Does Atheism give no hope ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2016, 12:29 AM
RE: Does Atheism give no hope ?
Apart from freedom atheism give one nothing but that's all right cause there aren't much that's beat freedom.

As for christianity giving purpose - if one want his purpose in life being worshiping primitive, genocidal, tribal god then I guess it is jackpot. Otherwise not so much.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
15-07-2016, 01:41 AM
The reality of our world.......of our universe is so much more amazing, enthralling, beautiful and intriguing than any rather dull fairy tale.

There is so much I want to do and to learn before I die. Life is for living and living to the full rather than having to double-think everything because you're told that faith beats reason.

Atheism gives me far more hope than any made-up story that relies on intimidation and cognitive dissonance.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 6 users Like Silly Deity's post
15-07-2016, 02:14 AM
Hi,

My slight beef with atheism is that its got the word 'theism' inside it. Agnostic suits me, as it doesn't imply that I'm for or against anything in particular; just don't know what's going on.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
15-07-2016, 04:02 AM
(15-07-2016 02:14 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

My slight beef with atheism is that its got the word 'theism' inside it. Agnostic suits me, as it doesn't imply that I'm for or against anything in particular; just don't know what's going on.

D.

Well Gnostism teaches that gnosis (variously interpreted as knowledge, enlightenment, salvation, emancipation or 'oneness with God') may be reached by practicing philanthropy to the point of personal poverty, sexual abstinence (as far as possible for hearers, entirely for initiates) and diligently searching for wisdom by helping others.

So you're against all that then?Consider

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
15-07-2016, 04:30 AM
As the OP points out, atheism doesn't actually *do* anything. It's a non-thing.

What being NOT something can do for you is to free you of the trappings of being that thing, especially if we're talking about a cult that teaches its followers to eschew their reasoning skills and sense of self-worth, to trust a Higher Truth™ claiming to be from a Higher Power™ (but that always talks through men's mouths), rather than testing for themselves to see what does and does not stand up to scrutiny.

Thus, while atheism is not in itself a thing, I think the act of willfully refraining from submission to humans who claim to speak from the authority of an invisible being cannot be underestimated. Our culture is rife with these dangerous cults, all telling us that we are bad, but can be good if we just listen to their desired behavior-set and weird mythologies. (That includes the godless ideologies that should be called "religions", too, like Leninism/Maoism, etc.)

What do you get in a world where all people learn to be more rational and stop submitting to our primitive mythological systems of society-building? Well, for one thing, we get a lot fewer trucks driven into crowds on Bastille Day. Undecided

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Theists "have hope" without god as well as atheists..............

They've just got delusions about the source of their hope........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-07-2016, 11:49 AM
With only reading the title question I will say that as an atheist for me it means ULTIMATELY there's no hope for me as an apparently living organism. However, that's irrelavent because there will be no me to care upon my demise. I have hope that the rest of my life will be as fulfilling as possible and no hope nor concern about after I die (for me personally, I do presently HOPE humanity carries on and does well) because I will not exist at that point.
15-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Atheism isn't meant to give hope.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
15-07-2016, 12:26 PM
Atheism just reminds us that the Universe doesn't care about our survival.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
15-07-2016, 01:26 PM
The bottom line for me is that I want to believe what's true, not what makes me feel better. Hope is worthless if it's false hope. If there is truly no hope, it's much better to accept that than to twist your mind into a pretzel trying to convince yourself of the opposite.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post