Does Death Bother You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 03:11 PM
RE: Does Death Bother You?
Quote:Why should I be scared of death? To quote Epicurus: Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not..

This is a good quote. Smile

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 6 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
27-04-2017, 03:13 PM
As I always keep saying, I don't care about death. Dying is a different matter. That can be quite ugly. But death? I'm not aware of what happened in the 50ies. I haven't been around. So, returning to a state of oblivion is just how things were.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like abaris's post
27-04-2017, 03:31 PM
I'm scared of other people's deaths, because I will miss them when they're gone. I'm not afraid of my own death, though.
[+] 5 users Like AnaBunny's post
27-04-2017, 03:37 PM
(27-04-2017 03:13 PM)abaris Wrote:  I'm not aware of what happened in the 50ies.

You didn't miss much.
27-04-2017, 03:57 PM
Does Death Bother You?
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

But yeah I've never really asked how other agnostics/atheists feel.

I don't give it much thought, to be perfectly honest. I only worry about things I can control. Sooner or later I will die, as will everyone else. Instead of worrying about something you can't change, make the most of the time you have here. Make every day a meaningful one. Tell your loved ones you love them and mean it.
[+] 1 user Likes Rachel's post
27-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Only the one time.............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-04-2017, 04:15 PM
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

But yeah I've never really asked how other agnostics/atheists feel.

Dying bothers me. All that stuff leading up to death. From what I've seen it tends to be the worst mixes of uncomfortable, painful, undignified, and disempowering.

But as for being dead?

Well, I've got stuff I want to do before I'm dead. The thought of ending up dead without doing it, well, I don't want that to happen. And I kinda enjoy life, and I won't trade "enjoy" for "nothing" eagerly.

The only sort of afterlife I believe in is a "living on in your legacy" sort of thing, and that only in a poetic sense. There won't be a ME once I'm dead to experience anything, much less have feelings about the experience. And I'm okay with that. All in all, any other system I can think of seems utterly horrifying if examined in detail, however attractive it might seem on the surface.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
27-04-2017, 04:46 PM
I think a similar question was asked before and my answer was; being dead won't bother me but getting dead might.
Once I'm dead I won't know I'm dead, and I won't miss being alive, just like billions of years before I was born.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
27-04-2017, 05:02 PM
First dead person I saw was at age 6. Mom sent me to the neighbors for a couple of eggs. Father was home, he'd ate a shotgun. Very messy. Didn't freak me out. Later I joined the USN, and killed a few people myself. Still not freaked. When I die I doubt I'll be bothered much.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
27-04-2017, 05:09 PM
(27-04-2017 02:43 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

We are biologically programmed to be afraid of dying and to avoid pain as much as possible. Some concerns override such fears, but I don't know that anything can obliterate them except perhaps heavy sedatives.

Yabbut, these instincts tend to lessen as you grow old and decrepit. Once most of your peers are gone, and every damn thing you want to do hurts somewhere, and your body falls apart piece by piece, death doesn't look so bad, more like a friend.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post