Does Atheism give no hope ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2016, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2016 12:19 AM by DLJ.)
Does Atheism give no hope ?
A while ago i had a conversation with a theist who said the following

Quote:the biggiest problem with atheism is it can't give you hope it's literally saying life sucks tough shit while Christianity gives a purpose and and better tomorrow

In my opinion this is all kinds of wrong first off atheism can't say anything on weather or not there is hope it's a lack of acceptance of a proposal. But if you asked me what gives me hope life gives me hope for as long as i have it i can always change something .And even if i can't change it i can make the best off it simple as that really

As for Christianity what hope dose it give that a sociopaths tyrant loves you. That he created a massively screwed up universe for you to live in. That he may or may not have given a working reliable mind if you presuppose he did .And that humanity will either be his bottom bitch for eternity of burn in eternal torment forever this is what gives people hope i don't see it .

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like OrdoSkeptica's post
14-07-2016, 05:53 PM
RE: Dose Atheism give no hope ?
I feel my life has purpose without God in it. In fact, I think it has even more purpose since everything I am doing is coming from my heart and not out of fear of some magical sky daddy.

And life is hard sometimes, but I'd rather face it head on, than hiding under the security blanket of religion.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
14-07-2016, 05:59 PM
Good one jenny

Christianity is a slave religion where you purpose and value are determined by how you perform for the master it's really depressing really

14-07-2016, 06:01 PM
I am a man living with a potentially fatal disease. Everyday I must face and deal with this situation. In total I spent 11 months in hospital. 9 months at the first stretch with 3 doses of the strongest chemo known to man per week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I have clung to my life. Have nearly died more than 5 times. One recently after a forum member and good friend committed suicide. That episode saw me end in the hospital again.

I have no immune system. None at all. A cold can kill me.

Do I think life is worth living? Hell yes!

While in hospital I watched religious people literally give up and place their "soul" in their gods hands. They died soon after. Me? I had no god, just life. And I clung onto it.

Life becomes more precious IMO without a saviour than it is when one has thoughts of an afterlife. A ridiculous notion in my book.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 15 users Like Banjo's post
14-07-2016, 06:06 PM
(14-07-2016 06:01 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I am a man living with a potentially fatal disease. Everyday I must face and deal with this situation. In total I spent 11 months in hospital. 9 months at the first stretch with 3 doses of the strongest chemo known to man per week. Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I have clung to my life. Have nearly died more than 5 times. One recently after a forum member and good friend committed suicide. That episode saw me end in the hospital again.

I have no immune system. None at all. A cold can kill me.

Do I think life is worth living? Hell yes!

While in hospital I watched religious people literally give up and place their "soul" in their gods hands. They died soon after. Me? I had no god, just life. And I clung onto it.

Life becomes more precious IMO without a saviour than it is when one has thoughts of an afterlife. A ridiculous notion in my book.

That shit is deep and totally true

14-07-2016, 07:44 PM
I agree with other's statements on this issue. I feel like atheists place much more value on our lives, many Christians I've known have gladly declared they don't care at all about what happens to them in this life or even what they do. Oh, I just committed a crime? That's cool I'll ask Jesus for forgiveness while I go to prison, it's all good.

They've wasted everything they could've experienced. They were mind slaves to a master who doesn't have the audacity to even say hello to them, that's pretty sad and hopeless if you ask me. Everything I do has a extra layer of importance to it, what is the purpose of my life? To live! That should be enough, how rare and precious it is to be a part of this universe and be conscious, intelligent and self aware, to feel and learn every day until I die.

Where is the hope? I have hope for humanity, for our progression, that every day will be better than the last one. I have hope we will shed our reliance on invisible deities and embrace reality and science. On a personal level I hope when I die I won't feel angry or sad but happy that I lived my life on my own terms, that I never accepted a lesser life because I was afraid. I hope I can be a good example to everyone who knows me, that's it and that's all...still don't need a God for that. I honestly wonder why anyone would. Consider

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
14-07-2016, 08:17 PM
(14-07-2016 07:44 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  I agree with other's statements on this issue. I feel like atheists place much more value on our lives, many Christians I've known have gladly declared they don't care at all about what happens to them in this life or even what they do. Oh, I just committed a crime? That's cool I'll ask Jesus for forgiveness while I go to prison, it's all good.

