Does Anyone Believe in Noah's Ark?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2013, 07:41 AM
RE: Does Anyone Believe in Noah's Ark?
(18-06-2013 07:23 AM)David Lee Wrote:  
(17-06-2013 08:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Dude, go to post #3 on this thread, read the paper hyperlinked, take a few moments to watch the short video. Once that is done please provide a coherent refute of the math and the science so we can discuss it in more depth (pun intended). Or is this going to devolve into "God said it, it's in the Bible, I believe it, the end"? Drinking Beverage

Your argument is to point me to a hyperlink? You want me to do all the work for you? If you have nothing to say then say nothing is my advise to you, or else get off your lazy ass and present an argument.

You have a story for which there is no evidence. The burden of proof is on you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
18-06-2013, 07:44 AM
(18-06-2013 07:27 AM)David Lee Wrote:  
(17-06-2013 09:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Then science is the answer.

Science is a guess. Speculation, conjecture.

No, science is supported by evidence, repeatability, and predictive power.

You've got nothing except unsupported stories.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-06-2013, 07:47 AM
(18-06-2013 07:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 07:23 AM)David Lee Wrote:  Your argument is to point me to a hyperlink? You want me to do all the work for you? If you have nothing to say then say nothing is my advise to you, or else get off your lazy ass and present an argument.

You have a story for which there is no evidence. The burden of proof is on you.

He haz a troll. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
18-06-2013, 07:52 AM

(17-06-2013 09:37 PM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Sorry to burst your bubble, David, but I believe it is you that has been spoon fed. The Epic of Gilgamesh is dated to the second millennium BCE; while the Pentateuch is dated to the first millennium. Perhaps you should take care which propaganda you are swallowing.

Experts date the epic to have been written between the 21st and the 18th centuries B.C.E., it has been handed down only fragmentarily since about 1900 B.C.E. The flood account was written in 1513 B.C.E. In fact, the epic of Gilgamesh is based mainly on a cuneiform text from the library of Ashurbanipal who reigned 668 - 627 B.C.E. in ancient Nineveh.
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2013, 07:55 AM

(18-06-2013 12:45 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Forgive the late posting, I have a busy life outside of the forum.

When you say, you believe it was a historical event, do you mean you believe it took place exactly as written in the bible? Do you mean that you merely believe that some kind of flooding occurred perhaps for natural reasons?

Exactly as written in the Bible.
Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2013, 07:58 AM
No, no one believes in Noah's Ark - it's all complete cock.

It's a story from an old book of folk tails; where you been? Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-06-2013, 08:10 AM
(18-06-2013 07:40 AM)David Lee Wrote:  
(17-06-2013 09:30 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  There was a History Channel special I watch (7 or 8 years ago when it's credibility was far less suspect) where they did a little bit about how the real Noah was supposedly a merchant king en route across the sea to repay debt/trade in the form of beer, goats, gain and other trade goods who was caught in a terrible storm, lost at sea for weeks and survived on the goods he meant to trade and who ultimately lived to tell the rather interesting tail and that the rest is just embellishment/mythos.

...Seems plausible to me. Certainly there was no world encompassing flood, or 2 of every animal or anything like that.

The stories are incompatible. An historical or quasi scientific attempt to make sense out of a literal account by changing the account is unacceptable.

A litteral account? What are you talking about dude, half of the things described in the biblical account are physically impossible even with modern technology there is nothing literal about the text.

I'm simply speculating on the myths origins, and my speculation (or rather the history channel's) is labeled as such.

18-06-2013, 08:40 AM
(18-06-2013 07:55 AM)David Lee Wrote:  
(18-06-2013 12:45 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Forgive the late posting, I have a busy life outside of the forum.

When you say, you believe it was a historical event, do you mean you believe it took place exactly as written in the bible? Do you mean that you merely believe that some kind of flooding occurred perhaps for natural reasons?

Exactly as written in the Bible.

Which part do you believe exactly as is written in the bible? The part where the bible says the flood lasted 40 days and nights, or the part where the bible says the flood lasted 150 days and nights? The part where the bible says to take 2 of each animal “unclean” and “clean” into the ark, or the part where the bible says to take 2 of each “unclean” and 7 of each “clean” animal?

Even trying to take the bible exactly as written, even with ignoring the reality of reality you can't believe exactly what to bible says and believe the other thing that the bible says differently, exactly as it says at the same time.

It's believing that 2+2=5 and 2+2=19 at the exact same time. I personally accept that 2+2=4...because that is basced in reality.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
18-06-2013, 08:41 AM
Sure it's a literal account. Literally an account of psychopaths and idiots. Tongue

(18-06-2013 08:40 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I personally accept that 2+2=4...because that is based in reality.

No. It is axiomatic. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-06-2013, 08:46 AM
(18-06-2013 07:58 AM)kim Wrote:  No, no one believes in Noah's Ark - it's all complete cock.

It's a story from an old book of folk tails; where you been? Drinking Beverage

Kimmie...did you mean crock? Laughat

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post