Does Anyone Believe in Noah's Ark?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 02:03 AM

RE: Does Anyone Believe in Noah's Ark?
(19-06-2013 01:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  LOL.
(he admittedly has no actual education in anything, either Biblical or scientific)
Amazing how desperate these delusional people are to take literally ancient myths from a culture which had no word for "history", and no concept of "accurate",
and (obviously) no knowledge of the types of ancient Near Eastern literature

The Hebrew tohledhohth is rendered "generations," "genealogy," "descendants," "families," "history (Genesis 2:4; 5:1; 6:9)
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 02:29 AM
So... coral just spontaneously adapted to freshwater for somewhere between 40 to 150 days then snapped back. Impressive, and a good thing, otherwise you'd see a huge collapse of ocean biodiversity.

But, then that's just the unreliable science talking. Y'know, the one that got us to the moon set a spacecraft to the edge of our solar system, made medical breakthroughs that have saved countless lives, and allows stupid conversations like this one.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like KeenIdiot's post
19-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Things that never happened nor never could happen physically can't be discussed logically or rationally.

End of Story

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
19-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Since Dubious Glee insists on remaining obtuse here is a small part of the conclusion in the hyperlinked The Impossible Voyage of Noah's Ark

"In fact, these sixty-eight verses of Scripture, when interpreted literally, are crammed with more miracles than any comparable piece of literature anywhere on earth, miracles that are often pointlessly complicated and unedifying. -Building one large ship of wood rather than many small ones, landing it on a volcano instead of a plain, preserving all five varieties of venereal disease while permitting thousands of species to become extinct—these examples plus more add up to a thoroughly senseless level of supernaturalism. If there was ever a situation in which Hume's distinction between the credibility of miracles and the credibility of miracle-tellers applies, this is it."

If nothing else the exercise of re-reading (for those of us who are literate) some of the fantastic claims and their debunking was fun for me. Also, listening to an apologist attempt to justify their claim underlines for me how important it is for us to always challange the proselytizers and fundamentalists no matter how entertaining or frustrating the exercise might be.

Next in line please...

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-06-2013, 07:09 AM
(19-06-2013 06:54 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Since Dubious Glee insists on remaining obtuse here is a small part of the conclusion in the hyperlinked The Impossible Voyage of Noah's Ark

"In fact, these sixty-eight verses of Scripture, when interpreted literally, are crammed with more miracles than any comparable piece of literature anywhere on earth, miracles that are often pointlessly complicated and unedifying. -Building one large ship of wood rather than many small ones, landing it on a volcano instead of a plain, preserving all five varieties of venereal disease while permitting thousands of species to become extinct—these examples plus more add up to a thoroughly senseless level of supernaturalism. If there was ever a situation in which Hume's distinction between the credibility of miracles and the credibility of miracle-tellers applies, this is it."

If nothing else the exercise of re-reading (for those of us who are literate) some of the fantastic claims and their debunking was fun for me. Also, listening to an apologist attempt to justify their claim underlines for me how important it is for us to always challenge the proselytizers and fundamentalists no matter how entertaining or frustrating the exercise might be.

Next in line please...

My favourite part is the inevitable recourse to 'kinds' (which is also an implicit recognition of evolution, given that it usually falls around the family or order level). Which, sure, is more possible, in the same sense that throwing a baseball into orbit is more possible than throwing it to Jupiter. Since these people are utterly scientifically illiterate (and would be considered so in Linnaeus's day, let alone Darwin's - ours, forget about it) they usually define 'kind' as 'stuff I think kind of looks the same'.

It's almost funny, but then you realize that it means some thinking human being out there is using their intellect, passion and dedication, not to some useful purpose or good, but to twist themselves through ever more contorted thought processes, in abject denial of the immense beauty and complexity of the entire world all around them, all in order to justify some demented and malicious fairy tale thought up by ignorant nobodies now millennia dead.
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
19-06-2013, 12:48 PM
This guy makes me laugh
19-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Actually this was the reason I stopped believing in christanity, well, the first SIGN that it was BS.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
19-06-2013, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2013 06:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-06-2013 02:03 AM)David Lee Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 01:37 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  LOL.
(he admittedly has no actual education in anything, either Biblical or scientific)
Amazing how desperate these delusional people are to take literally ancient myths from a culture which had no word for "history", and no concept of "accurate",
and (obviously) no knowledge of the types of ancient Near Eastern literature

The Hebrew tohledhohth is rendered "generations," "genealogy," "descendants," "families," "history (Genesis 2:4; 5:1; 6:9)

Exactly.
Not "accurate recounting of facts and context".
Thanks for proving my point.

BTW, since the J tradition was woven with the P tradition, there are actually two flood stories, (which you would know if you ever actually went to school).
Genesis 6:19-20 : two of every kind ... "two of each"
contradicted by Genesis 7:2 7 PAIRS of clean animals, 2 of the unclean.
The assertion in the debate thread proves he never even read it.

"Okay, then. I'm finished with this "debate." To respond to me by throwing links and videos at me is an insult and an obvious indication of your incompetence."
LMAO
Yet another debate lost by TheConflictedGayTheist when someone presents real facts and evidence. All that crap about the Essenes, and NOT A SHRED of corroboration or supporting evidence. He wasn't kidding when he said "I don't have to do anything".
He can't.
What a joke he is.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Noah's Arc is such a lie. How stupid! Who can believe that the earth was once covered by water. Fools!!
19-06-2013, 09:36 PM
The video of my first talk on my book, Manifest Insanity, is finally available.

I talk about Noah's Ark and the Epic of Gilgamesh near the beginning.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user