They've wasted everything they could've experienced. They were mind slaves to a master who doesn't have the audacity to even say hello to them, that's pretty sad and hopeless if you ask me. Everything I do has a extra layer of importance to it, what is the purpose of my life? To live! That should be enough, how rare and precious it is to be a part of this universe and be conscious, intelligent and self aware, to feel and learn every day until I die.

Where is the hope? I have hope for humanity, for our progression, that every day will be better than the last one. I have hope we will shed our reliance on invisible deities and embrace reality and science. On a personal level I hope when I die I won't feel angry or sad but happy that I lived my life on my own terms, that I never accepted a lesser life because I was afraid. I hope I can be a good example to everyone who knows me, that's it and that's all...still don't need a God for that. I honestly wonder why anyone would. Consider

Quoting one of my favorite historical figures again today. Smile

[Image: 75FqVXL.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 7 users Like Banjo's post
14-07-2016, 08:24 PM
(14-07-2016 05:47 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  A while ago i had a conversation with a theist who said the following

Quote:the biggiest problem with atheism is it can't give you hope it's literally saying life sucks tough shit while Christianity gives a purpose and and better tomorrow

In my opinion this is all kinds of wrong first off atheism can't say anything on weather or not there is hope it's a lack of acceptance of a proposal. But if you asked me what gives me hope life gives me hope for as long as i have it i can always change something .And even if i can't change it i can make the best off it simple as that really

As for Christianity what hope dose it give that a sociopaths tyrant loves you. That he created a massively screwed up universe for you to live in. That he may or may not have given a working reliable mind if you presuppose he did .And that humanity will either be his bottom bitch for eternity of burn in eternal torment forever this is what gives people hope i don't see it .

Let's reword that:

Quote:The biggest problem with Christianity is it gives you false hope, it's literally saying you can live in Happy fantasy land after you die in slavery to YHWH forever while atheism gives a freedom from this slavery and a total peace after you die and freedom from the tyranny of eternity.

Depends on your perspective, but ultimately, Christianity is a lie, does it matter what stories it makes up?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 8 users Like TheInquisition's post
14-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Religion - I hope there are no buried lines when I start digging in my yard.
Critical thinking - I shouldn't blindly dig in my yard without knowing where buried lines are.

Religion - Jesus is my co-pilot. I hope I don't get into a crash without my seat belt on.
Rational thought - wearing my seat belt can help in the event of a crash. I think I'll wear it.

Religion - end times are near. I just sold everything I own. I hope I'm the first one raptured today.
Atheism - poor fool. If only he didn't hope for crazy shit to happen, maybe he could see the reality of the crazy shit he believes.

Hope doesn't build a house.
Engineering does.
Hope doesn't give you a foundation to build upon.
You have to actually do the work, move the earth, put together the forms and pour the concrete.

Religion wastes your time on a lie.
Atheism doesn't.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 12 users Like Rahn127's post
14-07-2016, 11:52 PM
(14-07-2016 05:47 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  A while ago i had a conversation with a theist who said the following

I'm an atheist and I don't think life sucks. In fact my philosophy holds life as the supreme value, the one that makes all values possible. I give my life purpose. Me. I don't recognize anyone's right to give me a purpose. I don't sit around hoping for things. I go and make them. I recognize that wishing doesn't make things so. I recognize the fact that I have one life and it's up to me to make it great, not anyone else. It is my responsibility. If I fail I have no one to blame but myself.

When I hear things like this from anyone's mouth, I think that that person is desperate for it to be true, can not find any purpose in life on his own and needs someone to give him a purpose and is resentful and envious of anyone who is leading a happy, productive and purposeful life on his own. Someone who says this is not happy, has no hope and thinks that life sucks. That's why he or she retreats into a fantasy and shuns this world.

Reason, Purpose and self esteem. These are the cardinal virtues. Christianity rejects all three. What was the reason Adam and Eve fell in the story. They gained the knowledge of good and evil. They became rational beings. What is your purpose according to Christianity. To serve a god unquestioningly for a purpose that you can not know, giving up any purpose that you might have for your life. And Self esteem...this is precisely what you are not supposed to have according to theism. You are nothing. You're a worm who needs to crawl on your belly to beg forgiveness for being born. Your mind is impotent and is incapable of thinking. You have to hold yourself as the standard of the evil and place your standard of the good in another realm which is forever out of your reach. You must beg for alms not trade on your own values. Yeah, Theism is the greatest. Where do I sign up?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 4 users Like true scotsman's post