Does Death Bother You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 05:09 PM
RE: Does Death Bother You?
My opinion of death has changed recently. If you would've asked me a few months ago I would've been like "hell yes!"

"Death is the cessation of sensation"

When you die it is quite like a dreamless sleep. Even though I do not want to die I know that I will and I know that when I die I will not have the means to be discontented with my death because I will no longer be conscious.
If I worried about my death up to when the time comes my life would be very grim and not very happy.

My husband, who I love greatly, will die someday. He will probably die before I do (statistically) and I will be left alone. I'm not afraid of his death but I am afraid of being without him. When he dies, I will cry, and feel alone but I know he wouldn't want me to. I will appreciate the life he led. I will appreciate the time we've had.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Larai19's post
27-04-2017, 05:15 PM
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

But yeah I've never really asked how other agnostics/atheists feel.

Hell yes, death bothers me. I would rather not die, please.
But scared? Nope, not at all. I have been so close to kicking the bucket so many times, if it happens it happens. Doesn't mean I don't care about life, but you know, stuff can happen.
I am not even scared of dieing from an illness or so. Honestly, I got to terms with the fact that one day my lungs will probably give up as they are already showing signs of that and I am only in my 30s.

I used to be scared shitless just thinking about death because it is an unknown and I was generally scared of everything I didn't know. Not anymore though. I know that my death will only be hard on the loved ones I leave behind. My loved ones all have received directions on what I would prefer happen to me after I die. They also received direction from me what to do if I cannot make decisions (like in a coma). I don't care if there is an after life or reincarnation or nothing at all. Why? Because nobody knows, there is no way to find out, so why bother? Why waste my energy, time, and good mood on worrying about something that is neither in my control nor changeable. One day it will happen, for all of us.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
27-04-2017, 05:16 PM
(27-04-2017 05:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 02:43 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  We are biologically programmed to be afraid of dying and to avoid pain as much as possible. Some concerns override such fears, but I don't know that anything can obliterate them except perhaps heavy sedatives.

Yabbut, these instincts tend to lessen as you grow old and decrepit. Once most of your peers are gone, and every damn thing you want to do hurts somewhere, and your body falls apart piece by piece, death doesn't look so bad, more like a friend.

Like slipping into a warm bath.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
27-04-2017, 05:19 PM
I have a, I guess you could call it, empathy disorder? I can't comprehend the idea of being scared of my own death, the death of other people bothers me but my own just doesn't really register for me. I like being alive though so I've never really been suicidal and I'm not an idiot so it's not like I play in traffic or anything, but I'm also not risk adverse and can be more than a little reckless at times.

I also have no concept of jealousy, I legitimately have no idea what it feels like. And I have never felt embarrassed before either. Life has been a challenge at times as I often unintentionally cause other people embarrassment as all through my teens and even into my early life it was hard for me to navigate that particular social maze.

You have no idea how hard dating is haha.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
27-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Death? Not any more.
Dying? You bet because there are a TON of unpleasant ways to go and you never know when it is coming.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
27-04-2017, 06:05 PM
(27-04-2017 05:09 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-04-2017 02:43 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  We are biologically programmed to be afraid of dying and to avoid pain as much as possible. Some concerns override such fears, but I don't know that anything can obliterate them except perhaps heavy sedatives.

Yabbut, these instincts tend to lessen as you grow old and decrepit. Once most of your peers are gone, and every damn thing you want to do hurts somewhere, and your body falls apart piece by piece, death doesn't look so bad, more like a friend.

That's very true. We have longevity in my granny's family and a number of the women especially, are SO ready to *go*. "Why can't he just take me ?" I've heard so many times. I've seen many people die in the hospital. Many times it's a peaceful bonding experience for a family. If you have no experience with old age and disease, it's hard to imaging, but yeah "the ready to go" is also definitely built in. One of the things you have to experience to get, is they complain "everyone who was ever important to me, that made my life what it was, is gone". That's SO sad to hear.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2017, 06:34 PM
"Death is part of life." (Code Bushido)
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
27-04-2017, 06:35 PM
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

But yeah I've never really asked how other agnostics/atheists feel.

Death only bothers me when he wants money for dope and I won't give it to him.
Then he can be a regular nag.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
27-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Nope.
I remember I had gallbladder attack. Very, very painful one. At that time I didn't know what it was but I thought that I was dying. It was not scary at all. I was ready to die.
I am also very excited about entering new world. I like new experiences. I can't wait to meet my ancestors and all those who are not my ancestors but for whom I did important work.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
27-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Only once!

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post