Muslim 100.00% 9 100.00%
Total 9 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Doctor choice?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Doctor choice?
You are in urgent need of complex heart surgery.
You have the choice of three surgeons.
An atheist and a Christian both of whom are brilliant.
Also a Muslim, who is even more highly acclaimed.
Who do you choose.

Say why if you like...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2014, 03:55 PM
RE: Doctor choice?
(16-10-2014 03:50 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  You are in urgent need of complex heart surgery.
Who do you choose.

Say why if you like...

Well given that if they allowed their personal belief to affect their job performance it would have been mentioned, I see no real difference between them, so would take any of the three.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-10-2014, 04:07 PM
(16-10-2014 03:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 03:50 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  You are in urgent need of complex heart surgery.
Who do you choose.

Say why if you like...

Well given that if they allowed their personal belief to affect their job performance it would have been mentioned, I see no real difference between them, so would take any of the three.
Why not the more highly acclaimed?
Their personal approach to their religion/atheism is seen to be just orthodox.....
16-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I would go with the Muslim. If he truly is the best, he must not be letting his ideology interfere with his work. I want the best if someone is going to be messing around in my chest cavity.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
16-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I can only take the mentions of "brilliant" or "acclaimed" to refer to their brilliance and acclamation as surgeons. As such they'd presumably all do a good job.

I do not see where faith has any particular impact on the matter.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
16-10-2014, 04:20 PM
(16-10-2014 04:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 03:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well given that if they allowed their personal belief to affect their job performance it would have been mentioned, I see no real difference between them, so would take any of the three.
Why not the more highly acclaimed?
Their personal approach to their religion/atheism is seen to be just orthodox.....

A "brilliant" surgeon may be better than a "highly acclaimed" one just not as famous. If you meant the Muslim was a better surgeon than the others then yes I would take the Muslim.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Yes I have to admit to being confused as to the point of this. You choose the best surgeon you can. If you go for the Muslim surgeon because he is the most highly acclaimed then you are trusting the opinion of experts over your own and he's more likely to be the most talented surgeon. It does not matter if he is Muslim, Christian or atheist.

At least I would be expecting that he wouldn't be cutting off mid-operation to pray. Heart surgery takes a long time and Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day!
16-10-2014, 04:29 PM
You may all formally vote, if you wish... oops sorry I think you didBlush
16-10-2014, 04:38 PM
(16-10-2014 04:20 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Yes I have to admit to being confused as to the point of this. You choose the best surgeon you can. If you go for the Muslim surgeon because he is the most highly acclaimed then you are trusting the opinion of experts over your own and he's more likely to be the most talented surgeon. It does not matter if he is Muslim, Christian or atheist.

At least I would be expecting that he wouldn't be cutting off mid-operation to pray. Heart surgery takes a long time and Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times a day!

Interesting... Consider what if he just made sure you were positioned in the surgery bay so that while he was working he was facing Mecca. Silent prayers at the appropriate time while continuing surgery. His stats as the best still stand. You good with it still?

I gotta admit.... That might make me uncomfortable, and possibly cause me to second guess him. Confused

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
16-10-2014, 04:44 PM
(16-10-2014 04:38 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Interesting... Consider what if he just made sure you were positioned in the surgery bay so that while he was working he was facing Mecca. Silent prayers at the appropriate time while continuing surgery. His stats as the best still stand. You good with it still?

I gotta admit.... That might make me uncomfortable, and possibly cause me to second guess him. Confused

The body would have to be placed on the floor so he could get on his knees to pray. Then there's the risk of infection ...