Documentary! Because ... well, just because. And they make you think.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2016, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 02:54 PM by kim.)
Documentary! Because ... well, just because. And they make you think.
So, I was looking to relax... maybe watch something informative. I do love a good documentary. Shy

While checking out the newer documentary films coming out, I came across Michael Moore's latest contribution, Where To Invade Next. I can't wait to see it...

It will be out Feb. 12th - 3 days after the New Hampshire primaries. Wink It looks like a hoot.

I thought about some of the other docs he and others have made. Documentary film isn't just relevant to current events but profoundly documents history for posterity. It gives us a glimpse of what we know and maybe what we already know and when we knew it.

Knowledge is always waiting to be rediscovered.

Recently, on Marc Maron's podcast, WTF!, Michael told how he got started in life and films. His first toe in the water was as an interviewer for two friends of his, Kevin Rafferty & James Ridgeway, who we're making a film about neo-nazis. They were a bit fearful to appear on camera so, they asked Michael, who had already interviewed several nazis for his radio program and news articles. Our first glimpse of Michael can be seen (for just a few seconds) in their film, Blood In The Face, from 1991.

I actually own a copy but hadn't watched it in years. So before I see Michael's New film, I thought I'd check out what would become his springboard into the documentary genre.
So, I did. Just now.
And now I'm sufficiently pissed off... in a positive way. Shy

If you've never seen it, it's certain to piss you off, too. Thumbsup

Current event: The nazi fuck who was recently sentenced to death for murder here in Kansas, has a bit of time to spew hatred in this film. Talk about a "where are they now?" moment!

So, got any favorite documentaries to share? Any you've been wanting to see? Any that pissed you off, scared you, or simply made you think? Shy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2016, 03:06 PM
RE: Documentary! Because ... well, just because. And they make you think.
http://www.thecorporation.com/film/about-film

I like this one. It takes a psychological approach to critiquing corporate personhood.
[+] 3 users Like I Am's post
03-03-2016, 05:00 AM
Hungry For Change is one of the only doccies to ever have a profound effect on me. If you're interested in nutrition have at it :-)

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
[+] 1 user Likes Krypttonigt's post
03-03-2016, 07:19 AM
If it is an American dodo it is not worth watching. I avoid them like the plague, They are made for the consumption of idiots.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-03-2016, 01:26 PM
(02-02-2016 03:06 PM)I Am Wrote:  http://www.thecorporation.com/film/about-film

I like this one. It takes a psychological approach to critiquing corporate personhood.
I can recommend that one as well, it's fantastic. Another good one I saw a few years back is a documentary about the famous Dover Panda Trial in which proponents of Intelligent Design tried to defend their 'right' to teach their pseudoscience in public schools. The documentary is called Intelligent Design on Trial and can be (legally) watched for free here:

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
04-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Technically I was kinda looking for one of those science/history channel thread here, but to point it out here makes sense instead. The channel that had been History 2/H2 and even before that like 4-5 years back History International, has now become a station called Viceland that is a documentary based programming channel. Showing older documentaries and I suppose new documentary style shows. So if you're someone who had H2, you now have this channel.

I don't know what the content will provide of itself but it has been as of the first few days showing some Werner Herzog documentaries from that 80s that are interesting.

For just another full movie doc I could recommend, off the top of my head the one that's easy to always recall as it leaves an impression one can hardly not recall when just about the world these days. That's Helvetica.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-03-2016, 07:00 PM
I recently watched Finding Vivian Maier on Netflix, it was very interesting and I saw Finders Keepers on Comcast On Demand, I actually liked that one a bit better but both are interesting because it's peeking into the lives of everyday people who ended up in extraordinary circumstances.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
16-04-2016, 06:35 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
16-04-2016, 06:40 PM
(04-03-2016 07:46 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

WTF?? that sounds boring as hell. How did they make a full documentary out of a font? Laugh out load

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?