if they're any damn good at their job it will be neither of those. Wink

There are two things i can think of as being possibilities.
The Doctor is killed but regenerates due to still having some of the regeneration energy given to him by river in the "lets kill hitler episode" still being in him(bit of an anticlimax to the series)
or that the Doctor you see getting killed is actually a ganger and is killed in his place to get the silence and everyone else off the real Doctor's back.