Does Dawkins Fear Philosophy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2011, 10:30 AM
RE: Does Dawkins Fear Philosophy?
One last shot in Dawkins' defense. In a recent interview of Hitchens by Dawkins:
Quote:Richard Dawkins One of my main beefs with religion is the way they label children as a "Catholic child" or a "Muslim child". I've become a bit of a bore about it.
Christopher Hitchens You must never be afraid of that charge, any more than stridency.
RD I will remember that.
CH If I was strident, it doesn't matter - I was a jobbing hack, I bang my drum. You have a discipline in which you are very distinguished. You've educated a lot of people; nobody denies that, not even your worst enemies. You see your discipline being attacked and defamed and attempts made to drive it out.
Stridency is the least you should muster . . . It's the shame of your colleagues that they don't form ranks and say, "Listen, we're going to defend our colleagues from these appalling and obfuscating elements."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-12-2011, 11:44 AM
(13-12-2011 10:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  Richard Dawkins One of my main beefs with religion is the way they label children as a "Catholic child" or a "Muslim child". I've become a bit of a bore about

I first encountered this argument in Sam Harris' "The End of Faith." I've even used it with a few True Believers and those few have actually agreed. The fuller idea from Harris is don't label children as, for example, a "Muslim child." It's more precise to say, a "child of Muslim parents." The point being, children don't have the developmental capacity to be making religious decisions for themselves...instead of "accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior" at the age of 6 because I was afraid of going to hell.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
26-12-2011, 09:45 PM
(12-12-2011 08:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  As I said in that other thread:

The reason Dawkins won't debate Craig is that you cannot have a meaningful debate with someone who believes:
"Should a conflict arise between the witness of the Holy Spirit to the fundamental truth of the Christian faith and beliefs based on argument and evidence, then it is the former which must take precedence over the latter, not vice versa." Yes, that is what Wm. L. Craig said.

Debating someone who does not believe in argument and evidence is pointless.

It's like trying to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and just annoys the pig.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly. The problem with debating theistic philosophers is that they, literally, are rejecting the construct of tangible evidence in place of an idea based on nothing. What people like Craig don't seem to understand is that you cannot philosophize a being into existence; gods either exist or they don't, and no metaphysical arguments can change that

The only reason, I could see, to debate such a theist would be to publicly dismantle their arguments (like Hitchens did), knowing that they'll likely never reconsider their beliefs, but because other people are listening and *they* might

"it is a principle innate and co-natural to every man to have an insatiable inclination to the truth, and to seek for it as for hid treasure..."
-Thomas Aikenhead
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mia's post