Does Death Bother You?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2017, 06:52 PM
RE: Does Death Bother You?
Not really. When I hear about some technological innovation and start daydreaming about how things will be a hundred or a thousand years from now I might have a moment of regret that I won't be around to experience it unless there's some major transhumanist related breakthroughs in the next couple decades. But I honestly believe I've come to terms with the concept of dying, the pain of dying, not existing, etc. Even developed a morbid curiosity. Like, I'll see a video of the daeshbags burning some guy alive and think to myself that I hope I go out like that just so that as one final test of will I can find out of I have the strength of mind to give them the finger with a grin on my face amidst the pain as my consciousness fades.

I saw plenty of death in the military. Most of it didn't get to me, the big exception being when kids were involved.

Now as a correctional officer in a place with everything from gang members on trial for murder to jihadi wannabes on trial for conspiracy to commit terrorism, Inmates give me death threats on a near daily basis. Some perhaps legitimate, most more along the lines of a chihuahua running its yapper. In any case, my disinterest in how scary they think they are isn't just an act. There's little in this world anyone can take from me that I haven't spent time psychologically preparing myself for the possibility of losing and I get a little bit turned on at the thought of a bunch of gang bangers attempting a hit on me or something. And a little disappointed at the thought that most of them are full of shit and it will never actually happen.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-04-2017, 07:02 PM
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

But yeah I've never really asked how other agnostics/atheists feel.

The question in the title of the thread is stupid. Death bothers everyone. Even the fearless, they may not fear the pain or conflict, say as in war, but they'd be lying if they say they would't miss their family and friends, or fear them missing them.

Of course it frightens me. But it will scare any sane person who will go into battle or physical conflict.

The issue isn't fight vs flight. The issue is lack of understanding as to how evolution works. And in evolution BOTH fight and flight work.

I failed out of military basic training when I was 18. Emotionally I could not handle it. By the time I entered, I had a childhood and teen years of nothing but bullies. I was doomed even before I signed up.

But, even for the gung ho, the guys who look forward to violence and conflict because they think they are fighting a greater good, their bravery does not negate the fear. The nerd and jock all have family, the one who stays and the one who runs all have families.

I do have fear of conflict. I don't have fear of death. I do have fear pain, I don't have fear of life after I die just as I don't have fear of life before I existed. Even the physically brave have the same fear I do. Humans fear pain, we fear not existing, we fear not being there for our loved ones, we fear our loved ones missing us. Fight or flight does not change that.

Mohammed Ali was a very physically brave boxer. I admired him for his bucking the Veit Nam war. But his worst fear was not making it into the after life. That was his fear of death. My fear of death isn't of fictional places, but merely of seeing it coming and fear of pain. Ali was a great man, but his fear was based on superstition, not self preservation.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
27-04-2017, 07:46 PM
(27-04-2017 02:37 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  And be honest too. Does it frighten you? As an agnostic I'd say yeah I'm actually pretty scared. Not of the actual being dead part, but all of the stuff that leads up to it.

The being dead bit doesn't bother me. The process of dying terrifies me. It's usually painful and drawn out.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
27-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Does Death Bother You?

I can not comprehend what it is like to not exist. That sounds stupid but that's the way it is. Thinking about me not existing makes me feel confused. Again, stupid reaction but that's the way it is.

Any fear is a result of something unknown happening. For some reason humans fear the unknown.

I guess as long as you fear death more than life, you will be ok.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
27-04-2017, 08:34 PM

No, honestly it doesn't. Getting too old to do the things I love to do like mountain biking does though. When I can no longer do that I'll be ready to go.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
27-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Does Death Bother You?
(27-04-2017 05:02 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  First dead person I saw was at age 6. Mom sent me to the neighbors for a couple of eggs. Father was home, he'd ate a shotgun. Very messy. Didn't freak me out.

Did you get the eggs?
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
27-04-2017, 08:40 PM
(27-04-2017 06:40 PM)Alla Wrote:  Nope.
I remember I had gallbladder attack. Very, very painful one. At that time I didn't know what it was but I thought that I was dying. It was not scary at all. I was ready to die.
I am also very excited about entering new world. I like new experiences. I can't wait to meet my ancestors and all those who are not my ancestors but for whom I did important work.

Anyone notice she left out Jebus ? She can't wait to meet these people, yet not one mention of a god. Facepalm

Facepalm

Experiences are processed in healthy brains. Her brain will be even deader.
There in no mechanism for "experiences".
Oh well. You can make up shit and tell yourself it's true, I guess.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Does Death Bother You?
(27-04-2017 06:40 PM)Alla Wrote:  I am also very excited about entering new world. I like new experiences. I can't wait to meet my ancestors and all those who are not my ancestors but for whom I did important work.

What if your ancestors were vile people that only want to butt rape you in the afterlife?
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
27-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Does Death Bother You?
I wish I had the religious mindset of "Everything will be better in Heaven" or whatever. But I am an atheist. I know there is nothing but for my atoms to be recycled back into the cosmos. I know that once I take my last breath. That'll be it. I will cease to exist in this world. Dark. Done. Zero. A big fat zero. I worry how my kids will get along without me. Not being to ask dad for help on cars or projects or advice. That makes me sad. I have dealt with death an awful lot in my life. I have seen hundreds if not thousands of dead people in my career as a fireman paramedic (now retired). I have seen the worst of the worst. People mangled, kids dying in front of me. Burnt bodies, shredded limbs. Seen people taking their lasts gulps of air. I have seen a persons life go out of their eyes. I have swept up whats left of a person using kitty litter and swept them into a bag. I've seen heads removed on pavement like a pencil erasure. I have seen to ultimate violence and evil in man. It is a dark place and I am glad I left. But It is haunting me still to this day. I don't want to die but I know its coming. It's coming for all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post
27-04-2017, 10:03 PM
(27-04-2017 06:40 PM)Alla Wrote:  Nope.
I remember I had gallbladder attack. Very, very painful one. At that time I didn't know what it was but I thought that I was dying. It was not scary at all. I was ready to die.
I am also very excited about entering new world.

You still wear your seatbelt? : Coffee:

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post