Does Absolute Truth exist or not?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2013, 05:52 PM
RE: Does Absolute Truth exist or not?
(25-09-2013 05:45 PM)Mike Wrote:  
(25-09-2013 03:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This creates an artificial box, with an "either/or" syllogism, which is invalid.
"Absolute truth" without a reference (point) is meaningless,
It's always a comparison to something "else", or incomplete.
Both the "else", and the need for the reference to the "other" would say the question is devoid of meaningful content.
You can maybe have an "absolute", but you can't qualify it, AND say it's only just truth.

This is the problem that the theists have. When they hear we say something like, "there are not even single evidence for the existence of God/god, thus God/god aren't exist", then they quickly resort to respond like this "what you've asserted is an absolute truth, then you're contradicting yourself thus actually absolute truth exist, and you can't disprove it".

But even then, "absolute" is just a concept. But idk about the truth. Perhaps, it is also just a concept?

Science asserts a definite, tentative maybe. Probably.

We use pencils, not indelible ink. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
25-09-2013, 05:58 PM
(25-09-2013 08:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  As absols said...

or the short version:
[Image: yes.jpg]
and yet...
[Image: NO.jpg]
But he said it better

Yeah, huh? What's up with absols?

Or, even shorter answer; yes. Until you try and explain it. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Well, let's just say it's rather complicated.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
25-09-2013, 10:14 PM

Someone said on debate.org "Absolute truth must exist because the negation of the claim is self refuting. Suppose I say, “Absolute truth does not exist.” The statement itself is either absolutely true, or it is not absolutely true. If it’s absolutely true, then it must be false (it contradicts itself). If the statement is not absolutely true, then it must have an exception. If it has an exception, then that exception is absolutely true. Besides that, I can name some absolute truths. It’s absolutely true that contradictory claims cannot be true at the same time and in the same sense. It’s absolutely true that circles are round. It’s absolutely true that the sum of the angles of any euclidean triangle is 180 degrees. Etc."

How to disprove absolute truth without contradicting it?
Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm still figuring out a coherent way to say this .. but I'll try again ..
"Absolute truth" (which I tried to say above) is measured "against a standard".
The fact that the standard is external, (and must exist a priori) to the thing measured, is the part that's refuting. Maybe that's infinite regression, but I think not. An "absolute good" has to be measured *against* a standard, (of good vs not good). The "good vs not good", (the standard against which it is measured) ALREADY exists, in reality, if the absolute is measured against the standard. How can the absolute be measured against a standard, unless the standard is the absolute, etc etc. (It's the same thing as "existence vs non-existence). If a deity exists, then it DOESN'T *NOT exist*. Reality is the totality of both. That means the deity could not be the origin of non-existence.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

26-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Does any human believe in absolute truth? NO

We all believe that slavery is wrong......EXCEPT when it comes to mining for materials in our computers circuit boards. We all believe killing is wrong....EXCEPT when killing was done to give us the lifestyle we enjoy in the west.

Saying that absolute truths exist and acting like they exist are two completely different things.

Absolute truths as in the findings of science are not absolute either, and no scientist would ever say such a thing either. All scientists know that our knowledge of things always changes as we progress as a species AND things change on the earth to species as well. So no, just because something was true 1000 years ago doesn't mean it's true today.
26-09-2013, 04:20 AM
(26-09-2013 01:55 AM)I and I Wrote:  Does any human believe in absolute truth? NO

I absolutely believe you're a poopyhead. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
26-09-2013, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2013 06:07 AM by absols.)
exactly, that insistence to mean absolute truth to believe it, which suggest believing itself present superiority always, is the assertion of being shit, and why there cant b anything

and why the most shit become god the mister faith living belief of his presence superiority, doing things almost as real from reversing reality, the copier talent so they say art is the base of will, just to not say he is copying cheaply while evilely since reversing true values realities that are present rights forcing it to suffocate

proving how there gonna b two separated life, truth is realities means, that is why we dont agree on any word

when clearly they can contradict infinite superiorty in facts of their presence and present constant reality, how could they be true too, without any sense of being same of themselves ways joining reality
i tell u how??? jesus christ the answer the key of life halleluia for every shit

he is gonna force himself in womb and with the power of all gods decision to make it for a time long, he is gonna give the answer to every shit so everyone how to play it in the womb for long time too , ripping poor women bodies but who cares god would create fake ones, as there is only one virgin actually to force playing the womb ripps

but actually, it is shown they dont mean that at all they cant they know it, so they invent there smthg for real enthousiastic drive they need

so what is invented, is jesus in space king of all kings super spider of his net base, wat cheap base for space invasions
but they are believing their stories that they already made all spaces life, while that shit is masturbating when two idiots discuss the science of bots advanced creations in the light of last experiments with the dna code of course, of course who need more then hollywood pictures when he is just one shit alone happy enthousiast
26-09-2013, 07:51 AM

(26-09-2013 05:45 AM)absols Wrote:  exactly, that insistence to mean absolute truth to believe it, which suggest believing itself present superiority always, is the assertion of being shit, and why there cant b anything

and why the most shit become god the mister faith living belief of his presence superiority, doing things almost as real from reversing reality, the copier talent so they say art is the base of will, just to not say he is copying cheaply while evilely since reversing true values realities that are present rights forcing it to suffocate

proving how there gonna b two separated life, truth is realities means, that is why we dont agree on any word

when clearly they can contradict infinite superiorty in facts of their presence and present constant reality, how could they be true too, without any sense of being same of themselves ways joining reality
i tell u how??? jesus christ the answer the key of life halleluia for every shit

he is gonna force himself in womb and with the power of all gods decision to make it for a time long, he is gonna give the answer to every shit so everyone how to play it in the womb for long time too , ripping poor women bodies but who cares god would create fake ones, as there is only one virgin actually to force playing the womb ripps

but actually, it is shown they dont mean that at all they cant they know it, so they invent there smthg for real enthousiastic drive they need

so what is invented, is jesus in space king of all kings super spider of his net base, wat cheap base for space invasions
but they are believing their stories that they already made all spaces life, while that shit is masturbating when two idiots discuss the science of bots advanced creations in the light of last experiments with the dna code of course, of course who need more then hollywood pictures when he is just one shit alone happy enthousiast

[Image: blake-funny.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2013, 07:59 AM
(25-09-2013 06:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well, let's just say it's rather complicated.

Nah! Too late at night to start reading something where I have to go to a dictionary for something in the very first sentence.