Does Death Bother You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2017 02:43 PM by Cosmo.)
Does Death Bother You?
And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

But yeah I've never really asked how other agnostics/atheists feel.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
27-04-2017, 02:43 PM
RE: Does Death Bother You?
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

We are biologically programmed to be afraid of dying and to avoid pain as much as possible. Some concerns override such fears, but I don't know that anything can obliterate them except perhaps heavy sedatives.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Whose?
[+] 10 users Like pablo's post
27-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Does Death Bother You?
Why should I be scared of death? To quote Epicurus: Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not..

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 8 users Like Szuchow's post
27-04-2017, 02:53 PM
(27-04-2017 02:52 PM)pablo Wrote:  Whose?

LOL
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
27-04-2017, 02:56 PM
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

But yeah I've never really asked how other agnostics/atheists feel.
I do have fears when going to the doctors sometimes. Is that bump on my skin cancer? Oh fuck, I hope it's not cancer.
That scares me.

It really depends how you interpret the questions. I'm not afraid of what comes after death, but I'm not mentally ready to embrace death right now.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
27-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Quote:We are biologically programmed to be afraid of dying and to avoid pain as much as possible. Some concerns override such fears, but I don't know that anything can obliterate them except perhaps heavy sedatives.

Lol... the really good stuff. Laugh out load

Lol yeah. The longer you live the more likely you'll land a lay.

Yeah maybe it's not so much fear of death so much as fear of impending death; knowing it's coming and having time to comprehend it would be difficult I think. I remember I got in a car crash so quickly, and the loss of consciousness I experienced was so rapid and deep that it was almost pleasant looking back. The being unconscious part wasn't frightening at all. Coming back and dealing with the aftermath of the accident was.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 3 users Like Cosmo's post
27-04-2017, 02:58 PM
No.
I don't want to - I've got shit to do. But eventually, it will happen. It's not as if I can do anything about it.

The lead up to losing consciousness might be what people are most afraid of. I know I don't want to suffer so, I hope it happens quickly.

But just the idea of never being conscious again...? I guess I'm just at the point of indifference.

But, I'm a life long atheist, I've never had a net. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
27-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Woody Allen had it right. He said he wasn't afraid of death, he just didn't want to be there when it happened. Tongue
[+] 7 users Like Airportkid's post
27-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Quote:I do have fears when going to the doctors sometimes. Is that bump on my skin cancer? Oh fuck, I hope it's not cancer.
That scares me.

It really depends how you interpret the questions. I'm not afraid of what comes after death, but I'm not mentally ready to embrace death right now.

Lol yeah I actually had a stint there where I had a bit of a phobia of cancer. So ridiculous.

I have noticed that. How when you're young the idea of death seems unfair and sad, yet if you make it to long life, many elderly seem extremely comfortable with the idea of dying.

I'm not at all afraid of waking up to an afterlife. More realistically because there is something instead of nothing, a baby will be born somewhere that will experience consciousness in my stead and the circle of life spins ever onward.

Quote:No.
I don't want to - I've got shit to do. But eventually, it will happen. It's not as if I can do anything about it.

The lead up to losing consciousness might be what people are most afraid of. I know I don't want to suffer so, I hope it happens quickly.

But just the idea of never being conscious again...? I guess I'm just at the point of indifference.

But, I'm a life long atheist, I've never had a net.

Agreed on almost all counts. I was deeply religious as a teen. It's actually kind of hilarious to me now.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 2 users Like Cosmo's post