Does Anyone Believe in Noah's Ark?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2013, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2013 05:01 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Does Anyone Believe in Noah's Ark?
(18-06-2013 04:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 04:39 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  BTW, if I had a negative six rep, multiple accounts, walked out on multiple "debates" when I was obviously loosing, known as generally insane and proven it, I would say "oh, I can't remember my password" too. Weeping

1 Why are you so hung up on the rep thingy?

2 Who are you talking about?

1. Making a new account is an obvious strategy to evade one's prior history here.
2. The-Conflicted-Neurotic-Gay-Theist, (aka The Theist).

BTW, there are TWO flood stories, and they conflict. Providing yet more evidence for the combo job called the Documentary Hypothesis.
http://www.awitness.org/contrabib/torah/flood.html
The two traditions were assembled by the editor/Redactor during the Exile.
The Torah of Moses (the "Pentateuch") was unknown in human history, until Ezra brought it back with him from the Exile.
There is no way someone called "Moses" wrote it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2013, 05:05 AM
(18-06-2013 04:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 04:47 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  1 Why are you so hung up on the rep thingy?

2 Who are you talking about?

1. Making a new account is an obvious strategy to evade one's prior history here.
2. The-Conflicted-Neurotic-Gay-Theist, (aka The Theist).

BTW, there are TWO flood stories, and they conflict. Providing yet more evidence for the combo job called the Documentary Hypothesis.
http://www.awitness.org/contrabib/torah/flood.html
The two traditions were assembled by the editor/Redactor during the Exile.
The Torah of Moses (the "Pentateuch") was unknown in human history, until Ezra brought it back with him from the Exile.
There is no way someone called "Moses" wrote it.

Oh, snap! The Theist was a David... Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2013, 05:12 AM
You may as well take any unbelievable, impossible tale and ask why you don't believe it.

Why don't I believe a fictional tale about a WORLD WIDE FLOOD and someone with the only working ship who herded only two of every living animal from around the world to put aboard his ship ?

Answer : Because it's fiction. I have this uncanny ability to discern fact from fantasy.

"The way I heard it, you can't find Noah's ship on the earth is because the flood raised him high enough to land on the moon. It was there he and all the animals had to abandon ship and then build a new ship made from moon rocks. This alternatively explains why you find some moon rocks every so often on earth. They are proof of Noah's trip to the moon."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
18-06-2013, 05:28 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2013 05:49 AM by Anjele.)
(18-06-2013 01:19 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(17-06-2013 06:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Uh, no. Never did, even as a child.

Do you remember your thoughts as a child when you heard the story? I would love to hear your perspective.

What about the story made you doubt it even then?

To me, the Bible stories were no different than Aesop's fables except for adding in the god character. And the Bible stories had more death.

edit to add...I was shocked when I found out some people believed the stories were real, I didn't ever consider them anything but fiction.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-06-2013, 07:23 AM

(17-06-2013 08:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Dude, go to post #3 on this thread, read the paper hyperlinked, take a few moments to watch the short video. Once that is done please provide a coherent refute of the math and the science so we can discuss it in more depth (pun intended). Or is this going to devolve into "God said it, it's in the Bible, I believe it, the end"? Drinking Beverage

Your argument is to point me to a hyperlink? You want me to do all the work for you? If you have nothing to say then say nothing is my advise to you, or else get off your lazy ass and present an argument.
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2013, 07:27 AM

(17-06-2013 09:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-06-2013 09:11 PM)David Lee Wrote:  Not exactly. I try to differentiate between the two without the emotional attachment.

Then science is the answer.

Science is a guess. Speculation, conjecture.
18-06-2013, 07:27 AM
(18-06-2013 01:19 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(17-06-2013 06:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Uh, no. Never did, even as a child.

Do you remember your thoughts as a child when you heard the story? I would love to hear your perspective.

I've probably been using this comparison too much lately, but for me it's like asking the question, "What about the story of Pinocchio made you doubt it even then?"

That's really the best I can explain it myself personally. I needed a reason to believe it, not doubt it. My family stopped going to church at around age 6 or 7, so though I knew it was supposed to be true I was still too young to have internalize it yet. Then when out of the church no one in my family ever talked about religion ever again, so for me, as a child, it really was all more like a story no more based in reality than any other children's story I have heard. No different than Pinocchio, to use my example. I still knew we were supposed to believe it to be true, but I wasn't passed the Sunday school exposure of it yet.

Basically I was told about it, but never indoctrinated with it, and indoctrination makes all the difference.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
18-06-2013, 07:36 AM
(18-06-2013 07:27 AM)David Lee Wrote:  
(17-06-2013 09:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Then science is the answer.

Science is a guess. Speculation, conjecture.

Is it "a guess" that you posted, and I responded? Knucklehead. Dodgy

(18-06-2013 07:27 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 01:19 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Do you remember your thoughts as a child when you heard the story? I would love to hear your perspective.

I've probably been using this comparison too much lately, but for me it's like asking the question, "What about the story of Pinocchio made you doubt it even then?"

That's really the best I can explain it myself personally. I needed a reason to believe it, not doubt it. My family stopped going to church at around age 6 or 7, so though I knew it was supposed to be true I was still too young to have internalize it yet. Then when out of the church no one in my family ever talked about religion ever again, so for me, as a child, it really was all more like a story no more based in reality than any other children's story I have heard. No different than Pinocchio, to use my example. I still knew we were supposed to believe it to be true, but I wasn't passed the Sunday school exposure of it yet.

Basically I was told about it, but never indoctrinated with it, and indoctrination makes all the difference.

I remember being like seven; all these people talking about God and Jesus and shit, and I scored a copy of the Bible and skimmed it... and was like-

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!! lolz.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-06-2013, 07:38 AM

(17-06-2013 09:32 PM)Bjorn Wrote:  Because every animal species on the planet was within walking distance of an old coots house and he had enough family members to feed the millions of animals and shovel their crap out of a single window... Makes total sense...

I seem to recall something about Pangaea in the science books I was forced to read as a child. It took about 50 years to build the arc.
18-06-2013, 07:40 AM

(17-06-2013 09:30 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  There was a History Channel special I watch (7 or 8 years ago when it's credibility was far less suspect) where they did a little bit about how the real Noah was supposedly a merchant king en route across the sea to repay debt/trade in the form of beer, goats, gain and other trade goods who was caught in a terrible storm, lost at sea for weeks and survived on the goods he meant to trade and who ultimately lived to tell the rather interesting tail and that the rest is just embellishment/mythos.

...Seems plausible to me. Certainly there was no world encompassing flood, or 2 of every animal or anything like that.

The stories are incompatible. An historical or quasi scientific attempt to make sense out of a literal account by changing the account is unacceptable.